• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,315 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2022 at 4:16 AM, KCOComics said:

Hasn't this been the narrative with Hulk 181 for 30 years? There are a ton of copies and prices can't remain so high? There is a mysterious warehouse with thousands of high grade copies that will flood the market? 

But it continues to be the top book of the BA. 

Spending this kind of $$ on a comic is out of my league, so I can't speak to the mentality of people who do. And of course the price may fluctuate as we head through choppy economic times. I just wouldn't bet against 181 long term. 

I agree with you, but we have conflicting evidence of what the current market value of this book is.  We have 9.8 copies selling for $100K+ and 9.8 signed copies selling for only $50K.  So did somebody overpay, or did somebody get a steal?  Which is it?

On 10/29/2022 at 3:16 AM, KCOComics said:

But it continues to be the top book of the BA. 

Yes, but once you add in the relative scarcity POV, wouldn't MS 5 be the top BA book out there since it managed to fetched $264,000 last year?  hm

On 10/29/2022 at 2:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but once you add in the relative scarcity POV, wouldn't MS 5 be the top BA book out there since it managed to fetched $264,000 last year?  hm

I guess I haven't looked close enough to have an informed opinion. I'm also not allowed to swim in the deep end of the pool (by my wife or my bank account). 

I imagine across grades, 181 probably wins by a good margin.  In ultra high grade, which are harder to come by with MS5s black cover, I could see a different story. 

But I would still consider 181 the top book of the BA. 

On 10/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, KCOComics said:

But I would still consider 181 the top book of the BA. 

Yes, long gone are the days when Avengers 93 was considered by many to be the go to book for the BA when Hulk 181, Spidey 129, and XM 94 were all still valued at under a dollar in the Overstreet guide and available around that price point.  :preach:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/29/2022 at 2:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, long gone are the days when Avengers 93 was considered by many to be the go to book for the BA when Hulk 181, Spidey 129, and XM 94 were all still valued at under a dollar in the Overstreet guide and available around that price point.  :preach:  :takeit:

You're not the first to say this, and I just don't get it.  Yes it's a Neal Adams cover but there is nothing special about Avengers 93 that should have it within two sentences of these other books you've mentioned.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:57 PM, Microchip said:

The census pop for the book in high grade is right next to zero.  Dark brown is as good as black for highlighting defects.

The other big factor is that it's doubled sized.  Back when story arch and content were all the talk, this book punched well above the rest. 

Yep, I understand.  I think it's a great book and I like my copy.  I just don't see how it could ever be thought of as the #1 book of the era.

image.thumb.jpeg.70154377fe6ac1c8c640e8386e590578.jpeg

On 10/29/2022 at 6:54 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yep, I understand.  I think it's a great book and I like my copy.  I just don't see how it could ever be thought of as the #1 book of the era.

On 10/29/2022 at 7:42 PM, PopKulture said:

It was definitely one of the top books of the bronze era during the bronze era.*

* Along with Conan 1 (and all BWS), and to a lesser extent, the ASM drug issues, GL 76, and for a brief moment in time, Howard the Duck!! :ohnoez:

On 10/29/2022 at 8:13 PM, Readcomix said:

This is it. During is the key, as in the mid-70’s, before Punisher and X-Men/Wolverine got popular, and at a time when the Kree-Skrull War was a major story arc not available in any other form but the actual issues from the run. And of course Adams did some striking work in the book. It’s first page is arguably as good a splash page as he has produced.

Exactly right as Sweet Lou is looking in the rear view mirror with almost 50 years of scenic history behind him, whereas books like Hulk 181, Spidey 129, and XM 94 all came out much later towards the mid-70's.  Definitely hard to beat 52 pages of Admas goddness all wrapped around a squarebound cover.  (thumbsu :cloud9:  

The go to Marvel BA books that I remember DURING the mid-70's when I started collecting back issues were Conan 1, Avengers 93 (rest of Adams & Smith run to Avengers 100 to a lesser extent), and the duo of Spidey 121 & 122.  :luhv:   :takeit:

On 10/30/2022 at 1:39 AM, DC# said:

Just to prolong the Hulk 181 debate - another 9.8 sold tonight (Saturday) on Goldin for $86.4k    So $40k-$60k less than other 9.8s in the past 2-3 months.   I would gladly take this and pocket $60k vs the Suscha News copy.  

640CCAE3-84AD-4D4F-8ADD-8EAFE83A2BE9.thumb.jpeg.e245d12f9c453ef657312256b141b55b.jpeg

D23C7171-83A4-4810-8127-1C619EA09852.thumb.jpeg.397a5707c41d55c6e70e490a5a36a3bf.jpeg

The sky just fell, or not.:wink:

My copy will sell, if ever, for cover price. :flipbait:

On 10/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, DC# said:

Just to prolong the Hulk 181 debate - another 9.8 sold tonight (Saturday) on Goldin for $86.4k    So $40k-$60k less than other 9.8s in the past 2-3 months.   I would gladly take this and pocket $60k vs the Suscha News copy.  

640CCAE3-84AD-4D4F-8ADD-8EAFE83A2BE9.thumb.jpeg.e245d12f9c453ef657312256b141b55b.jpeg

D23C7171-83A4-4810-8127-1C619EA09852.thumb.jpeg.397a5707c41d55c6e70e490a5a36a3bf.jpeg

i dont think so many people are aware of this website. i have heard of them but have never bid on anything there and their website is pretty bad. for example, if you go there today, there is no sign that they ever auction anything except sports memorabilia. i don't think they will get the results of the big three. perhaps it's a great place to get deals? i have no idea and cannot even find how to join their comic auction mailing list. 

On 10/30/2022 at 7:04 AM, alexgross.com said:

i dont think so many people are aware of this website. i have heard of them but have never bid on anything there and their website is pretty bad. for example, if you go there today, there is no sign that they ever auction anything except sports memorabilia. i don't think they will get the results of the big three. perhaps it's a great place to get deals? i have no idea and cannot even find how to join their comic auction mailing list. 

You can search by title and just check sold items only in the search to see final results which is at least something.     As has been said before, they primarily deal with cards and sports memorabilia so the comic, toy, and video game auctions tend to be a lot less frequent.    Also seem to be getting more and more into movie memorabilia

Here are some other Goldin results from yesterday - a mix of soft and in the range of current pricing.    But there was nothing that was 40-50% lower than current values or recent sales like IH 181.     And Goldin has moved some really big books at new records this past year (Batman 1, Action 1, Detective 27, Superman 1, etc.) so they are able to get to some of the right people......

But overall hard to disagree that it is not a primary vehicle for selling comics - for buyers or sellers.  

FF #1 6.5 - $43.2k (soft - but maybe a sign of trend?)

FF #1 5.0 - $25.5k. (soft - but maybe a sign of trend?)

FF #5 6.0 - $16.8k (in the range)

ASM #1 3.5 - $11.2k (in the range)

Superman #1 3.0 - $420k (in the range as much as one can tell)

Batman #1 2.0 - $174k (soft - at least seems to be given last sales)

X-Men #1 7.0 - 28.8k (in the range)

X-Men #1 5.0 - $15.6k (soft)

AF #15 1.5 - $19.3k (in the range)

AF #15 5.0 - $50.4k (probably in the range given price trends.   This is higher than this past week's Clink result)

JIM #83 7.0 - $28.8k. (probably in range given price trends)

And I just added the Bat and Super #1 to the Six Figure Club thread.  

Edited by DC#

On 10/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, alexgross.com said:

Unfortunately there is no comic auction mailing list.  You are either signing up to get (many many many) alerts about everything they sell, or you are opting out.

On 10/29/2022 at 6:54 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.70154377fe6ac1c8c640e8386e590578.jpeg

Being the good fellow boardie that I am, I will step up to the plate and take this piece of BA drek off your hands at top of guide in order to relieve you from your long years of suffering and trauma by having this POS toxic book devaluing the rest of your collection.  :bigsmile:  :takeit: