• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Owners of CGC
8 8

216 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

I would definitely not buy a used car from this guy. :gossip: If he gives you the finger  you’re going to know it too…:nyah:

DDCE573B-80DE-4AD3-B488-C151083AC84A.jpeg.fd2e00bd53ba22979c26c7544fe327e1.jpeg

F72D79AD-B025-4C27-8547-52D22E9C84B4.thumb.jpeg.f8f8409ffd08a9e89e4b73677a9753ce.jpeg

I'm waiting for the day when I walk into a used car lot and the salesman immediately gives me the finger. That's when I'll buy a car.

17 minutes ago, path4play said:

Good Lord what is happening here?  We are collecting comics printed on newsprint.  This is supposed to be fun?

It is. Comics are fun, whether CGC exist or not. Who cares who owns them?

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Exactly. It sure used to be. Remember going to cons and being one of those geeks, weird-ohs or nerds? Remember looking inside your books and discovery that you would share with your fellow collectors? I really miss that “thrill of the hunt” at cons, flea markets, garage sales and other out of the way places. Posting them here and discussing them with those who truly love the medium for what it was. 

Now what is left? Discussing a grading company and worshiping a number in the upper corner of a plastic case. Or a wonderful freak of nature collection of wonderful comic books that have obviously been “maximized” for as much money as possible. 

Do you think those who diligently compiled these collections like Edgar, Lamont, or Junie did it for the money? No they did it for the love of the books. 

Yeah, I’m a grizzly old guy. I remember the fun of this hobby. It just isn’t as much fun as it used to be. Really sad that we seem to have lost our way...

They (Edgar, Lamont, or Junie) were lucky to do so (compile a paper collection).  Frankly, Mao and Stalin were not worried about comics.  Thank yourself your collection is worth anything today and your not hiding it in your attic.

And when I see things like this, I believe that the monetization of the CGC boards is inevitable.   Here you have Dynamic Forces creating a post to sell some of their items. Basically this sidesteps website advertisement fees.  Instead of buying banner space, they are creating a thread to sell their items.  This is a company and not a collector offloading some of their collection or making a couple of flips.

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

And when I see things like this, I believe that the monetization of the CGC boards is inevitable.   Here you have Dynamic Forces creating a post to sell some of their items. Basically this sidesteps website advertisement fees.  Instead of buying banner space, they are creating a thread to sell their items.  This is a company and not a collector offloading some of their collection or making a couple of flips.

True, but we’ve had a number of professional dealers (who are a business) not collectors selling on threads for years now. Also those flippers in many, many cases here are not doing a couple of flips. They are like what day traders are to the stock market and its their business. I don’t see anything wrong with Dynamic Forces or anyone else selling items here if they follow the rules. Comics have been a business for a number of years now and the only change I’m seeing is a broader acceptance of that business and the changes that brings. Blame the social acceptance and popularity of comics in our media channels these days for any changes that happen at the collecting level too. Two employees at my GF’s work are investing in high grade comics like Amazing Fantasy #15, Fantastic Four #1, Hulk #181, etc… not because they are comic collectors but think it’s something to add to their investment portfolio these days. Both love comic characters but probably mostly from the media sources and not the actual comics like many older collectors. Just like music the content stays the same but how you hear it today vs the past is constantly changing. 

38 minutes ago, path4play said:

They (Edgar, Lamont, or Junie) were lucky to do so (compile a paper collection).  Frankly, Mao and Stalin were not worried about comics.  Thank yourself your collection is worth anything today and your not hiding it in your attic.

It pays to read through these things. :eyeroll: At first glance I thought you were referencing “Starlin” and I was thinking who the hell is Mao…lol Figured it might be a manga artist I missed…doh!

20 minutes ago, N e r V said:

True, but we’ve had a number of professional dealers (who are a business) not collectors selling on threads for years now. Also those flippers in many, many cases here are not doing a couple of flips. They are like what day traders are to the stock market and its their business. I don’t see anything wrong with Dynamic Forces or anyone else selling items here if they follow the rules. Comics have been a business for a number of years now and the only change I’m seeing is a broader acceptance of that business and the changes that brings. Blame the social acceptance and popularity of comics in our media channels these days for any changes that happen at the collecting level too. Two employees at my GF’s work are investing in high grade comics like Amazing Fantasy #15, Fantastic Four #1, Hulk #181, etc… not because they are comic collectors but think it’s something to add to their investment portfolio these days. Both love comic characters but probably mostly from the media sources and not the actual comics like many older collectors. Just like music the content stays the same but how you hear it today vs the past is constantly changing. 

I was trying to be polite because I do not expect to see Dynamic Forces wandering into this thread.

When you have other businesses and comic and art dealers getting free space to sell along with part time dealer / collectors looking to flip to fund or collectors looking to offload... there is a lot of untapped revenue that could be generated.   

I am saying that the rules will eventually change. 

Edited by Buzzetta

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I was trying to be polite because I do not expect to see Dynamic Forces to wander into this thread.

When you have other businesses and comic and art dealers getting free space to sell along with part time dealer / collectors looking to flip to fund or collectors looking to offload... there is a lot of untapped revenue that could be generated.   

I am saying that the rules will eventually change. 

So are you suggesting they might start charging sellers a fee to sell here?

12 minutes ago, N e r V said:

It pays to read through these things. :eyeroll: At first glance I thought you were referencing “Starlin” and I was thinking who the hell is Mao…lol Figured it might be a manga artist I missed…doh!

Hilarious.  Fumiko got her comics back presumably thanks to the supreme court ruling ending the Japanese incarceration.  And folks here are complaining (I guess) the value of their collection is too high, and they can't buy more.

Edited by path4play

57 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Exactly. It sure used to be. Remember going to cons and being one of those geeks, weird-ohs or nerds? Remember looking inside your books and discovery that you would share with your fellow collectors? I really miss that “thrill of the hunt” at cons, flea markets, garage sales and other out of the way places. Posting them here and discussing them with those who truly love the medium for what it was. 

Now what is left? Discussing a grading company and worshiping a number in the upper corner of a plastic case. Or a wonderful freak of nature collection of wonderful comic books that have obviously been “maximized” for as much money as possible. 

Do you think those who diligently compiled these collections like Edgar, Lamont, or Junie did it for the money? No they did it for the love of the books. 

Yeah, I’m a grizzly old guy. I remember the fun of this hobby. It just isn’t as much fun as it used to be. Really sad that we seem to have lost our way...

I think that this acquisition may have brought us closer to answering the age old question of 'buy the book or buy the slab?'

If CGC and Blackstone weren't in the game to get a person to 'buy the slab' then we wouldn't see inflated grading of new pedigrees, nonsensical cut up  and outright defaced signature series books running around with 9.8s, etc.

I am a relative noob compared to most of you guys but it seems like there are a lot of new players in the comic market looking at books more to diversify their portfolio, rather than for their love of a particular character, title, etc.  Maybe y'all can answer who is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, and setting all these new sales records?  I bet many of them have never read a comic book.  Those kind of folks care about what is in the upper left of the slab and probably couldn't even explain what a color-breaking crease is and they don't care...

Blackstone et al. getting involved is the writing on the wall... they are only interested in growing the 'business' and could care less about the 'hobby.'  There is no way they will not raise fees, and even perhaps charge to use the forums as some have eluded to.  It's all about money or else they wouldn't have sunk any into this particular venture.

I hope this passes and the alarm sounded for nothing.  I really hope they can truly grow the business (decrease TATs, get quality/consistency back on track, etc.) while also not destroying the hobby and making it either impossible, or no fun to participate in any more.

2 minutes ago, path4play said:

Funny.  Fumiko got her comics back presumably thanks to the supreme court ruling ending the Japanese incarceration.  And folks here are complaining (I guess) the value of their collection is too high, and they can't buy more).

That’s called being priced out of the market. It’s a term that’s existed in real estate as well as other collectible fields for years so it’s nothing new.

I agree though that despite sticker shock on values these days anyone collecting in the cheaper periods should count themselves lucky for what they did get.

9 minutes ago, N e r V said:

So are you suggesting they might start charging sellers a fee to sell here?

If I am doing it... 

Perhaps one of the following: 

1. Either they are charged a fee for general access.
  2. Access to a certain area of the boards are for paid members only.
  3. They wipe away the for sale threads and go down the road of what is considered the cardinal sin of grading and create their own exchange like comic link where a percentage of the sale is captured by the owners. 

There is too much money changing hands these days to ignore. 

Edited by Buzzetta