• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,153 posts in this topic

This is our second batch of books consigned to mycomicshop.  Arrived there about 3 weeks ago and have been listed for sale for 15 days.  Sales are not as robust as our first submission but I'm not surprised as I don't consider the overall quality of the books as high.  Generally we're selling a book every day or two and that's okay.

Edge of Spider-Verse (Mexican 2015 Marvel Mexico/Editorial Televisa) Marvel Especial Semanal 2B CGC 9.2 Restored
Eternals (1976 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.8
Eternals (1976 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.2
Fantasy Quarterly featuring Elfquest (1978) 1 CGC 9.6
GI Joe (1982 Marvel) 152 CGC 9.6
Incredible Hulk (1962 Marvel 1st Series) 181 CGC 4.0
Moon Knight (1980 1st Series) 1 CGC 9.6
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 41 CGC 9.4
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 41 CGC 9.2
Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) 180 CBCS 9.4
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (1954) 134 CGC 7.5
Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) 4 CGC 9.6
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1984) 7REP.2ND CGC 9.2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (1988) Canadian Edition 1 CGC 9.4 Canadian Price Variant
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 282 CGC 9.8
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 282 CGC 9.6
Usagi Yojimbo (1987 1st Series Fantagraphics) 1 CGC 9.8

Out for recasing:

Infinity Gauntlet (1991) 2 CGC 9.8 -damaged case
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (1988) Canadian Edition 1 CGC 9.8 - label did not indicate canadian edition

Sold, first sold at bottom and most recent sale at top:

Edge of Spider-verse 2 2nd print CGC 9.4
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 221 CGC 9.4
GI Joe (1982 Marvel) 21 CGC 9.2
Star Wars (1977 Marvel) 43 CGC 9.4
Spider-Gwen (2015 2nd Series) 1B CGC 9.8 Bradshaw Variant Cover
Thor God of Thunder (2012) 2A CGC 9.4
Thor God of Thunder (2012) 5A CGC 9.4
Venom Sinner Takes All (1995) 3 CGC 9.6

Sold awaiting payment:

Thor God of Thunder (2012) 6 CGC 9.6

On 5/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, GACollectibles said:

Called MCS today, got some new guy on the phone.  Seemed to be quite the Deadhead.**

**DISCLAIMER- No actual call was made to MCS and no Deadheads were harmed in the making of this post.

Does he have a touch of gray ? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I have been using MCS over the past year for consignment and been a buyer for past three years. I have sent in about 100 raws and 25 slabs. Here is my take on them and why I wont ever send them anymore raws but I will continue to buy from them

On raws that I bought from elsewhere and sent to them..they consistently grade lower than what I thought they would be..okay, they have stricter grading ..no big deal 

but 

I have sent them comics that I bought from them ...and in almost every case they graded them lower to much lower than the grade  I bought it at (from them, MCS)

On raws that I have bought and sent to CGC...all of them were graded higher by CGC..in some cases much higher (without press) (as in 6.5 to 9.2)

My last straw was sending them two restored comics that had previously had purple labels (only color touch on one and pieces added on another)..but MCS said they were both TRIMMED...so i had them sent back..I rechecked the comics..and I dont see how they said they were trimmed, every edge has the frayed look (the type of fraying that comes with wear and tear, not a splinter cut from scissors, etc)...you may be asking why i removed the slab anyway..they were old slabs and  at the time I listened to people saying purple labels were value killers...I will be sending them back to CGC for new purple labels maybe one day..if I decide to sell ( i have since changed my mind and want to keep them)

All in all, my experience with consigning my raws has been balanced with some of the raws I got from them (like a 9.4 New Mutants 98) that I sent to CGC and they graded a 9.8...and the 6.5 to 9.2 Xmen 129..so I am okay with it...and their policy with consigning slabs has been great for me. I just wont send them raws anymore. 

I have my theories on why the under-grading ..when you think about it, it makes good business sense when you consider their business model (consignments)

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 6/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I have been using MCS over the past year for consignment and been a buyer for past three years. I have sent in about 100 raws and 25 slabs. Here is my take on them and why I wont ever send them anymore raws but I will continue to buy from them

On raws that I bought from elsewhere and sent to them..they consistently grade lower than what I thought they would be..okay, they have stricter grading ..no big deal 

but 

I have sent them comics that I bought from them ...and in almost every case they graded them lower to much lower than the grade  I bought it at (from them, MCS)

On raws that I have bought and sent to CGC...all of them were graded higher by CGC..in some cases much higher (without press) (as in 6.5 to 9.2)

My last straw was sending them two restored comics that had previously had purple labels (only color touch on one and pieces added on another)..but MCS said they were both TRIMMED...so i had them sent back..I rechecked the comics..and I dont see how they said they were trimmed, every edge has the frayed look (the type of fraying that comes with wear and tear, not a splinter cut from scissors, etc)...you may be asking why i removed the slab anyway..they were old slabs and  at the time I listened to people saying purple labels were value killers...I will be sending them back to CGC for new purple labels maybe one day..if I decide to sell ( i have since changed my mind and want to keep them)

All in all, my experience with consigning my raws has been balanced with some of the raws I got from them (like a 9.4 New Mutants 98) that I sent to CGC and they graded a 9.8...and the 6.5 to 9.2 Xmen 129..so I am okay with it...and their policy with consigning slabs has been great for me. I just wont send them raws anymore. 

I have my theories on why the under-grading ..when you think about it, it makes good business sense when you consider their business model (consignments)

If they are under-grading consignments, how does that help their business model?

As you said, that's great for the buyer, but not only is the consignor potentially upset (as you were as a consignor), but MCS (in most cases) makes less money as a 6.X sells for less than an 8.X.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:09 PM, manetteska said:

If they are under-grading consignments, how does that help their business model?

As you said, that's great for the buyer, but not only is the consignor potentially upset (as you were as a consignor), but MCS (in most cases) makes less money as a 6.X sells for less than an 8.X.

Not if someone buys that raw, has it slabbed then sends it back to MCS for consignment (buyer and MCS wins and MCS doesn't have to worry about a customer being mad for over-grading)..which is what I have done on several occasions ...but I suppose that would only work if a lot of buyers do that..it was just a theory...probably not valid but ask yourself..will you ever see MCS grade a book a 9.8?

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 6/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, Ed Hanes said:

Not if someone buys that raw, has it slabbed then sends it back to MCS for consignment (buyer and MCS wins and MCS doesn't have to worry about a customer being mad for over-grading)..which is what I have done on several occasions ...but I suppose that would only work if a lot of buyers do that..it was just a theory...probably not valid but ask yourself..will you ever see MCS grade a book a 9.8?

Do you grade books 9.8?  Whats your return rate on raw 9.8s?

On 6/14/2022 at 3:47 PM, shadroch said:

Do you grade books 9.8?  Whats your return rate on raw 9.8s?

not sure what your point is

1. I wouldn't want to be a company responsible for having to process returns on a misgraded 9.8, especially on expensive comics (it's an extreme example and MCS is not gonna get many potential 9.8's from sellers..just using it to illustrate a point)  

2. A large market in comics is sending potential 9.8's to CGC ..it's fairly easy to grade a 9.8 or at least see a potential 9.8 ..so far I am 100 % on about 5 submissions to CGC in which I expected a 9.8, but I am sure if I sent in a lot more , I would be less lucky (in case your question wasn't rhetorical)

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 6/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, Ed Hanes said:

That only works if customers continue to consign raw books with MCS. 

You just said you’re not going to consign raws with them anymore. I’m not going to consign raws with them anymore for the same reason. 

Consigners are their customers too. The model you outlined above depends on bending their consigners over. Clearly that’s not sustainable. 

What has been people's experience with auction consignments? I have a backlog of slabs and not enough time to list them on my own. I have been trying to find a quick and reliable auction consigner. Curious how the sales compare on MCS to Ebay auctions. Also, what percentage does MCS take for auction sales?

The wages of sin is death, but after the consignment fee, it's more like a bad cold.

Hi everyone, great information in here, thanks so much for posting.  I'm in a similar spot, too many slabs that I had the intention of selling but no time.  

I'm also from Canada and was thinking of using MCS for consignments, so it was really helpful to find this.   @thehumantorch question for you -- who do you use to ship and do you have to pay customs to get your comics down to MyComicShop?  I've looked through shipping options and customs and the cost seems really high.  For example I have about 30-35 slabs to send down, bought a big box, and was quoted $400 to ship.  I didn't ship it and am looking for other options now.