• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2021 at 11:36 AM, Glassman10 said:

How can you not love a comic where the hero fools the villain with a carboard cut out of himself? ( Thor and Loki in one of the early JIM) . while having more money from  waiting to sell the AF15 would be nice, it's crazy making to try to think that way. The really crazy stuff is newly minted "collectors" are trying to calculate value increase on stuff printed six months ago. Once you hit your '70's, gaining a broader perspective on where one has been is not a bad approach. 

I think you did an amazing job with your AF15 sale. Made the best decision you could have for you and your family in the moment. 

Sure, sooner or later it would be worth more, but that will likely always be true with a book like AF15.   

On 9/1/2021 at 2:23 PM, Mmehdy said:

The current Goldin auction of AF15 8.5 also accepts Bitcoin with a 1/2 of 1% fee, I think its about 450K now, it is their first auction as they also have a TOS 39 and Batman 1 8.0, it is about 20 top flight books

I'm having trouble looking up the CGC # for this book. Slab says: 105483001. I look it up on CGC site: nothing.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:47 AM, peewee22 said:

I kinda get the feeling many of the Bitcoins (assuming they are grabbing these huge books) know who Gwen Stacey is (was). Hmmm, maybe they do. I still cry when I read 121 & 122. I recall racing to the grocery and sitting quietly outside the store in March '73 and reading 121. I double checked to make sure no buddies were around to see me :cry:

That story freaked me out. I still remember reading at my grandmothers and could not believe what I was seeing/reading

On 9/2/2021 at 11:51 AM, KCOComics said:

I think you did an amazing job with your AF15 sale. Made the best decision you could have for you and your family in the moment. 

Sure, sooner or later it would be worth more, but that will likely always be true with a book like AF15.   

Bob Storms was the one who did the amazing job. Over the last 18 months or so, I've been paying a lot of attention as to how he positions the enormous variety of high quality comics he has consigned to him. I think just storing that many High Value books would give  me the willies. When he told me what he was going to ask for my AF 15, I nearly went through the floor in disbelief.  When we got the collection out to sell after it sat for close to 50 years, I actually thought that it might be worth $3K.  We certainly had offers to take all that stress off of our hands early on but persistent reaching out and listening led me ultimately to Storms.  God what an education I got from sitting with him for those two days going through this pile.  Maybe someday the JIM and such will have value but not as long as Loki falls for cardboard cutouts. 

On 9/2/2021 at 12:57 PM, Glassman10 said:

Bob Storms was the one who did the amazing job. Over the last 18 months or so, I've been paying a lot of attention as to how he positions the enormous variety of high quality comics he has consigned to him. I think just storing that many High Value books would give  me the willies. When he told me what he was going to ask for my AF 15, I nearly went through the floor in disbelief.  When we got the collection out to sell after it sat for close to 50 years, I actually thought that it might be worth $3K.  We certainly had offers to take all that stress off of our hands early on but persistent reaching out and listening led me ultimately to Storms.  God what an education I got from sitting with him for those two days going through this pile.  Maybe someday the JIM and such will have value but not as long as Loki falls for cardboard cutouts. 

If Bob Storms is so smart why can't he grow hair ?

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 9/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, NoMan said:

I'm having trouble looking up the CGC # for this book. Slab says: 105483001. I look it up on CGC site: nothing.

You’re missing a digit.  Serial numbers are 10 digits:  invoice# (7) plus book # (3) 

type in the whole # and it takes you to a secret list oh NP greshams stash of shills. 

or some no doubt believe. 

Edited by Aman619

On 9/2/2021 at 11:06 AM, Glassman10 said:

At the risk of sticking numbers out there, Bob Storms sold an AF15 for 55K in 2017 .  It was way outside the norm for the time.  It's price was not surpassed anytime in the interim for a 5.0 although I don't pay a lot of attention to that at this point. A lot of my point was that indeed, lower grades had been coming up in the same time period ( 3.5-4.5 ) but the 5.0, not so much. The other area of curiosity is the 6.0- 6.5 range.  No doubt the book is climbing and having one going at auction for 2.3 million  raises the perceived value on most any copy. I'll be really interested to see what the 5.0 does in the near future. 

I estimate my 5.0 is worth somewhere in the 75K+ range at this point if you extrapolate all sales above and below the grade ........  this is in the area of a 100% increase since your sale (if we all assume your's was a huge outlier sale at the time) , and that's a lot of movement in a few years

The book is just insane right now

On 9/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, fishbone said:

I estimate my 5.0 is worth somewhere in the 75K+ range at this point if you extrapolate all sales above and below the grade ........  this is in the area of a 100% increase since your sale (if we all assume your's was a huge outlier sale at the time) , and that's a lot of movement in a few years

The book is just insane right now

It was inevitable  I think.  I suppose it depends on how much time you have left. I plan to be buried with all my remotes when I cross the river styx. Extra batteries are in the final with  instructions. You just can't assume anything.  I very recently came into a  mint 79 Mazda RX7 that has been garaged since 1982.  Really Sweet. It gives me a lot more pleasure than reading a comic at this point.  I suspect that's heresy.  I could take the JIM's with me. If you have the coin, apparently the boats man has the space. 

Edited by Glassman10

On 9/2/2021 at 6:32 PM, Glassman10 said:

I very recently came into a  mint 79 Mazda RX7 that has been garaged since 1982. 

Now if this is the metallic gold version with the back seats (albeit small):cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu