• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2022 at 6:00 PM, CheeseFrog said:

Awesome- I sent 4 slabs over and will be in this next one starting Oct 3.  Good luck with your sale!

You too! Last week was a tale of 2 extremes: 1 book sold for far over GPA - perhaps a 80% increase over last sale while the other book went a little low. But it's so much safer and less labor intensive than eBay. It's two different worlds.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:49 PM, Nick Furious said:

Anyone pick anything up yet in the MCS Prime Auction...or have anything listed?  Day one down.  Here's the "Featured Items" for the rest of the week:

October Prime Auction (mycomicshop.com)

Bid on 3 items, was the "underbidder" on all three. Haven't won anything at MCS in a while. :frown:

I only had one book listed in the auction, which ended at an okay price. I'm not super happy or disappointed. However I was the underbidder on 5 other books, all of which went for 2-3x what I was expecting. Overall, so far hammer prices seem pretty strong.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:19 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

I guess the other bidders didn't get the memo that the comics market is crashing.

I don't follow the market on this book so maybe this is FMV or even low. I don't know. But I still found the result eye popping.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=56507255

On 10/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, Ryan. said:

I don't follow the market on this book so maybe this is FMV or even low. I don't know. But I still found the result eye popping.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=56507255

Ah! That one. I'd say that's about average or maybe a tad low or possibly average for Voldy. I haven't been following it for a while. I gave up on completing my Black Knight run when it blasted off due to MCU hype. I am a bit surprised it's still so high though since he made his debut in the Eternals a ways back, but maybe there's rumors about bigger stuff coming that I'm unaware of.

Interesting results. Definitely seem strong compared to how CLink finished up in the last week or so. I may move my fixed price books over to auction at some point. 

On 10/11/2022 at 11:16 AM, Ablation Steve said:

I know MCS checks this thread, so I figured I'd ask here. Will MCS be notating "newsstand" in the titles of books now that CGC has started differentiating them?

S

We already do for some books, generally keys or higher demand books where there's clear activity and demand and meaningful price difference. We don't intend to differentiate every single low value issue in our database that exists with direct and newsstand versions. To some degree it'll be a top-down process influenced by what CGC and GPA do.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:12 PM, Heronext said:

@mycomicshop

Hi MCS,

I recently consigned books to your site & noticed the new eBay tab.

How does it help your consignors to point potential customers to your competition?

Hope this has not been asked

Thanks

I think the fairest answer is that it both helps and hurts.

It helps, because potential buyers who are aware of this feature know they can comparison shop eBay while on MCS. And perhaps do so more efficiently than on eBay itself since our results are already grouped by title and the ones on eBay aren't, and have other stuff mixed in. That's useful, and if it leads to more people checking MCS, that's more people seeing your consignments.

But yes, in some circumstances you could say it hurts--I wouldn't say it's a positive for a consignor if you have a book consigned and there's a cheaper one available from eBay, provided the buyer trusts the grade (often not the case for eBay raws) or it's slabbed. I'm a believer in supply and demand making markets more efficient, and if somebody else has a comparable book priced cheaper than I do I'm not particularly bothered that the cheaper one is more likely to sell first.

Overall I think it draws more buyer activity to MCS which is good for us and our consignors, and it nudges listings in the direction of being priced to fair market value where they're more likely to sell.

Man, I was looking at that sweet George Perez original art page in the current auction that was sitting at ~$200 for a while, and I knew it wouldn't stay there, but now it's over $1,200 (which, probably still a bargain for a Perez original art page, and may go higher yet), and I'm way out.  

Which just means I'm never getting one.  Alas. 

All good though.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:54 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Ah! That one. I'd say that's about average or maybe a tad low or possibly average for Voldy. I haven't been following it for a while. I gave up on completing my Black Knight run when it blasted off due to MCU hype. I am a bit surprised it's still so high though since he made his debut in the Eternals a ways back, but maybe there's rumors about bigger stuff coming that I'm unaware of.

I just don't think there are that many of them (shrug)

On 10/12/2022 at 1:42 PM, mycomicshop said:

I think the fairest answer is that it both helps and hurts.

It helps, because potential buyers who are aware of this feature know they can comparison shop eBay while on MCS. And perhaps do so more efficiently than on eBay itself since our results are already grouped by title and the ones on eBay aren't, and have other stuff mixed in. That's useful, and if it leads to more people checking MCS, that's more people seeing your consignments.

But yes, in some circumstances you could say it hurts--I wouldn't say it's a positive for a consignor if you have a book consigned and there's a cheaper one available from eBay, provided the buyer trusts the grade (often not the case for eBay raws) or it's slabbed. I'm a believer in supply and demand making markets more efficient, and if somebody else has a comparable book priced cheaper than I do I'm not particularly bothered that the cheaper one is more likely to sell first.

Overall I think it draws more buyer activity to MCS which is good for us and our consignors, and it nudges listings in the direction of being priced to fair market value where they're more likely to sell.

This "enhancement" helps buyers comparison-shop and potentially sends their business elsewhere.  IMO this business loss outweighs any gains from drawing buyers to a "cool tool."  It hurts consignors - and gives them a reason to go to your competitors, too.

Filtering and categorizing eBay listings - just a long, unpoliced string of text - is a huge pain and ultimately futile.  Your crawl will inevitably exclude things that should be included and vice versa (I found a mistake in about 2 minutes).  As the sort of "sophisticated buyer" you are attempting to attract, I will always go straight to the source (eBay in this case) and wouldn't trust another site's version of it. I get MCS's interest in innovating, but I could send you 6 better ideas.

Edited by Heronext