• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2023 at 5:43 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

And here it is now, as listed in one of the current auctions 

I really wanna know how the gunk on the back cover disappeared 

83FEF62A-D84F-4C84-A38F-5A1B6D402792.jpeg

F79AC882-984C-4838-9A52-542AAC99526A.jpeg

On 4/24/2023 at 5:43 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I really wanna know how the gunk on the back cover disappeared 

83FEF62A-D84F-4C84-A38F-5A1B6D402792.jpeg

F79AC882-984C-4838-9A52-542AAC99526A.jpeg

There’s no way that was removed by dry cleaning. That’s restoration.

On 4/24/2023 at 8:29 AM, tth2 said:

Without seeing it in person, I don't how you could possibly say that.

True.  Sometimes this stuff just rubs right off.  But this does look more like it would have taken some extra measures, and it would be enough of a concern for me to want to steer clear of it.  

On 4/24/2023 at 10:29 AM, tth2 said:

Without seeing it in person, I don't how you could possibly say that.

So can you tell me how that’s removed without say using peroxide or some other cleaner? 

On 4/24/2023 at 9:37 AM, bronze johnny said:

So can you tell me how that’s removed without say using peroxide or some other cleaner? 

If it's surface dirt you can just wipe/rub/scrape it off with a variety of tools. 

On 4/24/2023 at 12:14 PM, buttock said:

If it's surface dirt you can just wipe/rub/scrape it off with a variety of tools. 

Wonder Classic White Bread | Hy-Vee Aisles Online Grocery Shopping

On 4/24/2023 at 11:11 AM, bronze johnny said:

Yep, but that’s not surface dirt and agree with your point about staying away from that book.

You'd be surprised.  I think tth2 has a point that you can't say with certainty.  But I'm siding with you that it probably was treated with something more. 

On 4/24/2023 at 1:58 PM, buttock said:

You'd be surprised.  I think tth2 has a point that you can't say with certainty.  But I'm siding with you that it probably was treated with something more. 

Thanks. I will say with a high degree of probability that this book was restored given it “was treated with something more” than dry cleaning. 

On 4/25/2023 at 1:11 AM, bronze johnny said:
On 4/25/2023 at 12:14 AM, buttock said:

Yep, but that’s not surface dirt and agree with your point about staying away from that book.

The point is that I don't know WHAT it is, and I wouldn't be willing to definitively say what it is or is not only on the basis of a scan. 

On 4/24/2023 at 5:59 PM, tth2 said:

The point is that I don't know WHAT it is, and I wouldn't be willing to definitively say what it is or is not only on the basis of a scan. 

And MY point is that I say it’s restored based on my view of the scan. You’re welcome to draw your own conclusions as I am mine. 

On 4/24/2023 at 2:22 PM, bronze johnny said:
On 4/24/2023 at 10:58 AM, buttock said:

Thanks. I will say with a high degree of probability that this book was restored given it “was treated with something more” than dry cleaning.

Well, looks like this very topic is being talked about rather vigrorously in this thread here from the Grading and Restorations Forum:  :blahblah:  :slapfight:

Skimmed through part of this thread here and besides UV blue light, did noticed that some boardies had mentioned this product here: hm (shrug)

image.jpeg.4517d0140e156a3da12bfd10171bc560.jpeg

Absorene is the original dry cleaner that works like an eraser, by drawing dust and dirt from surfaces. Used by museum curators, archival restoration experts, and libraries to clean old manuscripts, prints, oil paintings, books, papers and tapestries.

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/24/2023 at 2:43 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

For the lazy ones like me when it comes to searching, would you have a link handy for this upgraded CGC 6.5 Promise copy of Cap 5?  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/24/2023 at 11:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like this very topic is being talked about rather vigrorously in this thread here from the Grading and Restorations Forum:  :blahblah:  :slapfight:

Skimmed through part of this thread here and besides UV blue light, did noticed that some boardies had mentioned this product here: hm (shrug)

image.jpeg.4517d0140e156a3da12bfd10171bc560.jpeg

Absorene is the original dry cleaner that works like an eraser, by drawing dust and dirt from surfaces. Used by museum curators, archival restoration experts, and libraries to clean old manuscripts, prints, oil paintings, books, papers and tapestries.

Just to be clear before one of our eager beavers makes a slight error in judgment, ...this may look similar, but is not the same thing)...  :gossip:

7144IkpPSKS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

:cheers:

On 4/24/2023 at 11:16 PM, lou_fine said:

For the lazy ones like me when it comes to searching, would you have a link handy for this upgraded CGC 6.5 Promise copy of Cap 5?  (thumbsu

The auction ended last night, and since it was Clink, the link went  “poof”. It hammered for $12,450 or thereabouts