• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a collection?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2021 at 5:15 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Hmm.  Personally, I feel that you need to have at least 2 items to make it a “collection”.  

Now, as far as one item automatically being an “investment” over a “collection”, I don’t agree with that.  I have several books in my collection that are the only issue from a given series that I own.  One item alone doesn’t necessarily make it an investment.  I only have one copy of Starslayer 2 9.8, but I wouldn’t call it an investment.  I’m not betting that the Rocketeer is going to buy me a car one day.  I have the book because the character is one of my favorites.  That one book is, a part of my collection.

I guess it boils down to what you think a collection is.  Which is different for everyone.

I didn't mean every one issue "collection" is an investment.  I used that word because it is FF48, and at that grade worth a car or two.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:40 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I don’t know much at all about the registry in general.  I don’t participate in it.  But, are you saying you have a complete, slabbed run of FF?  Minus the 1 and 5?  That is quite the accomplishment and you should be proud.

Yeah.  100 regular books, slabbed and 7 annuals, also slabbed.  Its the gem of my collection.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes I have near 450 slabs over all, I just now surpassed a person with 1 IH 181 in cgc 9.8

My collection isnt more complete or better, but I can sympathize with OP.  

That said I wonder if this FF 48 9.8 is the only book they own like my example of the 181, or is it their only book in that set?

Its completely sympathetic, cgc does their part by offering threads for points adjustments to registry points assigned.  Their criteria for those adjustments could be argued, but again, cgc has their formula for points in the entire registry that they have to "stick to"

Its amazing that IH 181 or FF in 9.8 value and or rarity and other criteria translates so harshly in "sets!"

The registry is made to be COMPETITIVE!

No, the registry is made to appeal to people’s egos and make more money for CGC.

On 8/28/2021 at 12:23 AM, Stephen Gordon said:

Am I being a jerk?

I have a FF collection (Lee/Kirby run)  that CGC lists as 98% complete.  I'm missing FF1 and FF5. It is my pride and joy it represents 50 years of collecting.  I'm not a millionaire so the grades are all over the place. I'm ranked at 67th in points..

Now this is what bugs...

There a "collection" a couple spots ahead of me that contains ONE COMIC.  It is a beauty, FF48, 9.8. But is that a collection?  Its an investment. Its a fabulous book. But its ONE COMIC.

How is that a collection?  I think that unless you have... say 10% you don't have a collection, and it shouldn't be listed as such.

I agree 100%
One book is not a collection 

collection

[kəˈlekSH(ə)n]
Learn to pronounce
NOUN
  1. the action or process of collecting someone or something.
    "the collection of maple sap" · 
    • a regular removal of mail for dispatch or of trash for disposal.
      "withdrawal of the Sunday collections"
    • an instance of collecting money in a church service or for a charitable cause.
      "when she died, they took up a collection for her burial"
      synonyms:
      donations · contributions · gifts · subscription(s) · alms
  2. a group of things or people.
    "a rambling collection of houses"
    synonyms:
    group · crowd · body · company · troupe · assembly · assemblage · gathering · 

On 8/27/2021 at 7:23 PM, Stephen Gordon said:

Am I being a jerk?

I have a FF collection (Lee/Kirby run)  that CGC lists as 98% complete.  I'm missing FF1 and FF5. It is my pride and joy it represents 50 years of collecting.  I'm not a millionaire so the grades are all over the place. I'm ranked at 67th in points..

Now this is what bugs...

There a "collection" a couple spots ahead of me that contains ONE COMIC.  It is a beauty, FF48, 9.8. But is that a collection?  Its an investment. Its a fabulous book. But its ONE COMIC.

How is that a collection?  I think that unless you have... say 10% you don't have a collection, and it shouldn't be listed as such.

I don't think you are being a jerk.

I DO think you are defining a collection by your standards. 

If someone is just chasing first appearances then their collection is of Marvel 1st appearances.   I have an X-Men 1 and I have no desire nor intention to pick up any of the others.  But I also have an AF15, ST110 and a bunch of others because I collect ASM and Marvel 1st Appearances. 

In my registry set I have another book that is the only entry of it's category because while I do not collect that title, I like collecting EC covers that appeal to me. 

I know someone that only has 1 comic book.  They actually do have a Hulk 181 because they like Wolverine.  They also have Wolverine statues, action figures and original art. 

A collection is defined by the person collecting and what their particular interest is. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:13 AM, shadroch said:

Speaking of the Registry, I find it interesting that I  have sold all but two of my Avengers and got three request for transfers. It seems like most buyers aren't interested in it.

Most buyers have no idea it exists. 

On 8/28/2021 at 7:57 PM, Buzzetta said:

I don't think you are being a jerk.

I DO think you are defining a collection by your standards. 

If someone is just chasing first appearances then their collection is of Marvel 1st appearances.   I have an X-Men 1 and I have no desire nor intention to pick up any of the others.  But I also have an AF15, ST110 and a bunch of others because I collect ASM and Marvel 1st Appearances. 

In my registry set I have another book that is the only entry of it's category because while I do not collect that title, I like collecting EC covers that appeal to me. 

I know someone that only has 1 comic book.  They actually do have a Hulk 181 because they like Wolverine.  They also have Wolverine statues, action figures and original art. 

A collection is defined by the person collecting and what their particular interest is. 

Yeah.  I can see that, good point. 

I watched The Toys That Made Us, Star Wars episode and a curator there had the best description of what I think a collector is. 

A collection is an extension of yourself. It’s a way to show the world who you are. 

Can a collection be 1 item?

Can 1 item be an extension of yourself?

I say yes it can, but the reasons of why people own things are not created equally. 

We are talking about collector, not investors or speculators. 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, Ken Aldred said:

accumulation

this is a key word...not to the OPs point however, but back in the day I read in Arts & Antiques magazine to try and have a collection and not just an accumulation. That has been my guiding thought for 35 years or so.

to the OPs point, forget the Registry and/or don't be so literal. They want you to upgrade and spend spend spend...your registry can be ranked even higher if you just upgrade! If it does matter to you, gotta step up your game I guess!

good luck!