• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought the grossest, most disgusting collection
6 6

171 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

HOW did the hoarder end up with those books are in amazing condition???

She may find them outside of the closed comic book store or someone threw them away at their front yard where she picked them up at the curbside.

I KNOW hoarders who pick up everything in the path and NEVER threw them away.  I am shocked that she let them go to you.

Yes, it was a big mess but it was a MESSY fortunate!

download.png

31 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

HOW did the hoarder end up with those books are in amazing condition???

She may find them outside of the closed comic book store or someone threw them away at their front yard where she picked them up at the curbside.

I KNOW hoarders who pick up everything in the path and NEVER threw them away.  I am shocked that she let them go to you.

Yes, it was a big mess but it was a MESSY fortunate!

I think she told me she bought them at a thrift store 12 years ago.  

15 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Ok, so if you're curious.... I paid $800 for these 11 boxes.  I only wanted to offer $500 because of how the boxes looked, but she's a friend of a friend so I offered $750.  She countered with $850.  I grimaced and countered with $800. Done deal.  

I'm going to do pretty good on it now that I know the comics are in great shape.  But.... there's a lot of work ahead.

And to be fair... There is a lot more money that goes into processing the collection that wasn't flip friendly from the start - new boxes, new bags and boards, grading fees, time, storage, overhead / sunk costs. 

1 hour ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

And to be fair... There is a lot more money that goes into processing the collection that wasn't flip friendly from the start - new boxes, new bags and boards, grading fees, time, storage, overhead / sunk costs. 

Bingo!!!

If this was a simple flip then I would have made out like a bandit on this collection, but this is going to be hours and hours of work.  I'm going to "earn" every last cent of profit on this one.

54 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Bingo!!!

If this was a simple flip then I would have made out like a bandit on this collection, but this is going to be hours and hours of work.  I'm going to "earn" every last cent of profit on this one.

You got some good books!^^

any other new scores today? How many boxes do you still need to go thru?

I would replace everything, even if it doesn’t look poop brown, doesn’t mean there may not be some toxicity there. 2c

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Seems to be a lot of Independent comics in one box.

Like this Stickboy.

Any independents that I should be keeping an eye out for?

IMG_5124.jpeg

That may be copper, this thread is bronze, so dont think it helps but maybe, dont know what all you got!

On 4/20/2021 at 12:02 AM, gadzukes said:

I'm sure other board members have lots of war stories to tell about collections they've bought, but.... wow I just went to see (and ended up buying) such a disgusting presenting collection.  Ugh!!!

11 long boxes.  It's sitting in the back of my (covered) pick up right now.  I don't even want to bring it into my garage (my wife will divorce me if she sees it).

The woman who had them was a hoarder, a cat person, a bird person..... she wouldn't let me into her house (cuz she was embarassed).  When I arrived she had 4 of the long boxes in her front yard and she was trying to clean the cat vomit and bird poop off of them.  She later told me that her cats have eaten on top of the boxes for years.  Ugh!!!!

Yes, I know... you want to run away right now.  But what if there's a major key issue?????

From talking to her I knew it was a Copper/Modern collection which is a time period I don't know a lot about (except that there's a ton of drek in the 90s)

But..... there's always a chance of Some Batman Adventures, or New Mutants 98, or Walking Dead so I stopped breathing thru my nose and plunged in.

The first box I grabbed had early Teen Titans including #2.  My big test was to open the disgusting mylar and see if the comic inside was actually nice.  Ugh! To my delight it was actually fairly high grade.

I found many more keys from the era.  Probably the biggest comic I found was The Crow 1 in pretty nice shape.  I also found Xmen 266 in nice shape.

There's a bunch of Turtles comics which I don't know a lot about (and didn't feel like figuring out at the time because of how disgusting everything was)

I made a fairly low ball offer because of how disgusting everything was.... she took it.... and now.... my goal is to remove every comic and dispose of the awfulness of the bags boards and boxes as soon as possible.  But... with 11 long boxes, that's a lot of work!!!!

Here's a pic of the Crow 1 comic.  Front cover presents like a 9.0, but there's some small flaws on the back cover.  By itself it will probably pay for the entire collection.

2nd pic is of one some of the boxes I was dealing with.  As bad as I've ever seen! I think her cats used the boxes as a scratching post.  Luckily EVERY comic I checked out was good in the mylar, but the mylars are disgusting too.  It's really bad.

Have any of you had to deal with a disgusting "presenting" collection like this?  I will say this.... It sure makes negotiating easy.

IMG_5049.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Wow.....I thought that might have been the coffin the Crow crawled out of.....:smile:   

On 4/20/2021 at 5:29 PM, Haupia said:

WOW!!! What an amazing collection. (minus the cat poop) ....

I once purchased a full run of Iron Man from 1-200 all mid-high grade. The boxes were soaked in rat pee & poop! 🐀 💩 ... I had a homemade hazmat suit with 3 layers of clothing, rubber gloves, goggles, and ventilator mask. Unboxing was HORRENDOUS, but the books were EXTRAORDINARY!

I think you meant to say was “Stupendous!!!”

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Seems to be a lot of Independent comics in one box.

Like this Stickboy.

Any independents that I should be keeping an eye out for?

IMG_5124.jpeg

yummy fur 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302374614173?hash=item4666ee749d:g:SrEAAOSwcB5ZEBjT