• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "I can't believe I just sold it for that much" thread....
5 5

205 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

yyyyyy.jpg.c813ef11d65d43f7c34fc29c71edc3f4.jpg

Was there ever any clarification on this? (and the others you posted). None of this sales data made its way to GPA or GoCollect, so not sure if these were actual sales, a glitch in the system, a rogue shiller?

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

prices are crazy these days but there is a caveat ...

say you sold a book on Ebay last year worth 1000 dollars and now it has doubled in price, but this year everyone is getting a IRS 1099 form so that $2000 you would have made this year minus the 28% capitol gains is now down to $1440 minus the headache of another tax form(s)

Not true, that form comes in 2023.  The new law goes into effect on January 1st, 2022.  

"We have already been over this." 

It is also $600 cumulative across the reporting year and not $600 per transaction.  

Edited by Buzzetta

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I would but I am still able to buy them for under $100 when I see them and sell them for around $300

Not true, that form comes in 2023.  The new law goes into effect on January 1st, 2022.  

"We have already been over this." 

It is also $600 cumulative across the reporting year and not $600 per transaction.  

It honestly doesn't matter, I am not on pace for the old $20K at this moment, but I am on pace for a number that I can't really ignore. it was one thing when I made $2K in sales and spent $2K, but this is different.

41 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Was there ever any clarification on this? (and the others you posted). None of this sales data made its way to GPA or GoCollect, so not sure if these were actual sales, a glitch in the system, a rogue shiller?

Don't know about gocollect, but GPA does not include Comiclink sales. 

47 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

yyyyyy.jpg.c813ef11d65d43f7c34fc29c71edc3f4.jpg

Expand  

Watched these two books climb as the auction progressed.

000000000.thumb.jpg.eca9370fbcdf6bac96a44e7f0eea30d9.jpg

2 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

@BlowUpTheMoon I think Thor 162 went for a similar price as well that night. 

I'm just pulling images from the thread below as we tracked the auction in real time.  Missed the #162

I feel like people buying these books are in another league.....for some I want to know why...do they really see some of these books growing even more? Do they love 9.8s that much?

My worry for a handful of the books posted (except maybe that 9.9 TOD 10), is that in the wake of a likely economic crash, comics will dip (not crash but dip hard) and the road to profiting on those books even more will be a steep and slow climb.

Edited by comicginger1789

I think I bought this here on these boards a few months ago for $30 or $40, with full intention of keeping it because I liked the artwork. But, I decided to do some cleaning out a month or 2 after I got it, and decided that it was maybe superfluous to what I wanted to keep. So, I sent it off to MCS:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=53339314 

Was three issues shy of run of original X-Men (missing 3, 6 and 32), but decided to bail on the series in light of recent spikes, and sold my #4 last month for $ two grand (bought it more than a decade ago), maybe a 3.0 with water staining throughout.

IMG_0344.thumb.JPG.c7688c4bd755317ef2f60fa3e92dcd07.JPG

On 5/6/2021 at 10:56 AM, grebal said:

Was three issues shy of run of original X-Men (missing 3, 6 and 32), but decided to bail on the series in light of recent spikes, and sold my #4 last month for $ two grand (bought it more than a decade ago), maybe a 3.0 with water staining throughout.

IMG_0344.thumb.JPG.c7688c4bd755317ef2f60fa3e92dcd07.JPG

shrewd move to sell this for 2k and put that money into an IRA or pay down your mortgage !!

Edited by 1950's war comics

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

shrewd move to sell this for 2k and put that money into an IRA or pay down your mortgage !!

Well, that was the original plan anyway.

But then I happened upon a copy of Fantastic Four 1 in GD, decent looking copy, and I've never had a copy of that comic, heh; and since my other big 'never hads' are Spiderman's first two appearances -which a few years ago I decided Spiderman isn't really my favorite Marvel character after all, coincidentally around the same week AF 15 jumped from the $15k range to 20k for copies in about VG+ shape. You get the idea.

Now I have these two plastic 'tombs' screaming at me to sell them (tombs with midrange DD 1 and low grade X-Men 1 inside them). And the conundrum has become which will be hurt the least by inflation in the bizarre free money fantasy world I'm trapped in - the IRA or those two 'keys'?  Then I'll probably ditch the rest of the X-men 7-48 (minus the 32), and maybe the 2 and 5 (and keep the Adams Steranko and Smith parts probably).

Edited by grebal