• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,172 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2023 at 11:02 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Even in the past two weeks, numerous silver age keys continue to drop. I'm ok waiting a little bit longer.

What price, and grade ranges are you looking at?

Things are definitely moving, but the spikes, and troughs are getting more difficult to predict at the moment.    I suspect the real stabilised 'ease' will come in the next 12-36 months, assuming nothing changes externally from today.      

Spidey looks like the only safe bet

On 8/8/2023 at 6:10 PM, Cman429 said:

Disney inspires me with little confidence. Nor does WB’s “leadership.” If/when the comic movie craze fully collapses - and if Gunn doesn’t succeed I think that’s the end - you’re gonna see “investment” sell offs the likes of which we haven’t seen 

We’ve seen investment sell offs before. I distinctly remember seeing a guy try to sling a short box full of investment copies of X-Force 1 (along with boxes full of other gems) in the early 2000’s out of the back of a Honda civic in a used book store parking lot. Got to say I was tempted, but then remembered I have my own stash of X-Force 1 investments already. xD

In terms of the movie hype sell off I think that’s already been happening. You have to keep in mind it’s not as though one day every speculator who bought every copy of Eternals 1 during the peak before that movie came out decided today is the day we all sell. They slowly but surely all come to the conclusion that “investment” isn’t paying off and sell over years at a loss, but it’s already underway for books like that. The big keys that were keys before any movie came like AF 15 will still be keys, they’ll go up and down with the times but they’re not going anywhere long term.

For non speculators, there is something disheartening about buying a book for GPA low or close to it and all subsequent sales keep going 5-10% lower... it's rare when it's not a good time to be a seller or a buyer, something's got to give at some point.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:10 AM, dikran said:

For non speculators, there is something disheartening about buying a book for GPA low or close to it and all subsequent sales keep going 5-10% lower... it's rare when it's not a good time to be a seller or a buyer, something's got to give at some point.

Seems like most collectors and dealers are hanging on to their books right now. Waiting this out. Less availability translates to higher buying prices on the copies available. Things will stabilize and we will see stuff slowly increase again. Covid was a real shocker to us and wasn’t natural. 

On 8/9/2023 at 11:05 AM, Robot Man said:

Seems like most collectors and dealers are hanging on to their books right now. Waiting this out. Less availability translates to higher buying prices on the copies available. Things will stabilize and we will see stuff slowly increase again. Covid was a real shocker to us and wasn’t natural. 

But these horrendous auction results keep putting downward pressure on prices and that puts BIN prices on eBay & marketplaces further and further from ''reality'' so the impatient take the auction route and the cycle continues...

On 8/9/2023 at 12:06 AM, Microchip said:

What price, and grade ranges are you looking at?

Things are definitely moving, but the spikes, and troughs are getting more difficult to predict at the moment.    I suspect the real stabilised 'ease' will come in the next 12-36 months, assuming nothing changes externally from today.      

Spidey looks like the only safe bet

A few examples...FF #48 5.0 just sold for it's lowest since 2020. Silver Surfer #1 6.5 just had it's second lowest sale since 2020 and the 5.5 just had the 3 lowest sales of the year. ASM #50 4.0 had it's lowest sale in almost 3 months.

I agree that it's not a free fall like we have seen over the past 12 months, but the decline is slowly continuing for many big keys.

Comiclink continues to confound (even putting aside recent tech issues)...here are two copies of Star Wars #1 9.8 WP.    One closed on 7/27 for $3,168 (which was before the tech issues and is about $500 lower than 90 day noting there are two August sales of $3300 and $2994) while the other closed on 8/9 for $4,025 (which is the highest sale since early May).  

I will let you pick which one is which....... 

Screenshot2023-08-10at12_02_39PM.png.22599c171476aa8797e336b0477eb692.png

Screenshot2023-08-10at12_02_12PM.png.bb7139964f2752209ebd231abc794291.png

On 8/9/2023 at 9:06 PM, Motor City Rob said:

A few examples...FF #48 5.0 just sold for it's lowest since 2020. Silver Surfer #1 6.5 just had it's second lowest sale since 2020 and the 5.5 just had the 3 lowest sales of the year. ASM #50 4.0 had it's lowest sale in almost 3 months.

I agree that it's not a free fall like we have seen over the past 12 months, but the decline is slowly continuing for many big keys.

In addition...FF#48 9.6 just sold last night for the lowest price in over two years for a white pager. Still much higher than 2020 prices but at least the adjustment is continuing. 

I, like many, hope that prices continue a downward trend and I, at least, hope for 2020 prices (even lower) as most folks will still make a healthy profit. For those that paid 2021-2022 prices, if prices keep going down that will stink but, like most things, things change and they may still be fine in a few years.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:31 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I, like many, hope that prices continue a downward trend and I, at least, hope for 2020 prices (even lower) as most folks will still make a healthy profit. For those that paid 2021-2022 prices, if prices keep going down that will stink but, like most things, things change and they may still be fine in a few years.

A return to 2019 prices, followed by a very gradual rise, or even just a flatline, would be fine with me.  My dream is that is that one day the comic market is stable enough that this thread dies.  Sadly, we have so far to go to 2019 prices that it probably will fuel sky-is-falling posts in this thread for a long time to come.

I love the affordability of the books I'm buying now vs 2 years ago.  It means I don't really need to sell the under copies at a loss in order to upgrade so I'm just holding onto a bunch of excess in hopes to sell 3-6 years down the road.  Mainly the issue is the time cost of listing and selling the books just to take a loss disincentivizes me from listing.  My biggest problem is the amount of space the excess is taking up.  Taking a loss on a sale will become more acceptable when I just get tired of having so much comic clutter. 

On 8/11/2023 at 9:47 AM, Poekaymon said:

A return to 2019 prices, followed by a very gradual rise, or even just a flatline, would be fine with me.  My dream is that is that one day the comic market is stable enough that this thread dies.  Sadly, we have so far to go to 2019 prices that it probably will fuel sky-is-falling posts in this thread for a long time to come.

As long as we continue paying sky high prices and referring to the comics “market”, threads like this will never go away. I’m afraid we have gone too far down the “rabbit hole”…

On 8/11/2023 at 5:12 AM, DC# said:

Comiclink continues to confound (even putting aside recent tech issues)...here are two copies of Star Wars #1 9.8 WP.    One closed on 7/27 for $3,168 (which was before the tech issues and is about $500 lower than 90 day noting there are two August sales of $3300 and $2994) while the other closed on 8/9 for $4,025 (which is the highest sale since early May).  

Are there any Rebelscum guys on this board?

On 8/10/2023 at 12:12 PM, DC# said:

Screenshot2023-08-10at12_02_39PM.png.22599c171476aa8797e336b0477eb692.png

Screenshot2023-08-10at12_02_12PM.png.bb7139964f2752209ebd231abc794291.png

I too am confounded by CL. I had a low bid on ASM 300 tonight in a 9.2 with white pages for $424. It wound up winning which would put it as the GPA low of the 92 sales of 9.2 for this book on GPA for 2023, previous 2023 low of $478. Meanwhile other books I was bidding on in the SA I thought I put on high enough bids to win and was blown out of the water.  Though this might indicate something more about the CA vs SA current market standing rather than CL’s instability.

The copper age going to take a beating even for the bigger keys like ASM 300 IMO. Just too much supply to fuel demand in times like these.

Edited by wiparker824