• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm leaving ebay as a seller...where should I go for better protection?
3 3

62 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2021 at 3:58 PM, djzombi said:

Ditto, which caused me to withdraw from my dealings with MCS.  Without getting into a political debate, and keeping the answer as "yes" or "no" or as simple as possible, does anybody know if Conan shares Buddy's leanings?  I would feel better about resuming business with them if he does not - or at least, does to a much lesser degree.  

You can resume business. 

care to giv

On 9/3/2021 at 3:36 PM, thehumantorch said:

Both.  There are 11 graded books worth between $125 and $2k and 6 raw books worth $60 to $100.

care to give some examples of raw stuff, grade and realized price? I'm curious as sell through. 

I've used ShortBox for slabs and have been pretty happy with the results. They pay for the shipping and I like getting checks vs. paypal. 

On 9/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, Lpgk said:

care to giv

care to give some examples of raw stuff, grade and realized price? I'm curious as sell through. 

I've used ShortBox for slabs and have been pretty happy with the results. They pay for the shipping and I like getting checks vs. paypal. 

I'll start a thread soon.  

On 9/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, thehumantorch said:

I'll start a thread soon.  

Anxious to see it.  I have A LOT of SA to early modern good stuff that I will be selling off (finally) in the next few months.  MCS is a frontrunner for me.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:22 PM, Robot Man said:

I’ve been an eBay seller since 1998. I have watched the site go down hill for years. Issues, protection, high fees, theft, “managed payments”, taxes ect. Then there is PayPal  which is another issue.

I sell old toys, sports items, advertising and antiques as well as comics. Sadly, there is really no other good avenue for the other stuff. 

I sell VERY little anymore. A real shame.

As far as selling comics, MCS sounds like a good idea. Instagram might be good too. I hear all the cool kids are doing it. And there is always here on the boards. My favorite place to buy and sell comics. 

Now if someone can recommend a good place to sell Aurora monster kits, old political buttons, magazines, advertising tins, early baseball gloves ect. I would be grateful.. :roflmao:

I had all those monster models. Absolutely loved them.Phantom was probably my fave or the one on the spinning disc, wolf man? Those were great!

On 9/2/2021 at 8:47 PM, shadroch said:

I sell very little to MCS.  I consign to them and set my price. I'm not all that concerned about what they grade the book, as long as I get my price. A MCS VG will sell for more than most Ebay Fines.

:gossip: It's almost always nicer than an eBay fine. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Buddy and crew know the secret of giving someone a little more than they expect. 

On 9/3/2021 at 8:06 AM, Buckaroo19 said:

I just ordered some comics for the first time using Comic Connect which I am waiting to receive. Does anyone have thoughts on their practice as a buyer or seller? 

These books were both purchased raw from Comic Connect. The CMA was advertised as a 9.0, and the AITU was advertised as a 6.5. I sent back a Superior horror book that had obviously been overgraded even worse.

0902201351231.jpg

0902201401241.jpg

Do you have an eBay store and are you paying the fees for it?  I have been able to do dispute resolution with them just fine as a seller but I also pay the store fees.

The store fees more than pay for themselves by the way.  Especially when you sell a big key they are actually cheaper than some of the auction houses - no buyer’s premium etc.  

But if you need other options - I have consigned with Reece’s Rare Comics and sold on HA & Clink with good experiences.  I’ve used Shortboxed as a customer and they’re great too.  

On 9/4/2021 at 5:40 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

These books were both purchased raw from Comic Connect. The CMA was advertised as a 9.0, and the AITU was advertised as a 6.5. I sent back a Superior horror book that had obviously been overgraded even worse.

0902201351231.jpg

0902201401241.jpg

That CMA is GORGEOUS regardless!!

On 9/2/2021 at 5:22 PM, Robot Man said:

I’ve been an eBay seller since 1998. I have watched the site go down hill for years. Issues, protection, high fees, theft, “managed payments”, taxes ect. Then there is PayPal  which is another issue.

I sell old toys, sports items, advertising and antiques as well as comics. Sadly, there is really no other good avenue for the other stuff. 

I sell VERY little anymore. A real shame.

As far as selling comics, MCS sounds like a good idea. Instagram might be good too. I hear all the cool kids are doing it. And there is always here on the boards. My favorite place to buy and sell comics. 

Now if someone can recommend a good place to sell Aurora monster kits, old political buttons, magazines, advertising tins, early baseball gloves ect. I would be grateful.. :roflmao:

Unbuilt in sealed boxes can be sold to me. :banana:

On 9/2/2021 at 11:54 PM, Buzzetta said:

With a comic shop or dealer? 

No, as there are quite a few dealers that do not have physical brick and mortar locations and many comic shops that I would not consider dealers.

On 9/5/2021 at 2:12 PM, Ablation Steve said:

While we're on the subject of MCS, which I've now decided to go with for my selling needs, can someone tell me how to access "sold" listings? I want to see copies of my comics have been going for over there.

If you look up a book, you get their inventory.  If you are lucky, someone is selling a copy in an auction. If so, just click on the auction book and at that point you can look at all of MCS's sales on the book, in every grade.

If no book is currently being auctioned, you can search past auctions for a copy and do the same thing. 

There may be an easier way but that is how I do it.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:40 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

0902201351231.jpg

0902201401241.jpg

I think it's fair to say that your experience with Metro's/CC raw grading is normal.  If I were to buy raw from them I would assume the grade to be overstated by 2 grade points.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:12 PM, Ablation Steve said:

While we're on the subject of MCS, which I've now decided to go with for my selling needs, can someone tell me how to access "sold" listings? I want to see copies of my comics have been going for over there.

They provide that info to you after they receive, grade, and scan your comics. Shows all sales via their stock, set-price consignment, and auctions from at least 12 months back.