• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,178 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Ever have LCS owners/workers give you a hard time about checking your phone? I use the notes app on my iPhone to keep lists of stuff I’m looking for, and I’ve had people in the LCS start clocking me as soon as I get the phone out while I’m in the boxes. Nobody has confronted me yet, but I wonder if they think I’m checking eBay sales, etc. against their prices…

lol, if i ever had that happen i'd tell them to go #&@* themselves, and never shop in that store again. never heard of such a thing in my life. 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:09 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Ever have LCS owners/workers give you a hard time about checking your phone? I use the notes app on my iPhone to keep lists of stuff I’m looking for, and I’ve had people in the LCS start clocking me as soon as I get the phone out while I’m in the boxes. Nobody has confronted me yet, but I wonder if they think I’m checking eBay sales, etc. against their prices…

No I haven't ever had that happen.  I kind of wish it would though.  I manage my type 1 diabetes through my phone which is connected to a few small machines attached to my body (I'm basically Cyborg at this point) so I am constantly checking my phone in order to keep things under control.  I would welcome a shop owner chirping at me about using my phone to manage my disability in their shop.

On 8/21/2021 at 10:53 AM, LudaToke said:

No I haven't ever had that happen.  I kind of wish it would though.  I manage my type 1 diabetes through my phone which is connected to a few small machines attached to my body (I'm basically Cyborg at this point) so I am constantly checking my phone in order to keep things under control.  I would welcome a shop owner chirping at me about using my phone to manage my disability in their shop.

What are you using right now?  

Sincerely,

A fellow type 1:hi:

On 8/21/2021 at 11:36 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What are you using right now?  

Sincerely,

A fellow type 1:hi:

Freestyle libre sensor but looking to get upgraded to a Dexcom and Omni Pod Pump.

What about you?

Side note: you should check out a support group called Connected in Motion.  They are a Diabetes advocacy group for adults that plans a lot of fun activities across Canada. 

On 8/21/2021 at 12:15 PM, LudaToke said:

Freestyle libre sensor but looking to get upgraded to a Dexcom and Omni Pod Pump.

What about you?

Side note: you should check out a support group called Connected in Motion.  They are a Diabetes advocacy group for adults that plans a lot of fun activities across Canada. 

The freestyle libre is super handy

On 8/19/2021 at 11:43 AM, Poekaymon said:

TWD is as dead to me as GOT after season 8.  The last few seasons of TWD were hot garbage--they should have closed it out around S5-S6 like Breaking Bad.  I can't be the only one who thinks that way, and some of that bitterness is no doubt (perhaps unfairly) hurting the book.

No you're not the only one who thinks TWD should have ended at S5/S6.  I speed watch it now to finish it off.  So boring now. 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:39 AM, ComicsAndCode said:

I'm watching out for any resales / flips of "Promise Collection" books.

Well, I hope you are super patient and don't mind waiting 5 or 10 years since this collection was so overhyped and some so overgraded that it resulted in hugely overpriced books whereby the purchasers will most likely not be able to get out of them for a few years, unless they don't mind taking a huge loss on most of these books here.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/22/2021 at 1:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I hope you are super patient and don't mind waiting 5 or 10 years since this collection was so overhyped and some so overgraded that it resulted in hugely overpriced books whereby the purchasers will most likely not be able to get out of them for a few years, unless they don't mond taking a huge loss on most of these books here.  :tonofbricks:

Theres one already on the bay

Promise book

On 8/21/2021 at 10:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I hope you are super patient and don't mind waiting 5 or 10 years since this collection was so overhyped and some so overgraded that it resulted in hugely overpriced books whereby the purchasers will most likely not be able to get out of them for a few years, unless they don't mond taking a huge loss on most of these books here.  :tonofbricks:

Lol. Well, I should re-phrase what I said. Watching out for re-sale / flips of "Promise Collection" books for sheer amusement :) There is no way I would go after any of those books, for the very reason you bring up.

Edited by ComicsAndCode

On 8/21/2021 at 10:34 PM, HotKey said:
On 8/21/2021 at 10:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I hope you are super patient and don't mind waiting 5 or 10 years since this collection was so overhyped and some so overgraded that it resulted in hugely overpriced books whereby the purchasers will most likely not be able to get out of them for a few years, unless they don't mind taking a huge loss on most of these books here.  :tonofbricks:

Theres one already on the bay

Promise book

Yes, exactly..........now you can see and understand what I am saying here.  (thumbsu

Buyer purchased this book from Heritage for $9,600 plus whatever state taxes and shipping charges they would have to incurred putting the full cost at something which is most likely over $10K.  Now trying to resell it on eBay for $9,600 (good luck here :cry: ) meaning they will probably have to take a best offer at a lower price.  After taking off the eBay and PayPal fees, the buyer will probably be lucky to take home $8K from this $10K+ purchase they made just a short month ago.  :tonofbricks:

This Promise Collection is completely unlike the big Jon Berk auction which took place a few years ago on CC, where you saw many of the same books being flipped back out on dealer sites within weeks of the auction, with the books encased in higher graded slabs and being resold with substantially higher prices on them.  Of course, some of the CGC boardies here at the time stated that it only made business sense for CGC to have graded those books much tougher as they were going through CC which is an external auction house to them.  :censored:

With the Promise Collection, I guess what we are seeing here as others have stated, is just a classic case of vertical integration and the realization of business synergies in full play here with their linked ownership.  That's the beauty of undisclosed grading standards as it allows grading to be done to the current business agenda of the day.  Personally, I don't have much problems with this anymore as everybody here should know by now how the grading game is played and be placing their bids accordingly.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/18/2021 at 10:59 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I agree. I purchased 3 copies of X-MEN #1 during the recent hype period (I just happened to have the cash to do so and was already in the market for them, so...). I'd be losing plenty of $$$ if I were to sell them today, but I have faith it will look like a good decision once the X-MEN/MUTANTS make their MCU appearance. 

I'm patient. The plan wasn't for a quick flip.

Yes, being a long time comic book collector, it's really much more about spending time in the market, as opposed to trying to time the market. :preach:

With a X-Men 1, I am sure you are going to do a lot better than the recent buyers who paid $44K for a copy of Transformers 1 or $63K for a copy of XM 94.  (thumbsu

On 8/22/2021 at 1:25 AM, lou_fine said:

I don't have a stake in this either way (I didn't buy any of these books), but I'm curious to understand why you're so confident that there's a pattern of overgrading on the so-called Promise Collection.  I assume you haven't held the books in hand?  Maybe you could post an image of one of them that you think is clearly overgraded based on the image(s) available?

On 8/22/2021 at 3:57 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, being a long time comic book collector, it's really much more about spending time in the market, as opposed to trying to time the market. :preach:

With a X-Men 1, I am sure you are going to do a lot better than the recent buyers who paid $44K for a copy of Transformers 1 or $63K for a copy of XM 94.  (thumbsu

Yeah, and in the worst case scenario I'm likely to break even, and have had the pleasure of owning them.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, exactly..........now you can see and understand what I am saying here.  (thumbsu

Buyer purchased this book from Heritage for $9,600 plus whatever state taxes and shipping charges they would have to incurred putting the full cost at something which is most likely over $10K.  Now trying to resell it on eBay for $9,600 (good luck here :cry: ) meaning they will probably have to take a best offer at a lower price.  After taking off the eBay and PayPal fees, the buyer will probably be lucky to take home $8K from this $10K+ purchase they made just a short month ago.  :tonofbricks:

This Promise Collection is completely unlike the big Jon Berk auction which took place a few years ago on CC, where you saw many of the same books being flipped back out on dealer sites within weeks of the auction, with the books encased in higher graded slabs and being resold with substantially higher prices on them.  Of course, some of the CGC boardies here at the time stated that it only made business sense for CGC to have graded those books much tougher as they were going through CC which is an external auction house to them.  :censored:

With the Promise Collection, I guess what we are seeing here as others have stated, is just a classic case of vertical integration and the realization of business synergies in full play here with their linked ownership.  That's the beauty of undisclosed grading standards as it allows grading to be done to the current business agenda of the day.  Personally, I don't have much problems with this anymore as everybody here should know by now how the grading game is played and be placing their bids accordingly.  :devil:

The technical term is HYPE (Hope You Paid Enough)

On 8/22/2021 at 9:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Ouch!

nice post. But painfill insight shared. Thnx.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:59 AM, alexgross.com said:

lol, if i ever had that happen i'd tell them to go #&@* themselves, and never shop in that store again. never heard of such a thing in my life. 

Besides, unless they're looking over your shoulder how do they know what you're doing with your phone? For all they know you're comparing their copy to a scan of your own, or checking to see if you already have one.

Hell, you could be transferring funds in order to make a big purchase.

On 8/22/2021 at 4:08 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I don't have a stake in this either way (I didn't buy any of these books), but I'm curious to understand why you're so confident that there's a pattern of overgrading on the so-called Promise Collection.  I assume you haven't held the books in hand?  Maybe you could post an image of one of them that you think is clearly overgraded based on the image(s) available?

Like you, I also don't have a personal stake in any of these Promise Collection books to this current point in time at least.  (thumbsu

As I have stated in another thread here, I haven't actually bothered to take a close look at these books myself to say with confidence that there's a consistent strong pattern of overgrading.  It's just that I've seen enough scans of some of these books from other boardies in the other threads along with PM's which I've received from boardies to make me question the apparent inconsistency in terms of grading for these books here. (shrug)

Don't really want to have ANOTHER thread here on the Promise Collection books questioning some of the grades since we've already seen a litany of these scans to date, but a perfect example would be this copy of Subby 23 here, along with a few comments from other boardies here:  :fear:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-23-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1947-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7244-96085.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F1%2F1%2F24111285%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 5/13/2021 at 10:31 AM, Bronty said:

jeez that mouse chew is pretty bad.   That's a 7.0 at that point, I don't care how fresh the rest of the book is.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, october said:

Totally normal. I've seen lots of 8.5's where a rat gnawed part of the book off. Sure. Nothing to see here. lol

On 5/13/2021 at 12:15 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

The grader's notes will probably define it as a production chew.  

Actually, this book here doesn't really bothered me that much as it wasn't graded into the 9's at least, even though if this book was not part of the Promise Collection and not submitted in by Heritage, it probably would not come back with this high of a grade considering the clear visual defect.  Any bets that if it had been simply submitted in on a random basis by a no-name collector like me, it would not surprising to see it down into the 6's or possibly into the 7's at best. hm

Then again, I am sure that they probably attributed this to a production related defect from a mouse found at the printing plant.  :devil:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine