• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,351 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2022 at 6:56 PM, Steven Valdez said:

The barcode or lack thereof is simply not exciting.

It's scarcity by derivative.  That doesn't interest me with Newsstand bar codes.  The variant I do find most compelling is the Mark Jewler variant, where the book has additional content that is itself a piece of interesting history and would be even if removed from the book.  I also find the price variants to be interesting, as they represent something that only happened on occasion, presumably as a test before raising prices.  If there were monthly price-variants (as there are with newsstands), I would not find them interesting.  

Edited by Nick Furious

On 10/23/2022 at 8:36 PM, valiantman said:

Jumping into the conversation (where people have been disagreeing with you), I'll agree with you that buying comics based upon "not the actual (pages) they contain" is a dangerous hobby. A super rare version of "nothing special" whether it's a newsstand, a price variant, or just a super-limited-greatest-artist-in-the-world-for-sure-no-kidding variant cover is something wrapped around nothing.  They remind me of "kit cars" from back in the day, which were popular for about a minute-and-a-half in the 1980s. The guts are real, the guts are even original (not reproduction), but the guts are nothing special (just a regular engine on a standard vehicle base).

image.png.0d7c5ce0047976049c23fe89d0db326b.png

Somewhat ironically, that magazine is from a newsstand in the 1980s, which is the only place I would have found comics in my town, next to kit car magazine and Hit Parader.  We didn't have a comic shop, so direct editions weren't available where I lived.

Nostalgia PLUS something inside the book is a great way to specialize. ASM #300 is a nice book but really common (especially direct editions), but ASM #300 newsstand in high grade... well, that's something extra because the contents matter and comic shops weren't protecting fresh newsstands with bags and boards. 

Super rare cover of any kind where the regular edition is bargain bin? Something nice wrapped around nothing special.

Keep in mind that sometimes the "nothing special" is the issue that completes a run or a story. That isn't without its own significance.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:08 PM, Nick Furious said:

It's scarcity by derivative.  That doesn't interest me with Newsstand bar codes.  The variant I do find most compelling is the Mark Jewler variant, where the book has additional content that is itself a piece of interesting history and would be even if removed from the book.  I also find the price variants to be interesting, as they represent something that only happened on occasion, presumably as a test before raising prices.  If there were monthly price-variants (as there are with newsstands), I would not find them interesting.  

Some people just don't enjoy the thrill of the hunt I guess. Getting off the subject of newsstands, there is another type of rare comic that I think may have a real future for comic book investors but good luck finding any copies. Crowd-funded comics are performing very well for certain A-list writers and artists. These comics often have relatively low print runs and cannot be found in any stores. Instead, they go straight to collectors who may hang on to them for decades. 

On 10/22/2022 at 12:50 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Collecting newsstand 'variants' reminds me of those guys who collect editions of records based on their slightly differing matrix numbers and not the actual music they contain. It's where things start getting creepy.

Matrix information on Vinyl are usually indication of different and possibly sought after masterings. Mastering is the process of transferring the original reels of tape to a cutting machine that produces a "master" that only has a finite number of uses to press records. Masterings can differ in the tapes used (original or less desirable higher gen copies), levels, quality of electronics used in the transfer chain, EQ, and many other factors.

Humans do not hear the same. What sounds good to one person may not for another.  Once you learn what you do and do not like it's effectively activating a switch that can't be un-activated. Thus the reason many seek out matrix's known to be an indicator of sound they like due to who create the pressing master. Example "RL" in the matrix on 70's vinyl or "Porky" or "Pecko" and many others.

Apparently you have little understanding which is fine that is common when it comes most things recording related, however not understanding something is no excuse for an intolerant comment.

P.S. I'm not a vinyl collector or listener. It just ain't my bag.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/24/2022 at 1:50 PM, MAR1979 said:

Matrix information on Vinyl are usually indication of different and possibly sought after masterings. Mastering is the process of transferring the original reels of tape to a cutting machine that produces a "master" that only has a finite number of uses to press records. Masterings can differ in the tapes used (original or less desirable higher gen copies), levels, quality of electronics used in the transfer chain, EQ, and many other factors.

Humans do not hear the same. What sounds good to one person may not for another.  Once you learn what you do and do not like it's effectively activating a switch that can't be un-activated. Thus the reason many seek out matrix's known to be an indicator of sound they like due to who create the pressing master. Example "RL" in the matrix on 70's vinyl or "Porky" or "Pecko" and many others.

Apparently you have little understanding which is fine that is common when it comes most things recording related, however not understanding something is no excuse for an intolerant comment.

P.S. I'm not a vinyl collector or listener. It just ain't my bag.

Good heavens, how utterly tedious. Matrix numbers are merely indicators of a particular pressing session, they do not specify different mastering or sonic quality. You know the people who collect records by their matrix numbers don't actually play them, right? Also, the plural of matrix is matrices. "Not understanding something is no excuse for an intolerant comment." Yet here you are doing just that.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:00 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Good heavens, how utterly tedious. Matrix numbers are merely indicators of a particular pressing session, they do not specify different mastering or sonic quality. You know the people who collect records by their matrix numbers don't actually play them, right? Also, the plural of matrix is matrices. "Not understanding something is no excuse for an intolerant comment." Yet here you are doing just that.

correct on one point, yes some collectors dont play them. Same as any other hobby. Utilizing  intended function of an item is not required to collect the item. If it was very few people would collect stamps, coins , comics , old books, etc

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/24/2022 at 8:38 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Great argument. Extremely cogent.

And only existed for 1 minute then updated.  Congrats on your personal vendetta against record collectors. Did one of them once hurt you in some way?

Edited by MAR1979

I think what is important to remember is Demand is as much of the equation as Supply.  There are now many many buys to be had, and that will only be more so over the next several or more months to perhaps years?  However the buys may not be on books you want. 

Copper and Modern High Pop stuff will be affected most by shrinking Demand so do not expect to pick up Key Bronze stuff like Hulk 181 and GSX 1 for pennies on the dollars, however 1988's ASM300 in grades under 9.4 may become ripe for the picking, and ASM361 collectors will have a total field day as that book continues to sink like a lead brick :roflmao:

The next most important point is, and take all this as a bit tongue in cheek, do not purchase anything touted as potentially hot by self-serving "Social media influencers" or blogs like gocollect who last week was trying to rope in some rubes to purchase Granny Goodness "keys". I'm wrong a lot but a grandmotherly character in a DC book is not nor ever will be the hot thing!

Seriously though folks the bubble has burst, a new normal will be reached and then it too will change. Sellers who have true business acumen will do just fine, those who do not will not.

Please Note as always my post does not refer or allude to Silver/Atomic/Gold

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/21/2022 at 9:50 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Collecting newsstand 'variants' reminds me of those guys who collect editions of records based on their slightly differing matrix numbers and not the actual music they contain. It's where things start getting creepy.

On 10/23/2022 at 3:53 PM, paqart said:

I disagree. By the same logic, there is no difference between the original edition of a comic and reprints made decades later. The history of the original is part of the appeal. With newsstands, their history is quite different from directs and that makes them more interesting to me on its own. Secondarily, I very much enjoy the difficulty of finding them. That may seem silly but then so would a lot of other things. Golf, for instance.

Well, from my own personal POV, it's really a case of to each their own, as long as everybody knows what they are buying and having fun while doing it.  (thumbsu

As for hunting down rarity when it comes to comic books, although I don't have any interest in price variants, limited manufactured cover variants, reprints, distribution type variants, so-called rarity in CGC 9.8, etc. as the content of the comic book is already readily available in its original format.  Even if it's not for me though, I certainly don't begrudge or have any issues with other collectors chasing after them, as it's all good to me. :)

When it comes to rarity in comic books, although my personal collecting preference leans much more towards original format in any condition books like say a New Comics 2 or an Amazing Man 26 where the total number of graded copies to date is still only a mere handful, I am sure that most boardies here would have zero interest in acquiring these types of HTF moldy oldy books.  Definitely okay with me as that means less competition for me whenever they do show up in the marketplace, as it gives me a slightly better chance of obtaining a copy for my personal collection. :applause:  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/24/2022 at 11:40 PM, MAR1979 said:
On 10/24/2022 at 11:38 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Great argument. Extremely cogent.

And only existed for 1 minute then updated.  Congrats on your personal vendetta against record collectors. Did one of them once hurt you in some way?

Did one of them get 'creepy' with you Steven?

On 10/25/2022 at 12:11 PM, Steven Valdez said:
On 10/25/2022 at 11:53 AM, Microchip said:

Did one of them get 'creepy' with you Steven?

That's a very creepy thing for you to say. Very, very creepy indeed.

It's probably easier for you to work out, what don't you find creepy Steven.    I'm going to go out on a very strong limb here, and say thats a very small list.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, Microchip said:

It's probably easier for you to work out, what don't you find creepy Steven.    I'm going to go out on a very strong limb here, and say thats a very small list.

No, not that long... just you with your snide innuendos about sexual assault as something you find humorous, and that other guy.

Edited by Steven Valdez
typo