• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2023 at 12:56 AM, DC# said:

I have not been doing my recap for this CL auction - but between CL and this weeks Heritage auction a lot of stuff I have been casually watching (silver, bronze) seems to be really soft.    

There's an auction, not just rinky dink auctions, going on 24/7 with multiple copies of almost everything available. With an auction house getting a guaranteed cut no matter what the hammer is, there's no reason for them not to flood the market. The appetite for collectibles, unfortunately, is NOT insatiable. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/27/2023 at 8:35 AM, 1Cool said:

Back to low-end 2020 prices?

Yes - for quite a few books.

I would say most big keys are still significantly higher than the low end prices of 2020. Many still 100% to 300% higher. Agree that a small selection of books have dropped all the way back to low end 2020.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:45 PM, Motor City Rob said:

I would say most big keys are still significantly higher than the low end prices of 2020. Many still 100% to 300% higher. Agree that a small selection of books have dropped all the way back to low end 2020.

Big keys are not in my wheel house so not sure about current prices.  Big keys are a small portion of the hobby - the books I’m more familiar with are well below 2020 levels pretty much across the board.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:18 PM, 1Cool said:

Big keys are not in my wheel house so not sure about current prices.  Big keys are a small portion of the hobby - the books I’m more familiar with are well below 2020 levels pretty much across the board.

Silver and later?  I generally don't watch or care about big key sales, but most PCH/GA books I've tried bidding on are still strong and, in some cases, still climbing.  I'm referring to your "average" comics, not 6 or 7-figure comics.  I've been buying (or trying to buy) mostly GA stuff, but have dipped into SA and BA the past 3 or 4 months here and there when I saw prices crashing.  There were a few instances of prices on comics I wanted selling for less than even 2019 prices.  And again, I buy mostly for the cover art or some sentimental reason.  I don't necessarily care if a comic is a "key" or not.

On 9/27/2023 at 2:18 PM, 1Cool said:

I would say most keys are still higher. Some significantly. That being said, I agree many smaller keys and non-keys are back to early 2020 prices or lower. 

On 9/27/2023 at 2:49 PM, Telegan said:

Silver and later?  I generally don't watch or care about big key sales, but most PCH/GA books I've tried bidding on are still strong and, in some cases, still climbing.  I'm referring to your "average" comics, not 6 or 7-figure comics.  I've been buying (or trying to buy) mostly GA stuff, but have dipped into SA and BA the past 3 or 4 months here and there when I saw prices crashing.  There were a few instances of prices on comics I wanted selling for less than even 2019 prices.  And again, I buy mostly for the cover art or some sentimental reason.  I don't necessarily care if a comic is a "key" or not.

Yes, Silver and later. I'm not even talking about GA. Most keys are still up compared to early 2020. Obviously there are still many examples of smaller keys that are equal to or lower than early 2020 prices, but I would say it's still the minority. 

On 9/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I'm baffled by this one. Last month a 6.5 OW/W sold for $28,800. 

That big of a price drop for C/OW pages? Back to low-end 2020 prices?

Or someone chose the weirdest time to sell a key book and someone else got a bargain?

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.51.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.53.00 PM.png

That doesn't even make sense. If I were that seller there is zero chance I would be shipping that book lol 

It makes sense if we knew more about the seller. If he has a new account or very few sales, people could’ve been spooked about buying a major book from a nobody. The old slab might’ve turned people off, too. And cream is never desirable. I find it funny he’s sought refuge with that goof who runs elite tho. 

On 9/27/2023 at 2:25 PM, Cman429 said:

It makes sense if we knew more about the seller. If he has a new account or very few sales, people could’ve been spooked about buying a major book from a nobody. The old slab might’ve turned people off, too. And cream is never desirable. I find it funny he’s sought refuge with that goof who runs elite tho. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

For what it's worth

Screenshot_20230926_212018_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230926_212001_eBay.jpg

Check the bottom pic. (shrug)

655 feedback positive 100% I didn't actually click on the seller though

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/27/2023 at 3:29 PM, Nsschenks said:

If he didn't want to ship because the sale was so low, he shouldn't have posted it as a no-reserve auction. Pretty shiesty move to not honor a sale because they didn't do their research to know eBay was not the venue to sell this book (and didn't set a reserve on top of that). Personally, if I bought slabs, I'd put this seller on my blocked list in a second if it was true he didn't honor the sale.

It’s a scumbag move to say the least

On 9/27/2023 at 3:25 PM, Cman429 said:

Why is the guy from Elite a goof? Pretty sure they are one of the most reputable sellers on IG. Hard to find better prices anywhere else as well.

On 9/27/2023 at 3:13 PM, DC# said:

So it looks like this book just landed on Elite11 on Instagram for $22,999.    Guess the seller did kill the Bay transaction....

How do we know it's the same seller and not the buyer trying to flip the book he won?

I was watching that auction and was so tempted to bid but like others who abstained, I'm a white paged snob and would rather pass up a potential flip opportunity and help the GPA for 6.5 drop further than bid it up and tie up $12-15k in case a better copy came along. Besides the buyers top bid could have been $15-20k but since neither I nor anyone else bid, it went for only $11k.  Any comic is just 1 competitive bid away from a GPA high or low.

On 9/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, justafan said:

How do we know it's the same seller and not the buyer trying to flip the book he won?

I was watching that auction and was so tempted to bid but like others who abstained, I'm a white paged snob and would rather pass up a potential flip opportunity and help the GPA for 6.5 drop further than bid it up and tie up $12-15k in case a better copy came along. Besides the buyers top bid could have been $15-20k but since neither I nor anyone else bid, it went for only $11k.  Any comic is just 1 competitive bid away from a GPA high or low.

The seller has it relisted on ebay as well for $25k, so the $11K sale never happened. 

On 9/27/2023 at 4:36 PM, Motor City Rob said:

The seller has it relisted on ebay as well for $25k, so the $11K sale never happened. 

Thank you. That is damn blatant and scummy. If I were the buyer I'd sure be complaining to ebay about it. How can they get away with not honoring the sale?  Does the seller just forfeit a FVF to ebay and is allowed to relist? No negative feedback from the buyer so do we think the winning bidder was a shill account?

On 9/27/2023 at 5:36 PM, justafan said:

Thank you. That is damn blatant and scummy. If I were the buyer I'd sure be complaining to ebay about it. How can they get away with not honoring the sale?  Does the seller just forfeit a FVF to ebay and is allowed to relist? No negative feedback from the buyer so do we think the winning bidder was a shill account?

Not sure if the seller ended it early or if the auction went the full distance. Regardless, I don't think ebay cares about things like that unless it's continuous behavior from a seller.