• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought the grossest, most disgusting collection
6 6

171 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I'm done working on this today.  I'm pooped.  Taking in a collection is a LOT of work.

Overall, I'm please because these are all looking pretty good outside the comic bags.

Here's the last couple pics I snapped.

I don't know anything about TMNT comics.  Hopefully there's something good there.

FullSizeRender-47.jpeg

FullSizeRender-49.jpeg

That TMNT 7 second print is legit. 

9 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I don't know anything about TMNT comics.  Hopefully there's something good there.

FullSizeRender-49.jpeg

I'm not the local turtles expert by far, but there's some cash in that stack of turtles. Not "TMNT 1" cash, sadly, but still nice. Off the top of my head, the #3 reprint (top row, far right; note: multiple printings complicate things), #6 (top row, center, with the triceratops), and especially the #7 reprint (bottom row, blue cover) are all pretty good books to have in the grades these appear to be in.

Ok, so if you're curious.... I paid $800 for these 11 boxes.  I only wanted to offer $500 because of how the boxes looked, but she's a friend of a friend so I offered $750.  She countered with $850.  I grimaced and countered with $800. Done deal.  

I'm going to do pretty good on it now that I know the comics are in great shape.  But.... there's a lot of work ahead.

Many years ago I put an ad in the local Craigslist buying/consigning comics.  I visited one guy who answered the ad and asked me if he could consign a short box of books he had.  I opened the box and there was a combination of comics, mostly modern, and a few TPBs.  The smell of cigarettes was overpowering when he opened the box.  I picked up the TPBs and noticed they were stamped with the name of a Correctional Facility.  He confessed to me that he had been incarcerated and was making a new life for himself.  I told him that selling comics that smelled of cigarettes was going to be difficult and I declined.  After lighting up another Marlboro and snapping off the filter I think he said something to the tune of, "what cigarette smell?"

8 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I've been told this is the 1st appearance of Beebop & RockSteady.  Looks to be in great shape

IMG_5081.jpeg

It is, and it goes for a pretty penny but also worth keeping in a collection  :)

Even though I would wear a bio-hazard suit going through a collection like that, it would still be entertaining to go through it all.  I still go through my own collection in order to list stuff in my sales thread, and I still get excited when I come across something I had forgotten all about.  My stuff is in a much cleaner environment though.  lol

WOW!!! What an amazing collection. (minus the cat poop) ....

I once purchased a full run of Iron Man from 1-200 all mid-high grade. The boxes were soaked in rat pee & poop! 🐀 💩 ... I had a homemade hazmat suit with 3 layers of clothing, rubber gloves, goggles, and ventilator mask. Unboxing was HORRENDOUS, but the books were EXTRAORDINARY!

Searching through junk shops and putting classifieds in newspapers and stores for 35 years i have seen a lot of stuff like this, mouse chewed comics and ones full of mouse poop or a whole stack that had been eaten completely through top to bottom my bugs. I once got and answer to a classified ad of mine in the early 90s from this guy that said he had tons of comics in his garage. He obviously didn't look at them before he called me because when I got there the box had been sitting on the garage floor for decades and gotten wet constantly and only the very top few comics weren't totally a disgusting mess. it was mostly late 50s and early 60s stuff. The only comics I salvaged out of there was a Batman 127 and a couple Date With Judy comics and those were water damaged kind of bad and still stink or mildew and stuff to this day. The rest were a soggy pulpy disgusting mess and had to be tossed.

HOW did the hoarder end up with those books are in amazing condition???

She may find them outside of the closed comic book store or someone threw them away at their front yard where she picked them up at the curbside.

I KNOW hoarders who pick up everything in the path and NEVER threw them away.  I am shocked that she let them go to you.

Yes, it was a big mess but it was a MESSY fortunate!