• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on with Heritage's Ga grading department?
2 2

61 posts in this topic

I just had to return a book to Heritage for being way off grade, now I see today they have this book missing a corner from all pages listed as a VG-.

Whats going on here? Is it just the GA books or is it across all grades? I'm wondering if buying raw books at Heritage is still a good idea.

Anyone else been having issues recently?

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F2%2F0%2F24320779%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by OdinsSecrets

@OdinsSecrets There's a thread devoted to the fishy grading come out of Heritage, both certified and raw.  Rather than make you sift through the whole thing, there seem to be some odd things chalked up to "production defect".  And there are a few books with rat chews and torn off corners getting inappropriately high grades.  2c

1 hour ago, OdinsSecrets said:

I just had to return a book to heritage for being way off grade, now I see today they have this book missing a corner from all pages listed as a VG-?Whats going on here?

Yeah, looks like Heritage was right out of the ball park when they graded that copy of Subby 6 as being only a lowly VG- raw copy.  doh!

Maybe the lucky winner is going to be smart enough to ship it straight into CGC for grading and get a PROMISE from them of a much higher grade: :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-23-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1947-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7244-96085.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F1%2F1%2F24111285%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, OdinsSecrets said:

I just had to return a book to heritage for being way off grade, now I see today they have this book missing a corner from all pages listed as a VG-?Whats going on here? is it just the GA books or is it across all grades. I'm wondering if buying raw books at Heritage is still a good idea? Anyone else been having issues recently?

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F2%2F0%2F24320779%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

These flaws might actually qualify as production chews, but only grader Magoo would know for sure.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think Heritage should be commended for hiring all those poor souls selling pencils from building stoops and street corners, providing them with a trade grading and scanning collectible books.  Personally, this humanitarian side of the collectible’s business is quite noble and very heart warming, no matter what anyone else thinks. :foryou:

17 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Well, maybe they are simply reading the tea leaves and getting a head start with what's coming down the line in terms of the new ownership at CCG.  :devil:

I guess their raw grading has gone downhill. I've only bought two raw books from Heritage—neither recently—but those two were graded accurately. They must have had some personnel changes because the books shown in this thread aren't even close.

2 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I guess their raw grading has gone downhill. I've only bought two raw books from Heritage—neither recently—but those two were graded accurately. They must have had some personnel changes because the books shown in this thread aren't even close.

Yes I have bought a number of raw books from them in the past too that I thought were fairly graded. In the past couple years though I have had at least three issues on raw books and seeing some of the grades posted here I think something has definitely changed. Its a shame, since I like their website, auction format, and scans overall.

1 minute ago, OdinsSecrets said:

Yes I have bought a number of raw books from them in the past too that I thought were fairly graded. In the past couple years though I have had at least three issues on raw books and seeing some of the grades posted here I think something has definitely changed. Its a shame, since I like their website, auction format, and scans overall.

One thing that bugs me is that they never state the page quality of their raw books. For me, page quality is the most important thing, and eye appeal is second. The technical grade is a distant third.

As an EBay buyer, I have learned to “grade by the picture”. When I see books like these two, I just don’t bid. 

The pathetic part is you had to waste your time and probably pay the return postage.

I’m a little leery of either their slabbed books AND the ones they grade themselves...

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

As an EBay buyer, I have learned to “grade by the picture”. When I see books like these two, I just don’t bid. 

The pathetic part is you had to waste your time and probably pay the return postage.

I’m a little leery of either their slabbed books AND the ones they grade themselves...

Luckily they are still good about returns, didn't get any pushback on the one I just submitted and they sent me a shipping label.

I wouldn't have bought the book if I had held it in hand, but the issues were hard to spot from the scan on that particular book. The Submariner above I have steered clear of lol

1 hour ago, vheflin said:

This is a 4.5 in my book.

Am I incorrect?