• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2022 at 10:12 PM, paqart said:

that I much prefer is Walt Simonson. His drawing, particularly his compositions and inking, make him my favorite artist from that era.

Walt is so very underappreciated!!  I feel like he was walking with giants. He was doing his best work right as Adams, Bernie, Sterenko and others were really coming into their own. Just an incredible era for comic book artists. 

I really appreciate his wife's work to! A very talented family! 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:35 PM, paqart said:

I met him at a convention in San Jose in 1977, when I was 11 years old. He was working on the Manhunter backup feature at DC at the time and I already knew he was going to be a big deal before long. I met him again in Maine, at a tiny convention in around 1992. That time, I had just started working as a comic book artist myself and was also a guest at the con. My table was right beside Simonson's, so we chatted throughout the day. Really teriffic conversation as I remember it.

That's very cool. It's always nice to hear that that these guys are gracious to their fans.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:42 PM, KCOComics said:

That's very cool. It's always nice to hear that that these guys are gracious to their fans.

I don't know if I've ever met an artist or writer who wasn't. The one that takes the prize for most gracious though is writer Dan Chichester. He isn't just friendly, he makes people feel better after they've met him. It was amazing to watch the way he interacted with people and how he always managed to think of something to say that made them feel good. I've never met anyone else who could do that, or that even came close with such natural ease.

That's all fair enough. I remember when it came out, how everyone was making such a big deal about McFarland. At the time, as now, I wasn't fond of his work nor did I ever like Venom as a character. McFarland and JS Campbell make the same kind of drawing errors, though admittedly with some style. Starlin is like that also; loads of drawing errors but stylish. Venom was like a shark with legs: an eating machine. That said, I'm glad other people like the character and I did enjoy the movie. McFarland's drawings just don't sit right with me. Someone else from the same period that I much prefer is Walt Simonson. His drawing, particularly his compositions and inking, make him my favorite artist from that era.

Simonson gets his due with Thor 337:cloud9:

626D7851-E625-42BB-9D72-A3BB5F0C89A8.jpeg.bd8f551e9dd436e833a20f8db656a3a7.jpeg

Granted it’s only a $1000 book on its best day

But Thor isn’t Spider-Man.  Beta Ray isn’t Venom. It’s not a double thick double anniversary issue. It doesn’t have a black cover.  And it definitely doesn’t have everyone’s favourite web-slinger looking cool as hell in his black costume. 2c
7E2ADAF6-E481-4A39-9539-D45CAE0418A7.jpeg.a4e4a084114a10b64c804b5602297dc1.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 10/17/2022 at 10:10 PM, COI said:

I understand the logic of high supply = unappealing to collect. It's why I avoided buying it for so long. But I'm starting to think that with enough demand, a high supply isn't necessarily a bad thing. The book is easy to buy and easy to sell, and that liquidity makes it not a very risky proposition, especially for collectors who are new to buying slabs. With so many copies trading hands all the time in every grade above VF, most people will not be overpaying by definition. And multiple copies in every grade are available for those who like to hoard. 

Well, I didn't say the book is "unappealing" in any way.  I love the book ... here's mine.  I bought it for exactly $2K during the prolonged period when this was a steady $2K book month in and month out.

image.jpeg.5194f5eac1d810ca66f295e365d06d9c.jpeg

I agree with the points made above about the reasons the book remains in high demand.  But, since this book is being used in a narrative about the poor unsuspecting collectors/speculators who bought a copy for $6K and are watching it fall to $4-5K, I'm simply saying that anyone paying attention could have seen that this is precisely the kind of book you shouldn't be buying in an overheated market.

I've chased (and arguably overpaid for) plenty of books ... but generally they are books where I know I'm buying one of a very small number in the census -- 20 or less, 10 or less, even 5 or less in some cases.  I would not recommend chasing a book that is growing on trees.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 10/17/2022 at 11:01 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well, I didn't say the book is "unappealing" in any way.  I love the book ... here's mine.  I bought it for exactly $2K during the prolonged period when this was a steady $2K book month in and month out.

I agree with the points made above about the reasons the book remains in high demand.  But, since this book is being used in a narrative about the poor unsuspecting collectors/speculators who bought a copy for $6K and are watching it fall to $4-5K, I'm simply saying that anyone paying attention could have seen that this is precisely the kind of book you shouldn't be buying in an overheated market.

I've chased (and arguably overpaid for) plenty of books ... but generally they are books where I know I'm buying one of a very small number in the census -- 20 or less, 10 or less, even 5 or less in some cases.  I would not recommend chasing a book that is growing on trees.

I prefer 252 personally, as that was the book that brought me back to Spidey after a prolonged break from comics(I think I gave up on Spidey in the 220s) Saw it on the newsstand, and was back. Stuck around until the costume was gone and lost interest again.  That copy came back an 8.5 :smile:

63AC8854-F11E-4212-BAFF-A300E86CD3ED.thumb.jpeg.92dae23529d601930ba812806d963449.jpeg

I didn’t experience McFarlane in real time. 

I don’t own an ASM 300 currently, simply because there’s no need to.   Book is available 24/7

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

That's all fair enough. I remember when it came out, how everyone was making such a big deal about McFarland. At the time, as now, I wasn't fond of his work nor did I ever like Venom as a character. McFarland and JS Campbell make the same kind of drawing errors, though admittedly with some style. Starlin is like that also; loads of drawing errors but stylish. Venom was like a shark with legs: an eating machine. That said, I'm glad other people like the character and I did enjoy the movie. McFarland's drawings just don't sit right with me. Someone else from the same period that I much prefer is Walt Simonson. His drawing, particularly his compositions and inking, make him my favorite artist from that era.

I love Simonson too.

I'm not trying to compare MacFarlane to Kirby, whose storytelling and universe-building are unmatched in the history of comics.  But if you want to pick apart artists based on the technical "errors" in their work, there's plenty to criticize in Kirby's work -- but that doesn't prevent him from being the seminal artist of his era.  MacFarlane's impact on the industry is huge for slightly different reasons -- his enormous success as a businessman stands in stark and tragic contrast to the creators who came before him -- but sticking strictly to the art, there's no doubt (in my mind) that at its best his work just jumps off the page and has that certain magical quality that the great ones have.

Nice copy, and I would agree with you. But it's looking as though the market was overheated for most things, common and uncommon alike. 

The upside on this one is demography. The guys and gals who want this the most will keep the demand up for the next several years, even if it dips a little here or there. Beyond that, who knows?

I just had a conversation with my wife about stock prices that isn't much different from this conversation. She was worried that some of our stocks have dropped from their peak back in May of this year. I reminded her that it was still higher than when we acquired it, and better than cash because it is part of something tangible, a blue chip company. Money becomes worthless long before things lose their value. The only time to sell when prices are going down is when you are certain they will go to zero or you have to avoid a margin call or something like that. There are stocks that go to zero, I worked for such a company once, but this stock is a company that has been around for about 150 years and likely will be around longer than any of us. 

With comics as investment (an odd concept), my only concern is that someday, people won't want the clutter of physical objects around them. Some things need to be a part of our environment to remind us why we should be interested in them. If comics as an art form was supplanted by something else, as vaudeville was by film and television, then we'd be looking at a tulip market. Until then, I'm not too worried because part of the fun is tracking these things down. All by itself, that is a reason to collect. The movies and TV shows just give us ideas sometimes, or reminders of things we'd forgotten about.

Neal Adams' comics did sell extremely well, it's just that many of the sales were unofficial, i.e. off the back of distribution trucks directly to comic book dealers. See 'Secret Origins of the Direct Market' in Comic Book Artist 6, 1999.

Walt Simonson's art always had that flat 2D paper cut-out look to it for me, as did Jim Lee's.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:39 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Neal Adams' comics did sell extremely well, it's just that many of the sales were unofficial, i.e. off the back of distribution trucks directly to comic book dealers. See 'Secret Origins of the Direct Market' in Comic Book Artist 6, 1999.

Walt Simonson's art always had that flat 2D paper cut-out look to it for me, as did Jim Lee's.

Regarding Adams' sales relative to Swan, that is different from saying that Adams sold well or that he was in no danger of getting fewer assignments. According to Mark, Adams did not sell well compared to Swan and he was in danger of getting fewer assignments, or none, based on Mark's conversations with editors at the time. Maybe his stuff did sell well of the back of a truck, though I don't know what you mean by "comic book dealers" for the time period I am thinking of, around 1965-1969. Maybe both are true. One thing that comes to mind is that the kind of "sales" you describe don't sound like the type where DC would ever see the money, so they would have no way of knowing about them.
You're right about Simonson but I think he makes up for it with his dynamic inks. Quite frankly, comic book artists make loads of drawing mistakes. My guess is that it comes down to 2 things: 1) time, 2) reference. Unless you have Superman and Batman duking it out in your studio, then holding still while you draw, there will always be something off. This is why (I think) the best artists don't even try to be "realistic". They just aim for telling a story. The best of them don't let their drawing style get in the way of the story. This is why my favorite comic book artist of all time is Carl Barks. He is the only artist I can think of whose drawings and storytelling mesh so perfectly that readers can become fully immersed in his stories without distractions from odd panel borders, unnecesary pin-up poses, easter eggs, failed attempts at "realism" or strange lighting.

Another example is Scott Adams, whose Dilbert cartoon is all about the joke, not a realistic visual depiction of office cubes and their inhabitants. Without anything resembling visual realism, Dilbert is the most viscerally real depiction of office life I've ever seen. I can't imagine any other artist, From Frank Frazetta to Leonardo da Vinci, doing it as well as Adams. When I look at McFarlane, my attention is constantly drawn away from the story by his panel border manipulation, his propensity for unnecessary splash panels, and the loads of details he piles into every crevice of his drawings. Those things may make for a nice looking single image but they don't do their job in the story.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:00 PM, paqart said:

Regarding Adams' sales relative to Swan, that is different from saying that Adams sold well or that he was in no danger of getting fewer assignments. According to Mark, Adams did not sell well compared to Swan and he was in danger of getting fewer assignments, or none, based on Mark's conversations with editors at the time. Maybe his stuff did sell well of the back of a truck, though I don't know what you mean by "comic book dealers" for the time period I am thinking of, around 1965-1969. Maybe both are true. One thing that comes to mind is that the kind of "sales" you describe don't sound like the type where DC would ever see the money, so they would have no way of knowing about them.
You're right about Simonson but I think he makes up for it with his dynamic inks. Quite frankly, comic book artists make loads of drawing mistakes. My guess is that it comes down to 2 things: 1) time, 2) reference. Unless you have Superman and Batman duking it out in your studio, then holding still while you draw, there will always be something off. This is why (I think) the best artists don't even try to be "realistic". They just aim for telling a story. The best of them don't let their drawing style get in the way of the story. This is why my favorite comic book artist of all time is Carl Barks. He is the only artist I can think of whose drawings and storytelling mesh so perfectly that readers can become fully immersed in his stories without distractions from odd panel borders, unnecesary pin-up poses, easter eggs, failed attempts at "realism" or strange lighting.

Another example is Scott Adams, whose Dilbert cartoon is all about the joke, not a realistic visual depiction of office cubes and their inhabitants. Without anything resembling visual realism, Dilbert is the most viscerally real depiction of office life I've ever seen. I can't imagine any other artist, From Frank Frazetta to Leonardo da Vinci, doing it as well as Adams. When I look at McFarlane, my attention is constantly drawn away from the story by his panel border manipulation, his propensity for unnecessary splash panels, and the loads of details he piles into every crevice of his drawings. Those things may make for a nice looking single image but they don't do their job in the story.

There were certainly several bulk comic book dealers in the late '60s (and beyond), check their ads in the Silver/Bronze comics. I used to buy from one of them in the '70s, he had seemingly endless piles of mint, unread Silver Age Marvels, dirt cheap. And indeed, Marvel and DC had no idea about the 'back of truck' sales - those were 'no sales' as far as the publishers were concerned. 

Back to the artistry side of things....

Kirby was never a master anatomist, but he deteriorated in that regard throughout the '70s due to health and eyesight issues. Despite being my all-time favourite artist, his later work is hard to look at and even harder to read.

McFarlane I think has always been more interested in flash than slavishly studying anatomy and references. Pretty sure he's said he hates having to draw actual guns and vehicles, preferring to make up his own. I like a lot of his stuff but his recent Spawn spin-offs are just incoherent and nonsensical to me. He doesn't draw those, but he co-writes and/or edits them.

There's definitely room for both realistic and cartoony artists in comics, depending on the subject matter. Alex Ross is the most realistic comic artist I can think of. As far as I know, he uses references for almost everything he does, other than things that don't exist in reality.

Edited by Steven Valdez

This thread has been an interesting read. I collected comics as a kid then again in the early to mid 90s. I just started again sometime last year and had no idea I was looking at prices in the middle of a Bull run. Luckily I only added a few lower priced semi key books(not asm 300 but a nice asm 316 instead) and mostly concentrated on getting my comics graded. granted I also didn't realize how long ccs took so some that made sense valuewise to grade then don't so much now but oh well.

Growing up during the heart of McFarlane hype, ASM300 was one of the books I really went after.. That, along with ASM129 and Hulk 181 and early Siler Surfer books were among the first books I ever collected.... Total 90s kid.

Anyway, I bought ASM 298 -300 all raw and unslabbed for $60 I think.  They were sold to me as NM and to my unsuspecting 19 year old eye, they looked the part!! When I got them graded (early days of CGC) the 298 came back as a 7.5, the 299 was restored (I didn't get this one graded and only noticed the restoration after owning the book for 20 years) and the 300 came back an unpressed 9.2

I ended up selling the 300 during all the hype because my interests had changed and the money went towards a low grade (.5) AF15.  

I haven't missed it, but if the right opportunity presented itself I wouldn't mind getting another copy.  Same with the ASM129 which I recently sold.  

From the book of head-scratching results comes this She-Hulk last night on Heritage.   Not even a newsstand and sold for 3x what copies have been trading for this month.     Someone really loved that finale episode last week.....

.1252968968_ScreenShot2022-10-18at8_37_21AM.thumb.png.aa67cd23204c1615b9fc0c889bed0a4d.png

1552924750_ScreenShot2022-10-18at8_40_13AM.thumb.png.a22b74ffaa91e426a2c4bb985a1830ad.png

Edited by DC#

On 10/18/2022 at 1:27 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Fantastic accomplishment.  I won't be surprised if you eventually decide to stretch it further ... #325 gets you to the end of the MacFarlane run (plus there is #328) and of course #361-363 is the Carnage trilogy which is frankly overrated.  By the end of the 300's you're into the truly awful clone saga stuff and #400 is the "death" of Aunt May.  I ended up going through #400 slabbed, and I also have #401 through #700 raw since I bought them in real time.

I’m currently about 70% complete on a ASM run. I’m bowing out at 375 for the reasons you mention. 
375 with the Venom foil cover seemed the right issue to stop at for me. 

On 10/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, DC# said:

From the book of head-scratching results comes this She-Hulk last night on Heritage.   Not even a newsstand and sold for 3x what copies have been trading for this month.     Someone really loved that finale episode last week.....

Who the heck is buying this? Or the other one on the list for $2300?  Are these examples of Heritage and Comic Connect bidding on their own stuff?