• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "I can't believe I just sold it for that much" thread....
5 5

205 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Is Nic Cage collecting again? 

hm well he was ole GR at one point (shrug)

Wasn't the story that he had to sell everything because Lisa Marie Presley told him to? hm  She's not telling him what to do now. :grin:

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

That's true.

When you have nothing, $100 can mean survival.

When you have a little, $100 can mean you make it to the next paycheck.

When you already have enough, $100 means you can get something extra.

When you have extra, $100 doesn't matter much at all.

Depending upon how much extra you already have, $100 could be $1,000, $10,000, or even $10,000,000, and it still doesn't matter much at all.

In my life, I have experienced all of these situations for $100. 

I can't just plug in any dollar amount, though, because $1,000 still matters a lot to me:kidaround:

Yes, same here.  1k is a lot of money to me.  

37 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's true.

When you have nothing, $100 can mean survival.

When you have a little, $100 can mean you make it to the next paycheck.

When you already have enough, $100 means you can get something extra.

When you have extra, $100 doesn't matter much at all.

Depending upon how much extra you already have, $100 could be $1,000, $10,000, or even $10,000,000, and it still doesn't matter much at all.

In my life, I have experienced all of these situations for $100. 

I can't just plug in any dollar amount, though, because $1,000 still matters a lot to me. :kidaround:

In theory you could spend $1,000, if you sold X amount of books at top dollar, would the $1,000+ you spent on a book balance out? hm

1 minute ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

In theory you could spend $1,000, if you sold X amount of books at top dollar, would the $1,000+ you spent on a book balance out? hm

I think you're describing "separate dollars" for hobbies (some people call it "play money" and always look at their original costs instead of values).

When you put $100 into a hobby and you're able to sell later for $300, some people would say they still only have $100 invested. 

They're more willing to potentially lose $200 of their $300 because they only spent $100 in the first place and they would still have $100 leftover to "balance out".

This can be done with any amount of money, since it's a mindset.  "I only invested $X, and I cashed out for $X+$Y, so I don't care if I lose $Y later because I still have my original $X."

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious what a high grade Action 1 would fetch in this market. 

Be interesting to see if the 9.8 census numbers get a bump in the next few months....

maybe in 6+ months with the turn around rates. Plus, being a black cover super hard to get a 9.8

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I think you're describing "separate dollars" for hobbies (some people call it "play money" and always look at their original costs instead of values).

When you put $100 into a hobby and you're able to sell later for $300, some people would say they still only have $100 invested. 

They're more willing to potentially lose $200 of their $300 because they only spent $100 in the first place and they would still have $100 leftover to "balance out".

This can be done with any amount of money, since it's a mindset.  "I only invested $X, and I cashed out for $X+$Y, so I don't care if I lose $Y later because I still have my original $X."

Makes sense (thumbsu

1 minute ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:
17 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Makes sense (thumbsu

I did the same thing when I traded a CGC 4.0 Amazing Fantasy #15 for a CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 First printing.  I had purchased the 4.0 AF #15 for $5,000 at a time when the 9.6 TMNT #1 cost more than $5,000.

So, if I say that I always wanted the TMNT #1 instead, then the trade made sense as soon as it was possible.  I "got" the TMNT #1 for $5K since that was my original investment.

At the time of the trade, they were worth about $8K each and equal in value.  Some time later, the 4.0 AF #15 was worth about $25K while the 9.6 TMNT #1 was worth about $15K. 

At that point, I had "lost" $10K by doing the trade and having the lower valued book, but I had also "made" $10K since I spent $5K and my book was worth $15K.

More recently, the 9.6 TMNT #1 has passed $85K and sold over $65K a few times, while the 4.0 AF #15 hasn't reached $55K.

All those things are good outcomes, regardless of which book I hold... but I still consider the whole thing a $5K investment.

If the 9.6 TMNT #1 price crashes, I can watch it fall all the way back to $5K and it will still "balance out".

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I did the same thing when I traded a CGC 4.0 Amazing Fantasy #15 for a CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 First printing.  I had purchased the 4.0 AF #15 for $5,000 at a time when the 9.6 TMNT #1 cost more than $5,000.

So, if I say that I always wanted the TMNT #1 instead, then the trade made sense as soon as it was possible.  I "got" the TMNT #1 for $5K since that was my original investment.

At the time of the trade, they were worth about $8K each and equal in value.  Some time later, the 4.0 AF #15 was worth about $25K while the 9.6 TMNT #1 was worth about $15K. 

At that point, I had "lost" $10K by doing the trade and having the lower valued book, but I had also "made" $10K since I spent $5K and my book was worth $15K.

More recently, the 9.6 TMNT #1 has passed $85K and sold over $65K a few times, while the 4.0 AF #15 hasn't reached $55K.

All those things are good outcomes, regardless of which book I hold... but I still consider the whole thing a $5K investment.

If the 9.6 TMNT #1 price crashes, I can watch it fall all the way back to $5K and it will still "balance out".

Wow, that is a nice rate of return, if you sell. Curious if prices will ever come down that low again.

I've sold some books on eBay and I've peeked at the home address on Zillow, I see buyers owning a home in the 1-4 million price range.

Maybe they think having money invested into collectables is a good thing?