• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "I can't believe I just sold it for that much" thread....
5 5

205 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Is Nic Cage collecting again? 

He's been back in for some time.

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Wasn't the story that he had to sell everything because Lisa Marie Presley told him to? hm  She's not telling him what to do now. :grin:

I'd heard he sold out of frustration after the theft from his home.

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

That's true.

When you have nothing, $100 can mean survival.

When you have a little, $100 can mean you make it to the next paycheck.

When you already have enough, $100 means you can get something extra.

When you have extra, $100 doesn't matter much at all.

Depending upon how much extra you already have, $100 could be $1,000, $10,000, or even $10,000,000, and it still doesn't matter much at all.

In my life, I have experienced all of these situations for $100. 

I can't just plug in any dollar amount, though, because $1,000 still matters a lot to me. :kidaround:

I think what matters more is how money is acquired. People who worked hard for their money their entire lives don't spend it so easily.

Those who came about it quickly spend it quickly and they care far less about overpaying for something.

I've dealt with some of the wealthiest people in the hobby and those that worked hard for their money care about the dollars and cents.

Those that made money through the lottery (or Bitcoin - so, through the lottery again! (:) will be more likely to spend it much more freely and even throw money at things just to acquire them, no matter the cost.

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

Wasn't the story that he had to sell everything because Lisa Marie Presley told him to? hm  She's not telling him what to do now. :grin:

This brought to mind the movie "the Accountant" starring Ben Affleck. In it, he has to go to his stash house and grab all of his portable treasures. Among them, A copy of Action Comics #1 (clearly a fake). The way he handled it made me cringe. If it had been real, it would have lost significant value just from the filming. Also, not in a case, maybe not even a bag.

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The key is to never look back. Stuff is always worth more.

What did you do with your $2K that you wouldn't have done? That's the key.

I used it for medical expenses - so I was happy to get it and I sold it on the boards along with a bunch of other stuff to some very, very nice people (I think you are one of them - I think I sold you a DC Presents #26 CGC 9.8... that one I don't miss as much as I've got 4 others that I'm getting graded right now, 2 CGC and 2 with CBCG since they are signed internally and need authentication). 

Getting back on my feet now and I got a ASM 300 in 9.4 to satiate me - can't justify the price of a 9.8...

Thank you for the good advice and perspective. 

10 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I've sold some books on eBay and I've peeked at the home address on Zillow, I see buyers owning a home in the 1-4 million price range.

Maybe they think having money invested into collectables is a good thing?

That's an interesting experiment.  I rarely sell, but I guess I could do the same with the return addresses when I buy. hm (thumbsu

10 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Wow, that is a nice rate of return, if you sell. Curious if prices will ever come down that low again.

I've sold some books on eBay and I've peeked at the home address on Zillow, I see buyers owning a home in the 1-4 million price range.

Maybe they think having money invested into collectables is a good thing?

What prices were the books you sold?

8 hours ago, wiparker824 said:
9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The key is to never look back. Stuff is always worth more.

What did you do with your $2K that you wouldn't have done? That's the key.

Exactly, as long as you YOLO’d it all into 9.8 Alf 48’s you’re golden.

There are only 9 on the CGC census, so even if you had them all, it would still be a small stack. :kidaround: