• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2023 at 7:40 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

From the seller. :eyeroll:

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 5.38.56 PM (2).png

LOL. Even if true (yeah, right, uh huh, sure) it doesn't validate cancelling the sale. Definitely never ever, ever going to buy from this person.

Because it sold so low, I'd be willing to bet a bunch of people reached out offering higher than the sold price (but still below FMV), possibly even said comic shop owner. Question: should we consider adding this person to the 'blocked eBay user list' on the forums? I don't really know the rules for how that works, but cancelling a legit sale for better offers seems like pretty obvious grounds. Or do you have to be an aggrieved party to nominate someone?

On 9/27/2023 at 5:36 PM, justafan said:

No negative feedback from the buyer so do we think the winning bidder was a shill account?

Hopefully not so they can leave a big red mark on his feedback page. I understand how little protection there is for sellers on eBay (I sell fairly regularly there myself), but it is such poor practice to cancel a sale in this way if it was a legit buyer. On that note, the winning bidder had a 204 score with 100% feedback and only bid once on the item, so seems more likely than not they were legit (though could still be a bot I suppose). I'm guessing the seller scrambled to cancel the sale before the winning bidder could provide payment.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:17 PM, Nsschenks said:

Hopefully not so they can leave a big red mark on his feedback page. I understand how little protection there is for sellers on eBay (I sell fairly regularly there myself), but it is such poor practice to cancel a sale in this way if it was a legit buyer. On that note, the winning bidder had a 204 score with 100% feedback and only bid once on the item, so seems more likely than not they were legit (though could still be a bot I suppose). I'm guessing the seller scrambled to cancel the sale before the winning bidder could provide payment.

Man I would have been hammering the checkout button so fast he wouldn't have had a chance. I did exactly that when I won my first AF15 on ebay for way under price. I paid within seconds of winning and messaged the guy right after thanking him and asking when he would be shipping.

So I guess all these potential bidders' sniping apps failed them?

I agree that's unethical  even if the seller is telling the truth, because other bidders not able to bid is not grounds for cancelling the sale. Unless backed by ebay, technical glitches from the bidders end shouldn't invalidate the sale to the guy who won. Not sure why that guy hasn't left a neg.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, Telegan said:

but most PCH/GA books I've tried bidding on are still strong and, in some cases, still climbing.  I'm referring to your "average" comics, not 6 or 7-figure comics.

Any clear examples here since I believe we need some good news and a ray of sunshine here amongst all of this doom and gloom we seem to be seeing from most other boardies here?  (thumbsu  :)

On 9/27/2023 at 2:29 PM, Nsschenks said:

If he didn't want to ship because the sale was so low, he shouldn't have posted it as a no-reserve auction. Pretty shiesty move to not honor a sale because they didn't do their research to know eBay was not the venue to sell this book (and didn't set a reserve on top of that). Personally, if I bought slabs, I'd put this seller on my blocked list in a second if it was true he didn't honor the sale.

I'll take a loss of honor and some people blocking me all day over taking a $10,000 bath on a book for no reason. A 6.5 is easily a $20,000+ book all day right now. 

On 9/24/2023 at 2:53 AM, jimjum12 said:

I didn't realize TOD 25's were so accessibly priced in 9.8. To me that's a serious key ... didn't Kris Kristofferson play Hannibal, and quite competently as I recall ...  GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I believe Ryan Reynolds plays Hannibal in one of the Blade movies. Kristofferson’s character was “Whistler” in all of them.

On 9/28/2023 at 9:06 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

I'll take a loss of honor and some people blocking me all day over taking a $10,000 bath on a book for no reason. A 6.5 is easily a $20,000+ book all day right now. 

I mean I'm pretty sure the reason was he shouldn't have been auctioning that book on eBay in the first place. People will do what they want, but that doesn't make it not a s**tty move. Long term that strategy is going to make people not want to buy from them-- A. for making a poor decision in posting it there; and B. for reneging on the sale because they realized their mistake too late. Weak stuff

Edited by Nsschenks

On 9/28/2023 at 9:06 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Except apparently not on the day it actually ended. I wonder what it would go for if it ended today? Would it get bid up to $20k? 

On 9/28/2023 at 1:12 PM, Nsschenks said:

I mean I'm pretty sure the reason was he shouldn't have been auctioning that book on eBay in the first place. People will do what they want, but that doesn't make it not a s**tty move. Long term that strategy is going to make people not want to buy from them-- A. for making a poor decision in posting it there; and B. for reneging on the sale because they realized their mistake too late. Weak stuff

Will be forgotten in 2 weeks

On 9/27/2023 at 7:40 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

From the seller. :eyeroll:

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 5.38.56 PM (2).png

This explanation seems more plausible then a $20K mega key book going for $11K even on E-Bay during a downturn.  I tend to side with the seller in these cases just because things do happen on E-Bay occasionally which will hurt the seller way more than the lost opportunity for the buyer.   

On 10/4/2023 at 7:19 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some recent ASM sales from Heritage.  Haven’t seen prices this low in quite a while.

image.thumb.png.5ae7694113da87bd868a685492f1e7af.png

image.thumb.png.6a738eb960dd8cb80d42ac3021388d69.png

image.thumb.png.831896d89f8a51dce1deeb41fd91920b.png

image.thumb.png.692c043bcf9c6bf8730d70e6ea1ca694.png

image.png

All observational but declines do seem to be accelerating in the past 4-6 weeks.    Will be interesting to watch ASM #300 9.8 to see if it can establish a floor at the $3k level.   The full year average in 2019 for this book was right at $2k.     I think these consistently popular books are good barometers for level of market engagement from buyers.    

On 10/4/2023 at 10:56 AM, DC# said:

All observational but declines do seem to be accelerating in the past 4-6 weeks.    Will be interesting to watch ASM #300 9.8 to see if it can establish a floor at the $3k level.   The full year average in 2019 for this book was right at $2k.     I think these consistently popular books are good barometers for level of market engagement from buyers.    

Other than the top keys, the bottom does seem to have fallen out on the 9.8 modern business... 

On 10/4/2023 at 8:20 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Other than the top keys, the bottom does seem to have fallen out on the 9.8 modern business... 

The ASM #238 results above are not out of line for the year - quick look at GPA and it has been bouncing between 1800 and 2200 all year long - back and forth - up and down.    Another one to keep an eye on to see if it starts consistently selling below that 1800 mark.