• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

We now interrupt this story to provide you an afternoon laugh. 

Facebook Marketplace. 

"Hey bro" (Yes, "Hey Bro") I will take those two pieces.  How much is shipping? 

I get the shipping quote of $5.95

The items were $23 and $18 respectively and I said take off 10%

"Awesome" he says, I will take it.    (So at this point the deal is made) What's your PayPal?  

He then writes, "I know this is weird to ask now but is there any way you would take $45 flat for both?

I do the math... $18+$23 = $41 - 10% = $36.90 + $5.95 = $42.85

He wants to pay me $45 flat. 

(shrug). ok

I say, "Why not." I give the PayPal address. 

We are doomed as a planet. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.50.01 PM.png

Image of I always do that. I always mess up some mundane detail.

23 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:
23 hours ago, iae21 said:

Yes, But Pre-Screen option is remaining....with now an $8 Reject Fee per book! :facepalm:

Phew. But yeah the reject increase is annoying. 

Personally, not sure how this whole pre-screen process works?  ???

Does it mean that your book is guaranteed to have a grade of at least CGC 9.8 upon eventual grading if it passes the initial 9.8 pre-screen test? (shrug)

Or do they place a note in there to let the graders know, otherwise they could end up grading a lot lower when they go through the official grading process.  After all, how many times have we seen the same books come back with varying grades ranging all the way from CGC 9.0 right through to CGC 9.8.  Almost seems like a craap shoot at times when you see this.  :facepalm:  :p

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Personally, not sure how this whole pre-screen process works?  ???

Does it mean that your book is guaranteed to have a grade of at least CGC 9.8 upon eventual grading if it passes the initial 9.8 pre-screen test? (shrug)

Or do they place a note in there to let the graders know, otherwise they could end up grading a lot lower when they go through the official grading process.  After all, how many times have we seen the same books come back with varying grades ranging all the way from CGC 9.0 right through to CGC 9.8.  Almost seems like a shoot at times when you see this.  :facepalm:  :p

yes... but I suppose the book can get past the initial pre-screen and they catch something later that results in it getting into the reject pile

if you have books that only make financial sense to slab if they come back a 9.6 or 9.8 it makes sense to go this route and not throw money away. or maybe SA books where you really need an 8.0 or whatever. but you have to send 25 (?) in as a pre-screen. So if you get it right on 15, but not on 10...the old reject cost would be $50, now it is $80. 

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

full employment for all comic loving dorks in florida!

between my day job, ebay, and adjuncting, I need a 4th job to shut my wife up because she has 4 jobs, I wonder if they can train a junior grader to do New York submissions? I might have to clean up my comic cave a bit and make sure not to have too many half drunk cups of coffee sitting around. for now they should limit me to copies of power pack, dakota north, and nfl super pro while I get the hang of it.

30 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

changes like this make me want to start my own grading company hm 

I think voldemort has an interesting idea with their "raw" product... if they could have a somewhat more solid sleeve and a more tamper proof/evident sealing method... putting aside crazy prices for 9.8s, I think a lot of people just want to feel more comfortable that something is actually a NM or NM- and not an "ebay" NM...so, basically, a 6.5-7.5 or a SA book is actually a VF...

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Exactly, as it would appear that a lot of the complaints on this thread seems to be with the pre-screen fee being raised from $5 up to $8.  :mad:

Probably because this must be easy low hanging fruit and hence a big big cash cow for the boys at CGC to pluck in order to keep their CCG ownership happy.  :devil:

Just imagine coming up with a scam whereby you can convince submittors to happily line up for months on end to bring in what are basically worthless books with the virtual equivalent value of smelly doggie poo poo if they happen to grade any lower than a certain gade and yet they are willing to pay $8 a pop to have somebody tell them this.  :facepalm:  :screwy:

I am sure it's really a case of to each their own, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to send in only truly collectible books which would have value in all grades across the entire condition spectrum, as opposed to sending in books that seemingly have artificial graded value only in CGC 9.8 and above and a big money loser for anything else below that.  hm  (thumbsu

If you hit about 3/5 or better on prescreens you're going to be way in the black though, even on moderns. And well clear if the books you're sending in are worth $15+. IMO stuff that doesn't sell for at least $15 raw isn't even worth prescreening unless you really like the cover and want one for yourself. But even then if it's under $10 raw the 9.8 is probably only $50. Probably better to just buy it at that point than to buy multiple $4 copies to submit.

And even for books that hold value across the grade spectrum they may not always be more valuable graded than raw. I have a few copies of the Miles hip-hop variant, raw, and last I checked they go for $120. It wouldn't be worthless in any high grade but I'd only want to pay the cost to slab if it were 9.6+. Even for my oldest ASMs... there's an inflection point on the grading scale where the book is worth more raw even if it's not quite as high as 9.6 for my ASM #11 for example lol 

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Exactly, as it would appear that a lot of the complaints on this thread seems to be with the pre-screen fee being raised from $5 up to $8.  :mad:

Probably because this must be easy low hanging fruit and hence a big big cash cow for the boys at CGC to pluck in order to keep their CCG ownership happy.  :devil:

Just imagine coming up with a scam whereby you can convince submittors to happily line up for months on end to bring in what are basically worthless books with the virtual equivalent value of smelly doggie poo poo if they happen to grade any lower than a certain gade and yet they are willing to pay $8 a pop to have somebody tell them this.  :facepalm:  :screwy:

I am sure it's really a case of to each their own, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to send in only truly collectible books which would have value in all grades across the entire condition spectrum, as opposed to sending in books that seemingly have artificial graded value only in CGC 9.8 and above and a big money loser for anything else below that.  hm  (thumbsu

No, not really. sometimes. Thor 339 is an example. Raws in nice shape are $15-20-25 or so. so not worthless at all. slabbed 9.4s sell for about $50. Not really worth grading. 9.6ses are $80-100. So maybe worthwhile. 9.8s $150-200+...worth it. I have a stack of them. I have been considering sending some in along with some other books for a 9.6 or better pre-screen. Yes, will potentially spending an extra $15 for 5 of them dissuade me? I dunno, maybe not.

36 minutes ago, the blob said:

full employment for all comic loving dorks in florida!

I would 100% work for CGC if they needed someone to help them with commercial real estate, could match what I'm making, and promised to grade my books quickly. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

We now interrupt this story to provide you an afternoon laugh. 

Facebook Marketplace. 

"Hey bro" (Yes, "Hey Bro") I will take those two pieces.  How much is shipping? 

I get the shipping quote of $5.95

The items were $23 and $18 respectively and I said take off 10%

"Awesome" he says, I will take it.    (So at this point the deal is made) What's your PayPal?  

He then writes, "I know this is weird to ask now but is there any way you would take $45 flat for both?

I do the math... $18+$23 = $41 - 10% = $36.90 + $5.95 = $42.85

He wants to pay me $45 flat. 

(shrug). ok

I say, "Why not." I give the PayPal address. 

We are doomed as a planet. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.50.01 PM.png

Was his name Jay?

2 hours ago, the blob said:
2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

What's Florida minimum wage? 

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/florida-minimum-wage-to-increase#:~:text=Effective January 1%2C 2021%2C Florida's,hour to %248.65 per hour.

$8.65 an hour. If they're paying their graders $15 to start I'd be more on board

Florida also just voted and passed raising the minimum wage up to $15 over the next few years. 

12 minutes ago, adampasz said:

909361571_ScreenShot2021-04-22at12_13_33PM.thumb.png.d507553c2ab0c5d7c2fc77270a1e1c7b.png

Based on your failure rate, you can factor pre-screen fee into the sale price of your books. So if you're wrong 20% of the time, you will now pay be paying $40 per submission of 25 books. This comes out to $1.60 per book. ($40/25). 

Actually should be $40/20 = $2 per book. Assuming you are not able to sell the 5 that are rejects. (shrug)

Edited by adampasz