• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,287 posts in this topic

The hobby will be fine until superheros go permanently out of favor.  Whether that's next year, in ten years, or a hundred years nobody knows (though one thing superheros do have in their favor is their ability to change with the times (thumbsu).  So for now, just enjoy yourselves... :cheers:

On 2/27/2023 at 4:59 PM, Microchip said:

With the advent of CGC, the reading part has been taken away

lol

:screwy:

If that were true, the hobby wouldn't be in any danger of decline or crash, it would just be dead. D. E. A. D.

Like the hobby is just a blip in the world, professional grading is a blip in the hobby.

On 2/27/2023 at 12:32 AM, Aman619 said:

2)  Yes, the current generations after the Boomers are smaller in number than the Boomers, but they have grown up with peak comic-originated properties awareness...

Fixed.

And yet, they still don't care even equally, let alone more about actual comic books. That seems like a point in the other direction.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:34 PM, lou_fine said:

I very much highly doubt that the non-comic book colleting movie goers are walking out of the movie theatres and going to the LCS's to pick up the latest Marvel or DC comic books.  :gossip:

Of course not. That's not what he's saying.

He's saying they're walking out of theatres and immediately emptying their bank accounts to buy CGC-graded books!

On 2/27/2023 at 3:38 PM, Lazyboy said:

He's saying they're walking out of theatres and immediately emptying their bank accounts to buy CGC-graded books!

Well, with the horrid reviews and the record setting box office second weekend dropoff for the Ant-Man movie, I imagine the comic book speculators portion of the movie goers are rushing out of the theatres as fast as they can so they they can flood the market with their copies of Tales to Astonish and the other Ant-Man related books before they all end up in the dollar box.  lol

On 2/28/2023 at 10:34 AM, lou_fine said:

I very much highly doubt that the non-comic book colleting movie goers are walking out of the movie theatres and going to the LCS's to pick up the latest Marvel or DC comic books.  :gossip:

Correct, I thought I made that point clear.   LCS's are largely out fo the picture for these new people.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:34 AM, lou_fine said:

I am sure that this is what the comic book speculators and flippers wants.  Unfortunately, what I believe is really happening and driving the movie related hyped books up on a temporary basis only is really nothing more than speculators speculating on what other speculators might possibly be speculating on.  hm

The fluctuations in the market are still there, and we are still seeing strong prices on key books.   The overall drive has left the market currently, but the price gains for the top books has not eroded back to 2019.   Has the comic collecting hobby expanded in the last 2 years, as a result of the MCU, the economy, and appeal of CGC books... yes.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:29 AM, Lazyboy said:
On 2/28/2023 at 9:59 AM, Microchip said:

With the advent of CGC, the reading part has been taken away

lol

:screwy:

If that were true, the hobby wouldn't be in any danger of decline or crash, it would just be dead. D. E. A. D.

Like the hobby is just a blip in the world, professional grading is a blip in the hobby.

No, not at all.

Comic's in the CGC format are in part a secure commodity now.  Hence why we are seeing the rise, and popularity of iconic cover books, rising into the 'key book' category along side first appearances, and origin issues.   This is happening across multiple era's.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:29 PM, Lazyboy said:

Hard disagree there.  What a lot of old timers might take for granted is how intimidating raws are to new people, and graded books make collecting easy, relatively safe, and fungible and therefore more accessible for the inexperienced.  I don't see that diminishing as the years go on and the people who collect for love, nostalgia, or because they made a life through the hobby start dying off--rather the opposite.  

(And this is speaking as someone who doesn't own a single graded book.)  

On 2/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, Poekaymon said:

Hard disagree there.  What a lot of old timers might take for granted is how intimidating raws are to new people, and graded books make collecting easy, relatively safe, and fungible and therefore more accessible for the inexperienced.  I don't see that diminishing as the years go on and the people who collect for love, nostalgia, or because they made a life through the hobby start dying off--rather the opposite.  

As one of the newer guys to the hobby I wholeheartedly agree with this point. Raw books ARE very intimidating to run at, until trusted sellers are found, etc. I am also discovering the subjective nature of grading — so I understand that is a thing, too. But a 1/2 grade here or there still certifies to an originality and that there was no fu!kery. 

edit: And, like graded baseball cards, it only serves to strengthen the transactional process. Much more chance for smoother arms-length transactions. 

Edited by GrasshopperFF

On 2/27/2023 at 5:59 PM, Microchip said:

Looking at the intrinsic factors of comic books now:

We keep looking at old paradigm of people going into comic book shops as their first port of call to read/collect/appreciate comic books.    

With the advent of CGC, the reading part has been taken away, and everyone cried it would be the death of comic books when they came along.   This hasn't been the case at all.   And now, where new collectors have joined the hobby entirely in the CGC era, where reading comic books isn't the first consideration at all.    So the decline in LCS's, or raw sales numbers isn't the prominent factor in detraining the longevity, and possible flourishing of the hobby.

People are coming from the cinematic universe, they know the stories all have their 'origins' in comic books.  A good number of them want to be a part of that history, nostalgia, and cultural phenom.   That in itself, thanks too the scale of the MCU to date, has decades to play out.

Hear Hear👍

On 2/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, Poekaymon said:

I might add the factor of color touch or other restoration. Even experienced hobbyists wouldn't have an easy time detecting an A-1 level color touch with the naked eye. There's also staple replacements like chemical cleaning or vintage staple replacements that are tough to detect for anybody. Either will result in a purple or conserved label. 

On 2/27/2023 at 3:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, with the horrid reviews and the record setting box office second weekend dropoff for the Ant-Man movie, I imagine the comic book speculators portion of the movie goers are rushing out of the theatres as fast as they can so they they can flood the market with their copies of Tales to Astonish and the other Ant-Man related books before they all end up in the dollar box.  lol

"Horrid" seems a bit much. It seems like critics are split down the middle. But what I think is that the Scorcese Factor is coming into play. Critics are feeling the heat to come down on comic book movies so that they can stay "relevant" and be top of the line critics.

And not to detract from the OP's question I think that after a brief slowdown I'm seeing more aggressive prices of late. And a lot of buyers seem to be looking for value right now in the form of sets and lots more so than single issues. I've thrown a couple "Lot of 50 BA War Books" or "Lot of 75 BA Horror Books" together where the average grade runs from 2.0 to 6.0 with an average of 3.0 and they're selling for around $3-$4 a book. 

On 2/27/2023 at 8:56 PM, Kramerica said:
On 2/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, lou_fine said:

"Horrid" seems a bit much. It seems like critics are split down the middle. But what I think is that the Scorcese Factor is coming into play. Critics are feeling the heat to come down on comic book movies so that they can stay "relevant" and be top of the line critics.

And not to detract from the OP's question I think that after a brief slowdown I'm seeing more aggressive prices of late. And a lot of buyers seem to be looking for value right now in the form of sets and lots more so than single issues. I've thrown a couple "Lot of 50 BA War Books" or "Lot of 75 BA Horror Books" together where the average grade runs from 2.0 to 6.0 with an average of 3.0 and they're selling for around $3-$4 a book. 

I chose to go see something "live" and take in a show, rather than a prescreen to the Antman movie. I don't feel that I missed out, but it is killing me wondering if it weren't just as fun :) 

Time to see movies is about all me and my brother have the time to bond over, and yet, it is time for another day.

I love the feedback I get here, and that is enough to suffice, I try not to sweat the small stuff.

On 2/27/2023 at 3:59 PM, Microchip said:

Looking at the intrinsic factors of comic books now:

We keep looking at old paradigm of people going into comic book shops as their first port of call to read/collect/appreciate comic books.    

With the advent of CGC, the reading part has been taken away, and everyone cried it would be the death of comic books when they came along.   This hasn't been the case at all.   And now, where new collectors have joined the hobby entirely in the CGC era, where reading comic books isn't the first consideration at all.    So the decline in LCS's, or raw sales numbers isn't the prominent factor in detraining the longevity, and possible

There's a lot of truth to this.  CGC, as many predicted, has made comics a commodity.  At least moreso than before.  You don't hear coin collectors complaining that nobody can spend the coins once they're certified, although that's not a 100% apples to apples comparison.  But most people just want to have the book for the sake of having it.  What that means is that collecting will trend more toward the qualities that can be appreciated just by owning the book; whether that's the cover alone, or the historic significance of the content.  

On 2/27/2023 at 7:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I chose to go see something "live" and take in a show, rather than a prescreen to the Antman movie. I don't feel that I missed out, but it is killing me wondering if it weren't just as fun :) 

Time to see movies is about all me and my brother have the time to bond over, and yet, it is time for another day.

I love the feedback I get here, and that is enough to suffice, I try not to sweat the small stuff.

Can I ask what you choose to go see "live" instead? If it was live music I think you made the right decision no matter what. Ant-Man will still be there for you.....live music though. Hard to pass that up!

On 2/27/2023 at 9:47 PM, Kramerica said:

Can I ask what you choose to go see "live" instead? If it was live music I think you made the right decision no matter what. Ant-Man will still be there for you.....live music though. Hard to pass that up!

It was Adam Sandler, live so a bit of a song signature, full of guitar, even Schneider was there! Full of t shirts to boot.

IMG_20230215_224523072~2.jpg

IMG_20230215_200403198.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2/28/2023 at 2:12 PM, buttock said:

There's a lot of truth to this.  CGC, as many predicted, has made comics a commodity.  At least moreso than before.  You don't hear coin collectors complaining that nobody can spend the coins once they're certified, although that's not a 100% apples to apples comparison.  But most people just want to have the book for the sake of having it.  What that means is that collecting will trend more toward the qualities that can be appreciated just by owning the book; whether that's the cover alone, or the historic significance of the content.  

You see this so much with guys happy to have low grade CGC copies of key books.   They have 'the book', and thats their first collecting goal.   Moving up the grade ladder, or getting a sig copy seems to be the next step.  

On 2/27/2023 at 10:08 PM, Microchip said:

You see this so much with guys happy to have low grade CGC copies of key books.   They have 'the book', and thats their first collecting goal.   Moving up the grade ladder, or getting a sig copy seems to be the next step.  

This isn't exclusive to comics. I have a buddy who is a sports card collector - almost exclusively baseball - and this is very much a norm for collectors in that hobby as well. He's collecting Hall-of-Famer rookie cards for example, and he's priced out of high-grade copies of many of the older cards, but in order to complete his collection, he goes after lower-grade cards in order to have the card. If it's someone he really likes, he'll sell other cards in order to upgrade. And he knows that vintage cards continue to maintain their value at most grades, or at least have minimal downturns that should correct themselves over a long hold.

I'm the comic collector you're talking about (except for the sig part, I hate signatures on key books) - I'd rather spend the money to have 3-4 graded key books I really want in a grade that's acceptable to me, rather than chase a really high grade copy of a single book. From an investment standpoint, there's also some validity to this practice. For argument's sake, if you had $1,000 to spend, you could buy 4 $250 books or 1 $1,000 book. You can look at a number of books where the 4 have the potential to outpace the 1 in monetary gains over time, plus you're diversifying your investment. Obviously this is a huge oversimplification, but you can definitely find examples of say, four 7.5 keys having higher percentage increases over time vs one 9.8 at the same investment level.

I don't collect or buy cards, but I do pay attention to that market because comics are the "red headed stepchild" to the sports card market and there are lessons to be learned. There are losses in that market since the 2020-2021 boom that have been massive, but they have been smaller in the vintage/"blue chip" cards, and in some cases, those cards continue to do well - a similar case in comics with gold, silver and in some cases, bronze keys, vs. the "flavor of the month" variants.