• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,223 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2023 at 2:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

People still use Overstreet to figure out what comics are worth?

A few LCSs I know use it to price out collections when buying due to the price disparity in the past. I am not sure what they are doing since the last one. 

On 7/9/2023 at 1:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Why most definitely of course, since I need to use the Overstreet in order to determine the discount to condition guide which I am willing to pay for a book and then the multiple to condition guide at which I am willing to sell a book for.  (:

On 7/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, wiparker824 said:

Real ones use this thread to figure out what their comics are worth.

and, yes, they’ve eased!

Sadly, no easing in sight and still rising on the books which I would be interested in acquiring for my personal collection.  :(

On 7/9/2023 at 3:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Surprisingly, my wife will reference the last Overstreet we bought in 2018 when buying SA Green Lantern and Flash. She has bought many books for under guide to fill in her collection, including a GL 48 in 9.0 last month from Clink.

On 7/9/2023 at 1:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I know a collector who actually uses the Overstreet Guide to value all of his books for submissions to CGC and apparently has never had a bump up in fees as a result.  (thumbsu

I am sure he's still using the Guide for his GA submissions, but not so sure about some of his later books where the marketplace is now runnning significantly lower than the current Guide price valuations.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Yes. I, for example, use my 1980 copy to haggle with dealers. Unfortunately, in lo these many years since around 2015 no dealer has honored the prices listed. Some people ...

:)

I’m sure they’d be happy to buy your collection for 1980 prices.  Maybe even 2015 prices!

On 7/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, troydivision1 said:

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February          1.94% decrease
February to March             4.25% increase
March to April                     0.82% increase
April to May                        2.53% decrease
May to June                       2.08% decrease
June to July                        4.19% increase 

I would be curious to know what the numbers look like for the middle 40 books, when you sort from best to worst percentage change.  

On 7/26/2023 at 7:13 PM, DC# said:

Hakes results tonight were pretty strong - here are two I just added to the six figure club thread.     Record result for Spidey #1 and big rebound for AF 15 7.5 

Tracking some of the Clink results which I will recap later 

IMG_3643.thumb.jpeg.3059a8742a885427a439700d03e21cd9.jpeg

IMG_3645.thumb.jpeg.19409e337f71150305915c4296bec74c.jpeg

I was also shocked at the results for both the ASM #1 CGC 9.6 (a record price selling for that much!  Last sale was last year for $336k old label). And a huge bounce back for sure for AF 15! It sure was a pretty looking 7.5, which in fact helped the hammer price.  I even considered bidding on it, but I have books higher up on my wantlist. I mentioned this a couple weeks back at another thread, but I feel that we are seeing SA keys bouncing back up in prices from the lows of earlier this year.  I expect this trend to continue... We'll see..

On 7/26/2023 at 7:34 PM, Dark Knight said:

I was also shocked at the results for both the ASM #1 CGC 9.6 (a record price selling for that much!  Last sale was last year for $336k old label). And a huge bounce back for sure for AF 15! It sure was a pretty looking 7.5, which in fact helped the hammer price.  I even considered bidding on it, but I have books higher up on my wantlist. I mentioned this a couple weeks back at another thread, but I feel that we are seeing SA keys bouncing back up in prices from the lows of earlier this year.  I expect this trend to continue... We'll see..

That ASM 1 price is bonkers. It makes you wonder what would the price be if one of the 9.8’s of ASM 1 known to exist went up for auction next month.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, wiparker824 said:

That ASM 1 price is bonkers. It makes you wonder what would the price be if one of the 9.8’s of ASM 1 known to exist went up for auction next month.

Speaking with Roy @VintageComics, the $330 sale was the outlier.

The Nov 2022 sale of an ASM #1 9.6 was cheap and I stated that openly when it sold.

The winning bidder ended up flipping the book for FAR MORE shortly after it sold.

$330K was always too cheap for an ASM #1 9.6 and it slipped between the cracks last winter.

This sale it seems is inline with expectations.   So a cool $1m for a 9.8 isn't too much of a speculation.