• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2023 at 6:00 PM, batman_fan said:
On 4/7/2023 at 5:32 PM, MrBedrock said:

Well, the tag line "The Dell/Gold Key Collection of Doug Schmell" was a useful hint for the rest of us.

lol

Where exactly are you guys seeing this tagline with Doug's full name in there, as I can only see the title of the auction, namely Doug's Dell & Gold Key Comics (& Comic Art) Showcase Auction(s)"?  ???

On 4/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, lou_fine said:
On 4/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, batman_fan said:
On 4/7/2023 at 2:32 PM, MrBedrock said:

Well, the tag line "The Dell/Gold Key Collection of Doug Schmell" was a useful hint for the rest of us.

lol

Where exactly are you guys seeing this tagline with Doug's full name in there, as I can only see the title of the auction, namely Doug's Dell & Gold Key Comics (& Comic Art) Showcase Auction(s)"?  ???

Well, now you've gone and done it, Dean! Richie was speaking for everyone on the boards when he said the tag line was a useful hint for the rest of us:makepoint:

On 4/7/2023 at 10:27 PM, MasterChief said:

Well, now you've gone and done it, Dean! Richie was speaking for everyone on the boards when he said the tag line was a useful hint for the rest of us:makepoint:

Well, of course my computer skills leave a lot to be desired so it's quite possible that I am simply not searching in the right online places.  :facepalm:

That's why although I suspected it might have been Schmell's collection in the first Doug's Dell & Gold Key Showcase Auction back in November, I was not actually sure until a few other boardies in the know mentioned it in their posts here.  (thumbsu

Since you are obviously much more computer literate than me, maybe you can find and post a link to this tagline for the rest of us here.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/7/2023 at 2:07 PM, MasterChief said:

lol So any auction with the name "Doug" in the title automatically means Doug Schmell. Got it. Your logic remains as always infallible and beyond reproach. (thumbsu

There is only one “Doug” in this hobby. If you don’t believe me, ask him…

On 4/8/2023 at 8:06 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, that was the big HA summer auction of 2012 and least with this one here, they clearly designated it as "From The Doug Schmell / Pedigree.Comics Collection:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+790+231+4294957212&ic5=CatalogHome-ActionArea-BrowseAll-071515

I still find it highly ironic that Doug's PedigreeComics.com website auction platform which specializes mostly in HG SA Marvels for his clientele, and yet he felt it was not good enough when it came to auctioning off his own personal SA Marvel collection.  Great promotion and selling point for his own auction platform. (:

Interesting to note that your linked Daily Mail article states that Doug's favorite book was his CGC 9.8 graded Pacific Coast copy of X-Men 1.  I sure hope so because it must have cost him a ton of money to get it into that final slab because if I remember correctly, it took him about 3 or 4 resubs before CGC figured that he must have paid enough dues and finally gave it the bump from a 9.6 up to a 9.8.  :devil:

The article also states that almost every single comic in the collection was rated as the highest graded copy left in existence.  Although probably true for most of the issues, definitely not the case with respect to the majority of the key first issues as I believe that Brulato's copies of those key first issues are still the highest graded copies (save now for only a couple of the titles) after some 20+ plus years of certification.  Actually, rather surprising with so many copies of these key first issues submitted in the intervening years and decades for grading and still none (save for 2 titles) have been able to beat those copies from Brulato which were graded when CGC first opened their doors.  :whatthe:   hm

On 4/9/2023 at 10:52 PM, sartrexpress said:

Ah, the Cap 74. Such a great book, and I know it went for heavy gold. To me, the Promise books are unusual in how clean the back covers are. Congratulations!  With that many to choose from,  It must have been difficult deciding which Promise Timelys to go after

BDD8A590-10DA-4D69-9CAB-5DD1ECD2C563.jpeg

AE9DCFB5-A726-4FC3-851A-767D013594FC.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 4/10/2023 at 3:47 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

To me, the Promise books are unusual in how clean the back covers are. Congratulations!  With that many to choose from,  It must have been difficult deciding which Promise Timelys to go after

Yes, I clearly remember always checking out the back covers because it's so much easier to see defects on a book when there's so much less cover art to obsure what you are looking at when it came to HG books.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/10/2023 at 6:58 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, I clearly remember always checking out the back covers because it's so much easier to see defects on a book when there's so much less cover art to obsure what you are looking at when it came to HG books.  (thumbsu

I think you're messin with me now, Lou!

On 4/10/2023 at 5:34 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 4/10/2023 at 4:58 PM, lou_fine said:

I think you're messin with me now, Lou!

No, not at all as I always went by strict visual appearance when I brought my books back in the day and if the front cover of a book looked gorgeous enough to buy, then it was a definite no brainer if you flipped it over and it had a perfect looking snow white cover like your Promise copy of Cap 74 here (preferably without the off-center cut though):  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 4/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, lou_fine said:

No, not at all as I always went by strict visual appearance when I brought my books back in the day and if the front cover of a book looked gorgeous enough to buy, then it was a definite no brainer if you flipped it over and it had a perfect looking snow white cover like your Promise copy of Cap 74 here (preferably without the off-center cut though):  :luhv:  :takeit:

It's Stephen's copy, Clark's merely admiring it ...as are we all.  :gossip: 

I'm pretty sure he pulled that back cover image off the HA site. I'll add that this is one of those Promise books that ...off-center cut notwithstanding... lives up to its grade opinion at least from a cursory cover examination.

BTW, given the collection in which this book resides, it's doubtful that the word "flip" or any variation thereof will be in it's future! lol

On 4/13/2023 at 2:17 PM, Sonic77 said:

Won this a bit ago but just came in from CGC, 1st Al Williamson work in comics.  Very happy with the grade. 

What grade did Heritage list it as?

On 4/13/2023 at 7:39 AM, tth2 said:

What grade did Heritage list it as?

Listed as a VF/NM 9.0 copy back in December of 2022 that sold for $288:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-169-the-promise-collection-pedigree-eastern-color-1948-condition-vf-nm/a/122250-13402.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Famous Funnies #169 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Eastern Color, 1948) Condition: VF/NM....

Edited by lou_fine