• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

Auction bids are binding. Do not bid unless you intend to pay for the item if you are the winning bidder.

How do people not understand this?!?!?  This is the second week I've been notified of a gutless deadbeat winner who didn't pay up for one of my auction items!  :censored:

@mycomicshop

Conan, the notice says the winning bidder will be banned from participating in future auctions.  What's to stop these deadbeats from signing up using a different e-mail address and credit card number and continuing the cycle?

Edited by workingdog
Left out a word

On 12/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, workingdog said:

Auction bids are binding. Do not bid unless you intend to pay for the item if you are the winning bidder.

How do people not understand this?!?!?  This is the second week I've been notified of a gutless deadbeat winner who didn't pay up for one of my auction items!  :censored:

@mycomicshop

Conan, the notice says the winning bidder will be banned from participating in future auctions.  What's to stop these deadbeats from signing up using a different e-mail address and credit card number and continuing the cycle?

We do take steps to detect people attempting to get around a block by creating another account. There's no perfect answer. If you make the sign-up to bid/approval process restrictive enough to make it really hard for deadbeats to get back in, you also make it harder so that the much larger number of legitimate buyers become less likely to register and bid.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:29 AM, mycomicshop said:

We do take steps to detect people attempting to get around a block by creating another account. There's no perfect answer. If you make the sign-up to bid/approval process restrictive enough to make it really hard for deadbeats to get back in, you also make it harder so that the much larger number of legitimate buyers become less likely to register and bid.

Thank you, Conan, for the prompt reply.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:46 PM, the blob said:

it is always time

I haven’t been finding nearly as much quality drek in the cheap boxes as I was a few years ago. The price point of everything has been higher in the last couple of years.

Edited by Hamlet

Well, after 50-ish consignments/auctions, I’ve finally run into a deadbeat non-payer. It was actually a Best Offer consignment that I accepted and not an auction which I found surprising. I’m curious if it was an offer through eBay and not MCS directly. No hard feelings from me though, MCS is still a million billion times better than eBay.

@mycomicshop I see raw listings for double cover comics with a single grade. Would this grade be based on the outer cover or the cover in the best condition (usually the interior)? Grades for both covers and/or scans would be extremely helpful for potential buyers as double covers always seem to be priced (by consignors) at a premium.

On 12/23/2022 at 7:33 PM, Black_Adam said:

@mycomicshop I see raw listings for double cover comics with a single grade. Would this grade be based on the outer cover or the cover in the best condition (usually the interior)? Grades for both covers and/or scans would be extremely helpful for potential buyers as double covers always seem to be priced (by consignors) at a premium.

I have a question for you @Black_Adam

I tried to search mycomicshop for cgc double cover, to avoid the raw factor, but all that comes up is a list of comics starting with the letter "d" and I assume because of the word "double."

Is there something im missing? Even searches for Mark Jeweler are difficult, and I'm wondering if it is even possible?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

@mycomicshop

Hi Conan,

I just received a call from my bank and I was told a Stop Payment was put on my most recent consignment check.  Along with a $15 stop payment fee.  I immediately called Este and she transferred me to someone who handles these kinds of matters.  Come to find out, I'm not the only one this is happening to.  However, it shouldn't happen anymore moving forward.  So a check has been re-issued along with an additional $15 to reimburse me for the stop payment fee (thank you very much).

Said consignment check was a nice little chunk of change and to have it stopped out of the blue is a bit disconcerting.  May I ask what is going on with your bank?

Thank you.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:59 AM, workingdog said:

@mycomicshop

Hi Conan,

I just received a call from my bank and I was told a Stop Payment was put on my most recent consignment check.  Along with a $15 stop payment fee.  I immediately called Este and she transferred me to someone who handles these kinds of matters.  Come to find out, I'm not the only one this is happening to.  However, it shouldn't happen anymore moving forward.  So a check has been re-issued along with an additional $15 to reimburse me for the stop payment fee (thank you very much).

Said consignment check was a nice little chunk of change and to have it stopped out of the blue is a bit disconcerting.  May I ask what is going on with your bank?

Thank you.

It's a combination of two things:

One, we use a system from Chase called Positive Pay that's an anti-fraud measure because previously we've had problems with people trying to pass forged checks against our account. With Positive Pay, we report to Chase the details of each check we issue, so only checks we approve can proceed.

That by itself isn't a problem, but when we recently ordered a new batch of checks, somebody specified the wrong starting number for the new batch of checks. I'm not clear on the exact details, but that meant some of the new checks we received overlapped/interfered with older check numbers. As a result some of our checks issued between Nov 25 and Dec 22 were blocked by Positive Pay and didn't go through. Anything that was affected we've canceled and issued replacements.

On 12/30/2022 at 2:46 PM, mycomicshop said:

It's a combination of two things:

One, we use a system from Chase called Positive Pay that's an anti-fraud measure because previously we've had problems with people trying to pass forged checks against our account. With Positive Pay, we report to Chase the details of each check we issue, so only checks we approve can proceed.

That by itself isn't a problem, but when we recently ordered a new batch of checks, somebody specified the wrong starting number for the new batch of checks. I'm not clear on the exact details, but that meant some of the new checks we received overlapped/interfered with older check numbers. As a result some of our checks issued between Nov 25 and Dec 22 were blocked by Positive Pay and didn't go through. Anything that was affected we've canceled and issued replacements.

Thank you, Conan, for the prompt reply (thumbsu