• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 5:06 PM, speedcake said:

Mine are still in the "being processed" stage as well.  They have had the books since August 12th, I believe.

I was a little disappointed with the grading, but I know they are conservative and MCS will likely be able to get quite a bit more than anywhere else for the books (certainly more than I could myself) and they are doing all the work so I'm not complaining.  Just surprised by some of the grades, is all.

There is the rub. Everyone grades differently. Even the grading companies. But I would suggest they grade that way
to ensure their reputation doesn't take a hit because its the same reason I do it.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, workingdog said:

Yeah, Conan stated that back on 9/1.  Seems to me when Borock came on board, everything he brings in gets top priority.  And I never hear from or talk to Este anymore.  I always get her assistant Andrea

There's a "new" Este?!

On 9/9/2022 at 10:28 AM, workingdog said:

It's now 9/9 and my six slabs are STILL in the processing stage.  So essentially, come Monday (9/12), MCS will have had them for an entire month.  :censored:

Surprise, surprise.  Just received notice that 4 of my 6 slabs are now available for consignment.  The only thing puzzling is what happened with the remaining 2?  Well, something is better than nothing!

On 9/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, marmat said:

I sold a bunch of foreing comics at auction last week, stunned by the prices

Amazing spiderman 299 spanish, was not able to move it on here or ebay for $49, sold via Mcs for $165 

Asm 252, sold for $134, had it for three months on ebay for $89 with no takers

New submission on his way

Good to know! I have always been hesitant to consign foreign issues because MCS usually doesn't include the corresponding US issue number in the title. So I thought that would negatively impact search results - especially for non-auction listings. Looks like it's listed in the description for some now though. 

On 9/20/2022 at 10:04 AM, speedcake said:

So my first submission has been graded, listed for sale, and I've already received my first check. So I'm pretty happy with the whole process so far.  However, if there is a book or two that I'd possibly like to remove and have returned to me. Can I do this? If so, how?

Yes contact customer service or the consignment department 

https://www.mycomicshop.com/help

On 9/20/2022 at 9:04 AM, speedcake said:

So my first submission has been graded, listed for sale, and I've already received my first check. So I'm pretty happy with the whole process so far.  However, if there is a book or two that I'd possibly like to remove and have returned to me. Can I do this? If so, how?

I am sure it goes without saying, but there is a charge to have the book returned. I usually wait until I have a few to combine the shipping.

On 9/20/2022 at 12:25 PM, Black_Adam said:

I am sure it goes without saying, but there is a charge to have the book returned. I usually wait until I have a few to combine the shipping.

I thought that was the case, but I can't find where i saw it on the site.  I don't mind paying, but good point on waiting until there are a few to save some money.

Also, for those who have sold or sell regularly with them, how aggressively do you lower prices to get books moved?

On 9/20/2022 at 9:27 AM, speedcake said:

I thought that was the case, but I can't find where i saw it on the site.  I don't mind paying, but good point on waiting until there are a few to save some money.

Also, for those who have sold or sell regularly with them, how aggressively do you lower prices to get books moved?

If I think a key is priced where I want it I don't lower it. For non-keys I will drop it the minimum 5% to get it back on the new listing if I am anxious to move it.

Still trying to find the time to sort thru some CGC books I want to sell and drive down there and drop them off.   I haven't tried fixed pricing yet.. All I've done is auction.  Very pleased and they pay pretty fast compared to other auction houses.
Might take a bunch of raw books as well and see what happens in an auction and fixed price. 

On 9/20/2022 at 12:27 PM, speedcake said:

I have had to get very aggressive to move books. Even for nice, high grade X-Men. 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:27 AM, speedcake said:

I don't let most books sit for more than six months, and sell the majority in the first 60 days. 

Rather than ask for a return right now, why not price it at what you wanted. What do you have to lose?

On 9/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, dover said:

I have had to get very aggressive to move books. Even for nice, high grade X-Men. 

Yes, definitely tougher to sell right now.  I've done 3 rounds of price drops and each price drop seems to drag out one more sale and then crickets.  At this point I have 11 unsold of the 29 I sent in a few months ago.  I'll wait and hope the economy improves.

On 9/24/2022 at 12:39 PM, CheeseFrog said:

I’ve sent a handful of modern 9.8s over to try out their auction.  How has everyone’s experience been with the weekly auctions?

It can be hit or miss. I've been surprised and depressed. Elated and despondent. This week I'm trying a special Dan Parent 1:250 Archie's Special Valentine issue where he dates Taylor Swifty:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=57207211