• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

why? isn't that pretty easy money? it seems a lot of books can get rejected pretty quickly at $5 a pop.

At what overall cost though?  It is more satisfying to have a book graded then to have a book rejected.   So perhaps they are weighing their options.   It's a good question that is raised and one that could be posted to CGC as to the reasoning that they are doing certain things. 

Hey, there is no more LTPC to worry about -5 on threads so perhaps threads in the 'ask cgc' area might be of service.  I will might start one later. 

1 minute ago, the blob said:

The pre-screen is a 37.5% hike. The other stuff is more modest (15% or so) and can be justified more in that there haven't been some hikes for a while, so 5 years of 2-3% inflation, etc. They're going to get fewer pre-screens. But maybe they want that. 

Which is why my first post in the thread alluded that maybe people have to think about what they submit or get hosed for it.

It's good all around I think. Maybe more people will actively learn how to grade themselves. 

Not to say when you see what you think is an awesome book, and cgc grades it a 9.2 isnt a huge disappointment. But that's how it goes. 

Kinda the fun of collecting in my opinion. 

38 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

hm wonder if the same people complaining about the hike also use Apple products 

My new iMac came in the time frame promised so I had no issue with it. lol 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Which is why my first post in the thread alluded that maybe people have to think about what they submit or get hosed for it.

It's good all around I think. Maybe more people will actively learn how to grade themselves. 

Not to say when you see what you think is an awesome book, and cgc grades it a 9.2 isnt a huge disappointment. But that's how it goes. 

sorry, but virtual professionals who submit a ton of books here are often wrong between 9.6 and 9.8  and 9.6 and 9.4, it isn't so much about "learning"

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

sorry, but virtual professionals who submit a ton of books here are often wrong between 9.6 and 9.8  and 9.6 and 9.4, it isn't so much about "learning"

Well, virtually, it's all a gamble

19 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Will any of this new money be spent on quality control?  Their current QC department is a disgrace.   It’s one thing to wait 6 months to get your books back.  It’s a complete cluster to wait 6 months for your books, only to have to send them back in again to be “fixed”.  

Stop the bleeding, and get your quality control under friggin’ control. 

this

The new prices/memberships/tiers may not deter business but combine it with dirty and scratched wells, damaged books and other issues sure will. I have 20 books in the pipeline, that may  be it for a little while. My membership just renewed so I have used my credit with this 20 books and will now wait and see what is what in a few months.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Well, virtually, it's all a gamble

i don't want to hear from you canadians with your cheap college for your kids and not having to worry about healthcare, those of us to the south need to scrounge every penny we can for our old age

Just now, the blob said:

i don't want to hear from you canadians with your cheap college for your kids and not having to worry about healthcare, those of us to the south need to scrounge every penny we can for our old age

Hey we struggle too with incompetence and reliance on the oil industry 

37 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

"... Maybe more people will actively learn how to grade themselves."

I give myself an A+++++

1 minute ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

"... Maybe more people will actively learn how to grade themselves."

I give myself an A+++++

Can't wait to see a purple  label 3.0 Xforce 1 myself

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

We now interrupt this story to provide you an afternoon laugh. 

Facebook Marketplace. 

"Hey bro" (Yes, "Hey Bro") I will take those two pieces.  How much is shipping? 

I get the shipping quote of $5.95

The items were $23 and $18 respectively and I said take off 10%

"Awesome" he says, I will take it.    (So at this point the deal is made) What's your PayPal?  

He then writes, "I know this is weird to ask now but is there any way you would take $45 flat for both?

I do the math... $18+$23 = $41 - 10% = $36.90 + $5.95 = $42.85

He wants to pay me $45 flat. 

(shrug). ok

I say, "Why not." I give the PayPal address. 

We are doomed as a planet. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.50.01 PM.png

you are a sneaky new yorker robbing hard working americans with your numbers trickery...

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

you are a sneaky new yorker robbing hard working americans with your numbers trickery...

If he wasn't trying to change the deal after it had been made I would have pointed out his error. 

I can't though. I really can't anymore. 

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Last year there were 122,000 Spider-Man books graded at CGC (blue-labels only).

That is one book graded every minute of every hour, 8 hours per day, every day Mon-Fri, every week of the year. 

That's JUST the blue-label Spider-Man books... one per minute, all year long.

Well that's just nucking futz!