• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought the grossest, most disgusting collection
6 6

171 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2022 at 7:25 PM, Poekaymon said:

Again.  I've heard people say it does.  And I've heard people say they have seen it in notes.  What I'm looking for is some cgc #s of books that seem to support it--not more testimony.

Makes Sense :) no harm in that (thumbsu

I hope if ever it's found, that I see it for myself too :wishluck: 

On 2/26/2022 at 7:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I understand . I thought where I clarified that mixed with other defects that I didnt know how far it would degrade would suffice.

If the question is do they consider it? then it's a definite yes is all I'm saying. I'm not sure how you read that, I cant clarify any further as to what I remember. Whether it has to be a major factor? Enough to get a qualified label? I'm not sure, but wasn't really insinuating anything other then they DO notice. How far it's taken into account is anyone's guess.

Sorry to offend :)

Not offended, we've been civil so far.  But you are misunderstanding me.  It's possible they are sniffing and downgrading like crazy over there at the CGC offices.  I'm just saying I think it's rare, at best, but I'd be happy to examine hard evidence (e.g., not youtube links or anecdotal evidence) to the contrary. No offense intended.  

On 2/26/2022 at 7:33 PM, Poekaymon said:

Actual photo of a CGC grader on the job.

00cli-odor-promo-superJumbo.thumb.jpg.8307057c154e59eb87dbc4f6016b7574.jpg

I did take the opportunity to look through my slabs. Since graders notes with an account are free, I went through and added that detail to each book in the registry, for moments such as this lol

There were slabs I remembered had moisture through whole of book and or real bad if tanning.

And yet none mentioned odor nor mold. (thumbsu

Several years ago I bought a set of 50 ASM books that still had the string on them. How
often do you get a chance to do that?

I think I paid like $20 for 50 of them. It was ASM 379 Max Carnage issue from memory.
What a deal I thought. Got them in the mail and the package and books reeked of
cigarette smoke. The guy knew it as well and didn't tell me. I spent weeks aerating
the books and using bounce sheets. I can't image how disgusting it was to go thru
those books. I hope by now you torched those boxes. 

Great find and glad the books are ok.

@thehumantorch and I went to look at a collection once and the owner had a few cats and wasn't into cleaning too much: there was cat hair everywhere. The comic boxes didn't have lids on them and there was hair everywhere even inside the bags for the books that were lucky enough to have a bag on them.

We looked for a little while but it was difficult to tolerate the conditions of the place. Breathing was difficult and my skin turned red and began to itch.

If I recall we only bought a couple of books.

On 2/27/2022 at 1:52 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Hi gadzukes, nice find!

Curious, did this lady actually read and collect the comics or did they belong to a relative??

As I recall, she knew NOTHING about comics but heard they could be valuable.  She saw these at a thrift store and paid $500 for them all 11 long boxes thinking she was going to get rich.

She admitted to me that all the boxes and everything was in mint shape when she bought them.   She had a few people look at them thru the years but no one wanted them.  I wonder why :roflmao:

On 2/26/2022 at 8:32 PM, Poekaymon said:

Not offended, we've been civil so far.  But you are misunderstanding me.  It's possible they are sniffing and downgrading like crazy over there at the CGC offices.  I'm just saying I think it's rare, at best, but I'd be happy to examine hard evidence (e.g., not youtube links or anecdotal evidence) to the contrary. No offense intended.  

In my experience, books with odor issues aren't downgraded just for the odor, but I have seen books that were downgraded due to the source of the odor...    

On 2/27/2022 at 4:56 AM, Artboy99 said:

Great find and glad the books are ok.

@thehumantorch and I went to look at a collection once and the owner had a few cats and wasn't into cleaning too much: there was cat hair everywhere. The comic boxes didn't have lids on them and there was hair everywhere even inside the bags for the books that were lucky enough to have a bag on them.

We looked for a little while but it was difficult to tolerate the conditions of the place. Breathing was difficult and my skin turned red and began to itch.

If I recall we only bought a couple of books.

That was a stinky mess.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@joeypost does odor affect cgc grading?

I've removed odor (usually must) by rubbing my hand across each page and laying in front of fan for 5 minutes.  Takes a while to do the whole book but it works.  I came up with this after reading surely youre joking mr feynman where he discovered you can tell which book someone has picked up from a shelf that has been sitting for years.  Merely touching it removes much of the old smell.  I have successfully done this 'magic trick' before.