• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought the grossest, most disgusting collection
6 6

171 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2022 at 3:41 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

Does CGC downgrade for smelly comics? (shrug)???:foryou:

I stuck my nose in the $4 box, and there were CGC employees scattering like...., well..., use your imagination.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:34 AM, gadzukes said:

As I recall, she knew NOTHING about comics but heard they could be valuable.  She saw these at a thrift store and paid $500 for them all 11 long boxes thinking she was going to get rich.

She admitted to me that all the boxes and everything was in mint shape when she bought them.   She had a few people look at them thru the years but no one wanted them.  I wonder why :roflmao:

I think she bought at a pretty decent price..  

On 4/20/2021 at 12:02 AM, gadzukes said:

I'm sure other board members have lots of war stories to tell about collections they've bought, but.... wow I just went to see (and ended up buying) such a disgusting presenting collection.  Ugh!!!

11 long boxes.  It's sitting in the back of my (covered) pick up right now.  I don't even want to bring it into my garage (my wife will divorce me if she sees it).

The woman who had them was a hoarder, a cat person, a bird person..... she wouldn't let me into her house (cuz she was embarassed).  When I arrived she had 4 of the long boxes in her front yard and she was trying to clean the cat vomit and bird poop off of them.  She later told me that her cats have eaten on top of the boxes for years.  Ugh!!!!

Yes, I know... you want to run away right now.  But what if there's a major key issue?????

From talking to her I knew it was a Copper/Modern collection which is a time period I don't know a lot about (except that there's a ton of drek in the 90s)

But..... there's always a chance of Some Batman Adventures, or New Mutants 98, or Walking Dead so I stopped breathing thru my nose and plunged in.

The first box I grabbed had early Teen Titans including #2.  My big test was to open the disgusting mylar and see if the comic inside was actually nice.  Ugh! To my delight it was actually fairly high grade.

I found many more keys from the era.  Probably the biggest comic I found was The Crow 1 in pretty nice shape.  I also found Xmen 266 in nice shape.

There's a bunch of Turtles comics which I don't know a lot about (and didn't feel like figuring out at the time because of how disgusting everything was)

I made a fairly low ball offer because of how disgusting everything was.... she took it.... and now.... my goal is to remove every comic and dispose of the awfulness of the bags boards and boxes as soon as possible.  But... with 11 long boxes, that's a lot of work!!!!

Here's a pic of the Crow 1 comic.  Front cover presents like a 9.0, but there's some small flaws on the back cover.  By itself it will probably pay for the entire collection.

2nd pic is of one some of the boxes I was dealing with.  As bad as I've ever seen! I think her cats used the boxes as a scratching post.  Luckily EVERY comic I checked out was good in the mylar, but the mylars are disgusting too.  It's really bad.

Have any of you had to deal with a disgusting "presenting" collection like this?  I will say this.... It sure makes negotiating easy.

IMG_5049.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

My Crow 1 is coming back from CGC as an 8.5. :banana: That's about a $1000 comic.  I figure there were about 3000 comics in this collection.  I paid $.27c per comic.  Not a bad profit.

On 4/20/2021 at 3:01 PM, gadzukes said:

Got the whole Weapon X series from Marvel Comics Presents.  The 72 has the "color loss" on the free edge.  Is that a manufacturing defect?  I've noticed about 1 in 5 copies have the exact same defect.

IMG_5069.jpeg

This one is coming back from CGC as a 9.6