• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, sagekilz said:

Modern (1975-Date)
53 days
Fast Track: 29 days

Value
74 days
Fast Track: 26 days

Economy
77 days
Fast Track: 24 days

TAT's are joke.

The above TAT's don't include the 2-3 week wait until the books are actually marked 'RECEIVED'

correct

13 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

I'm fine with them raising their prices.  Slightly overdue, to be honest.

The process should be more efficient after 20 years. That should offset overhead/labor cost increases 

13 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

So if I am reading this right, the discounts went from 10% Premium/ 15% Elite/ 20% Dealer to a max of 10%, but grandfathered to the end of your last renewal?

Premium went from 10% discount to no discount. Zero

Elite went from 15% discount to 10% discount

Dealer accounts went from 20% discount to 15% discount. 

CGC has raised prices in the past. They have never before - to my knowledge - reduced discounts for paid memberships and Dealer accounts. 

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

It also filters down to the average person. The vast majority of books I send in are my client's books.  I pass  the 20% discount on to my clients. Now I'll be passing on a 15% discount.  This also has the effect of some of the pricing increases being an even larger increase.  Say for instance fast track. It was $10 ($8 dealer) and is increasing to $15. A 50% increase. But the new dealer account charge is now $12.75. About a 60% increase.

Modern's increasing 10% isn't that  big deal for collectors (though it should be a huge amount of $$ for CGC)  These add ons (fast track, prescreen)  and discount reductions are where the real price hikes are taking place.  And the discount reductions are I believe historically unprecedented. CGC has raised prices on grading tiers a number of times over the 21 years.  Prices go up. Not welcome when it happens but it is expected. But I don't believe they have ever before reduced the grading  discounts for paid memberships and dealer accounts. 

Is there a chart for the new dealer changes similar to the one for regular memberships that they've posted?

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

Sounds like CGC wants to eliminate pre-screens. This may be phase 1 of that.

I don't blame them,  Most collectors these days are savvy enough to screen their own books, or at least they can get close enough to not have to waste CGC's, and our time, by making CGC do their pre-screen for them.  Pre-screens probably just bog things down from CGC's perspective, and stretch TAT's for everyone else in the long run.

Some of these changes may seem arbitrary to us but I would bet that CGC has some pretty good folks analyzing data to drive these changes. 

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

The only point of membership is that you  can send them your comics and cards directly by mail. 

Even though I only submit about 50-75 books a year I REALLy enjoy being able to do this myself.  I figure the fewer people handling my books the better... I put them in the box myself and feel like a grown up being able to track my own submissions.  I'll never use a facilitator unless it is for a signature event.

Edited by Iconic1s

1 hour ago, the blob said:

The process should be more efficient after 20 years. That should offset overhead/labor cost increases 

I agree, seems kind of insane that after all these years they, the most authoritative third party comic book grading service in the entire WORLD, still can't get TAT'S to a point where they aren't driving their customers up the wall!  Their are literal threads where users share TAT info and attempt to barely predict when they may see their books again... That's pretty UNSAT actually.

2 hours ago, reptilekingdie said:

Well I might move my moderns to cbcs with this price. Might keep my higher priced moderns with CGC. They hired 70 people and still cannot get tat back to normal? Maybe they need to work 24/7 to shorten tat and catch up. 

Sorry man, but that makes no sense.  Might as well not get books graded at all if CGC is not meeting your expectations right now.  If you, for example, think you have a bunch or modern 9.8's sitting there, then that is what you have until you get a second opinion from CGC/Voldemort and actually get the grades from that company.  If you want to keep the books for your own enjoyment then that's cool... slab away with whoever you want to (or keep them raw!), but if you intend to make them worth anything to anyone else then it seems the market has proven that CGC is the way to go, regardless of long TAT's or increased grading fees.  Just speaking for myself, but IF I even look at another company's book, I only look at it through the lease of a possible crossover to CGC and then I expect to pay considerably less for it in Voldemort's slab.  I would not consider slabbing my less desirable moderns with another company and only paying the higher CGC fees for my better books.  THAT is really wasting money!

2 hours ago, comixry said:

Is there a chart for the new dealer changes similar to the one for regular memberships that they've posted?

the charts have been made by members posting here and I'm to lazy to make one...:blush:

Take the old CGC retail tier prices minus 20% and the new CGC retail tier  prices minus 15%, calculate the percentage and you would have the chart. 

Moderns for instance. Old retail price $20. With dealer (20%) discount the price is $16. New retail price is $22 - 10% increase. The  new dealer price with a 15% discount  is $18.70. $16.00 to $18.70 is about a 17% increase.  

CGC receives a LOT of books from dealers. So the price hike is -  for a lot of the books  CGC receives - substantially  more than it looks like in the new retail price Vs Old retail price charts.  

45 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
2 hours ago, comixry said:

Only if you know the secret handshake

(The secret handshake)

804848496_200(8).gif.f0511e28c0a1b4683a907f89427bffa3.gif

4 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

It's the time involved.  They charge $4 to take the tape off the bag and $4 to look the book over. 

You have NO idea with all your gift grades. lol

Spoiler

Totally agree

10 hours ago, MadGenius said:

You also have to factor in the headache in dealing with CGC Accounting to make sure they apply the account credit to your order. I think I'd rather pay the $25 Associate membership than have to deal with that without the added benefit of submission discounts.

I have been fortunate to work with a very helpful woman in CGC accounting who, among other things, has removed charges to the credit card I had on file since I pay by check for my submissions.