• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,554 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2023 at 9:16 AM, Sqeggs said:

Since the first sale is showing up in Heritage's archives, that would seem to indicate that it did go through.

On 6/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, tth2 said:

Well, I guess this goes a long way to prove that the Promise books were clearly undergraded on their first go round as rumours would have it.  (:  

I think Halperin should take this 9.6 copy here and march himself right down to the CGC grading office with his whip and show those no good insubordinate graders who's the real boss of this whole operations here.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, Sqeggs said:

On 6/5/2023 at 7:28 AM, tth2 said:

Since the first sale is showing up in Heritage's archives, that would seem to indicate that it did go through.

Yes let's just keep moseying along, nothing to see at all herewhen it comes to the Promise books.............just your usual typical everyday pocket change loss of only $43,200 or a mere 72% after just one year with the book going from $60K down to $16,800.  doh!  :tonofbricks:   :cry:

On 6/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, tth2 said:

It looks like the upper staple is impacted, and there appears to be a spot of rust staining around the lower staple. :drool: That passes for 9.6 these days? :roflmao:

I guess I need to resubmit a bunch of my books. :insane:

On 6/5/2023 at 11:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess this goes a long way to prove that the Promise books were clearly undergraded on their first go round as rumours would have it.  (:  

I think Halperin should take this 9.6 copy here and march himself right down to the CGC grading office with his whip and show those no good insubordinate graders who's the real boss of this whole operations here.  lol

I'm not seeing the 9.2 Promise in heritage's archives (there is a different 9.2 in the archive) but I can do you one better when it comes to Plastic Man 16:

Mile High, 8.5 https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/plastic-man-16-mile-high-pedigree-quality-1949-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages-a-nearly-flawless-copy-with-a-perfe/a/803-7346.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Presto!  Change-o!

Mile High, 9.6  https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/plastic-man-16-mile-high-pedigree-quality-1949-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages-this-sweet-copy-has-a-lot-going-for/a/817-3409.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Open-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514

On 6/6/2023 at 10:06 AM, Bronty said:

:whatthe:  The most surprising aspect of this is that the 8.5 looks nicer.  Not only does the 9.6 retain all of the original flaws (small crease in URC and slightly smashed bottom of spine), but due to the pressing, the front cover no longer covers the top of the pages on the right side.  

On 6/6/2023 at 10:28 AM, RareHighGrade said:

:whatthe:  The most surprising aspect of this is that the 8.5 looks nicer.  Not only does the 9.6 retain all of the original flaws (small crease in URC and slightly smashed bottom of spine), but due to the pressing, the front cover no longer covers the top of the pages on the right side.  

Then again not really that surprising, since beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, so is ugliness also in the eye of the beholder.  hm

As such, what most of us here (i.e. collectors) would see as a defect, others (i.e. CGC graders) would see as a positive benefit because it's evidence or proof that the submittor has paid their just dues to the CCG ownership group and therefore should be rewarded accordingly.  :devil:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/6/2023 at 10:06 AM, Bronty said:

I'm not seeing the 9.2 Promise in heritage's archives (there is a different 9.2 in the archive) but I can do you one better when it comes to Plastic Man 16:

I also didn't see it when I took the short cut within their current listing and had to go all the way back out and then into their archive to see it:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/plastic-man-16-the-promise-collection-pedigree-bell-features-1949-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122223-11692.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Plastic Man #16 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Bell Features, 1949) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

On 6/6/2023 at 12:01 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It looks like the upper staple is impacted, and there appears to be a spot of rust staining around the lower staple. :drool: That passes for 9.6 these days? :roflmao:

I guess I need to resubmit a bunch of my books. :insane:

I wish there were some consistency in the way CGC formulates their reader notes. I see a spot of discoloration on the paper near the spine, but no rust on the staple. But inexplicably, cgc only occasionally makes a note of rust, even in books with worse problems. This always leaves me to wonder if the rust developed after grading, and I have no way of knowing if the rust was taken into consideration when calculating the grade. Obviously it was taken into consideration here, but other times I am left to wonderrantrant

On 5/11/2023 at 6:59 AM, ThothAmon said:

The wheels on the bus go round and round. Maybe the seller needs some tax losses?

On 5/11/2023 at 9:24 AM, buttock said:

My gut feeling on this book is that if I saw it pop up on a dealer's website it would probably be around $35k.  

Well, not so surprisingly, it appears that the Promise copy of Suspense 11 sold for quite a bit more than $35K according to this post from Tim:  :bigsmile:

On 6/8/2023 at 8:23 PM, tth2 said:

Suspense Comics # 11 CGC 9.8 Promise ended at $147k on ComicConnect just now.  

@MasterChief

What is rather surprising though is that the seller actually looks to be ahead by a few hundred dollars after taking the 10% auction fee into account since the book sold for $132K on the first go round at Heritage.  :whatthe:  

On 6/9/2023 at 3:47 AM, lou_fine said:

What is rather surprising though is that the seller actually looks to be ahead by a few hundred dollars after taking the 10% auction fee into account since the book sold for $132K on the first go round at Heritage.  :whatthe:  

That's an awesome ROI. It's a good thing that inflation isn't real! Oh, wait . . ..

On 6/9/2023 at 10:30 PM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 6/9/2023 at 3:47 PM, lou_fine said:

That's an awesome ROI. It's a good thing that inflation isn't real! Oh, wait . . ..

Selling a Promise book and not taking a loss IS a win.