• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grief counselling topic - discuss the comics you owned which are lost, stolen or destroyed
2 2

64 posts in this topic

I had a box of GA Actions packaged to send to CGC in December 2010  I figured  I would wait until after Christmas to ship them and avoid possible damage during the holiday rush.  25 hours after Christmas, the house burned to the ground.   :tonofbricks:

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I had a box of GA Actions packaged to send to CGC in December 2010  I figured  I would wait until after Christmas to ship them and avoid possible damage during the holiday rush.  25 hours after Christmas, the house burned to the ground.   :tonofbricks:

I remember when you originally posted about the fire.  Man, that was rough.

6 hours ago, comicdonna said:

That was a bad day.  Am I misremembering or did you go back in to grab a box of comics and barely make it back out?  I was just a lurker back then and remember feeling for you when I read your initial post.  I remember thinking the cliche but true saying of "you guys made it out, possessions can be replaced but people can't" and being glad you guys got out.  But still, bad day.  :foryou:

I must have been glued to the TV or Nintendo while my mom was trying to get me to do something (probably homework).  She threatens to cut up my comics if I don't turn off the game.  I'm there pleading that I'm almost done or that I need to reach a save point, but my reasons fall on deaf ears.  Mom goes to my room, grabs my Ghost Rider #15 (the glow in the dark cover) and cuts it with a scissor.  Grabs another book...cuts it with a scissor.  Can't remember what happened next, but mom must have won that round since those were the only two books destroyed.  I imagine I absolutely lost my mind screaming, stomping, and doing whatever else it is little kids do.

(I ended up finding replacement copies a few years back of those books in the dollar bin.  I still have the cut up copies (which I taped) as a reminder.)

3 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

That was a bad day.  Am I misremembering or did you go back in to grab a box of comics and barely make it back out?  I was just a lurker back then and remember feeling for you when I read your initial post.  I remember thinking the cliche but true saying of "you guys made it out, possessions can be replaced but people can't" and being glad you guys got out.  But still, bad day.  :foryou:

Yeah, I made 2 trips back inside.  It definitely wasn't safe.  

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:
6 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Yeah, I made 2 trips back inside.  It definitely wasn't safe.  

Is there anything you do  with your collection differently now that this happened?

No.  It was just one of those unforeseen things in life.  

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Just debating if I should centralize all my keys into an easy to grab box

Mine were in CGC boxes.  The handles allowed me to carry 2 each trip.  Without handles, I would not have been able to balance the 2 boxes so, I recommend those.  

On 5/26/2021 at 2:08 PM, Wolverinex said:

This sounds like an interesting story.. do share.

Well, the rough outline of the story is that in late '76, early '77, someone was looking to get rid of a bunch of comics, and called a few dealers in the Boulder, CO area. to see if they would come take a look and make an offer. Those dealers passed on the collection because it didn't sound very promising/too much work. The seller finally got some hippie to come out to take a look at the comics, and that hippie ended up buying the entire collection.

And that collection of old comic books? It grew up to be the Mile High/Edgar Church collection.

And now you know the rest of the story!

Edited by stock_rotation

9 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

Well, the rough outline of the story is that in late '76, early '77, someone was looking to get rid of a bunch of comics, and called a few dealers in the Boulder, CO area. to see if they would come take a look and make an offer. Those dealers passed on the collection because it didn't sound very promising/too much work. The seller finally got some hippie to come out to take a look at the comics, and that hippie ended up buying the entire collection.

And that collection of old comic books? It grew up to be the Mile High/Edgar Church collection.

And now you know the rest of the story!

Interesting.  I also saw this youtube on Chuck too.  

On 5/24/2021 at 8:53 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Well, my grandfather had a Superman #1 and a Batman #1 that he was going to give me when I turned 18. They both perished in a flood a few years before that milestone.

It really is incredible the freakish things that can happen over time. A few years ago we had the worst storm seen in decades. The next day I went down stairs to find the long boxes which contained my collection were soaked. The powerful side ways rain had found a way into the store room. While the lids were wrecked the comics inside were fine. Don't assume your collection is 100% safe. Check on it!

Since I first created this thread I remembered another lose. It was an old magazine which I didn't store with the rest of my comics because of it's size. It was in a box with all my black and white Australian edition reprints. Anyway my wife was working at a childcare centre and wanted to know if there were any comics I could give them. Without thinking I agree she could take the box of apparently worthless Aussie edition stuff. The magazine was Marvel Preview 2. Hope the kids got some enjoyment out of it :/

1238135963_PunisherMagazineMarvelPreview2.jpg.4c93b36a0c5aac16270643eec2362938.jpg

I have a distinct memory of buying an Avengers #28 from a con. But do you think I can find the book since? It's like it's just decided to never exist. I swear I bought it!! 

On 8/3/2021 at 11:01 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I have a distinct memory of buying an Avengers #28 from a con. But do you think I can find the book since? It's like it's just decided to never exist. I swear I bought it!! 

I was the same thing with a flash 123 thankfully I end up finding it in my garage

On 8/4/2021 at 1:03 AM, Wolverinex said:

I was the same thing with a flash 123 thankfully I end up finding it in my garage

Guess where I'm checking next? lol

On 8/4/2021 at 1:30 AM, Wolverinex said:

Good luck!  mine fell behind a few boxes.

Thanks, but that's not a whole lot of guidance for me. That probably describes 80% of my garage. Boxes. Boxes, boxes, boxes. 

On 8/3/2021 at 11:35 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Thanks, but that's not a whole lot of guidance for me. That probably describes 80% of my garage. Boxes. Boxes, boxes, boxes. 

I pretty much went through my entire house and everybox looking for that book.  I did a stepwise deep search.