• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on with Heritage's Ga grading department?
2 2

61 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

Probably the whole rodent family ... they may have even rented a movie. 

If they disclosed the rodent chew then the grade reflects their opinion of how that defect affects the grade. That's when we must decide if the price is worth it. I never had grades on my books when I did shows. When someone asked the grade, I told them I don't grade them I just price them. It cuts back a lot on the arguing. I had an early Marvel Mystery with a chew alot like that, it was priced around VG, but the rest of the book was at least a fine plus. Someone said it could only be a good so should be half the price. I told them I wished them well in their continuing search for a copy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... Heritage is usually pretty good about disclosing defects, but lately I mainly stick to slabs unless it comes from a handful of old school dealers. 

In many cases assigning a grade is just providing a reason for someone to argue pricing.  At least in person.  

I don't buy raw from HA frequently.  But my return rate with them on raws (3 returns out of ~ a dozen raw purchases) is relatively high.  First one was non-disclosure of a detached centerfold on a higher grade GA book that certainly brought the grade down.  They gave me a store credit on that one.  Second was page quality that was brittle pages on a higher grade SA book (i realize HA doesn't disclose PQ, but i think brittle pages is a major defect that requires disclosure regardless).  Last one, just a few months ago, was a claimed mid-grade FF 19 that was missing half of page that affects story & art.  The grader clearly didn't bother to look inside the comic s/he was grading.  So, yeah, i am always skeptical about HA's grading and pay close attention once i receive the raw book in case i have to return it. 

Edited by zosocane

20 hours ago, vheflin said:

The 1.21 gigawatt light box they use to photo the raws is shameful.

A brown paper bag will appear bone white with their setup.

Can’t agree more.  I think this is the worst scanning set up possible.  It was bad enough when the colors were boosted but no book looks like this when you take it out of the bubble wrap.

I bought raw copies from HA without any problems until they ceased to provide the scans of the back covers in few years ago.

I returned 4 out of 6 books. Those were great deals but the defects bummed out without the scans of the back covers.

Well I do have to give this thread a bump the Rangers 10 they have listed tonight I sent back this book after winning it last Feb the book came missing the TLHC, wasn't  even in the bottom of they mylar bag it was shipped that way to me I presume....I guess they found the corner (shrug)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/rangers-comics-10-fiction-house-1943-condition-fn-/a/122107-15483.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by goldenacase

On 10/31/2021 at 7:56 AM, goldenacase said:

.I guess they found the corner (shrug)

Looks like they just used the original image and didn’t rescan it.  Sucks for whoever wins it this time.

Maybe email them to see if they can have the lot withdrawn ?  It shouldn’t go till tomorrow night.

Edited by szav

On 10/31/2021 at 8:50 AM, goldenacase said:

Good idea I just emailed the person who issued me the refund, more than likely a mistake hope it gets pulled

Oh well, you tried.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/rangers-comics-10-fiction-house-1943-condition-fn-/a/122144-11701.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 7/6/2021 at 4:19 PM, JollyComics said:

I bought raw copies from HA without any problems until they ceased to provide the scans of the back covers in few years ago.

I returned 4 out of 6 books. Those were great deals but the defects bummed out without the scans of the back covers.

They didn't disclose severely rusty staples on a pulp I bought.  Don't trust them tbh.

On 11/2/2021 at 1:21 PM, JollyComics said:

:facepalm:   Those employees may earn in 6 figures.

I wonder how much the person who writes the copy for CLink's auction listings makes. The exuberance and enthusiasm in some of those listings is so over the top that I'm sometimes not sure whether the person is serious or is trying to be funny. (I have actually laughed out loud more than once while reading CLink listings.)

Edited by jimbo_7071