• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, mycomicshop said:

We already do for some books, generally keys or higher demand books where there's clear activity and demand and meaningful price difference. We don't intend to differentiate every single low value issue in our database that exists with direct and newsstand versions. To some degree it'll be a top-down process influenced by what CGC and GPA do.

@mycomicshopThat's too bad. I know I have some stuff consigned with you right now that would have probably sold already if it had "newsstand" in the title. Others I've had to drop multiple times before someone noticed what it was.

Love it or hate it, I honestly think you (and your customers) will make more money if you start labeling them as such.

Edited by Ablation Steve

On 10/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, DHack4 said:

I won Fantastic Four 48 CGC 5.5. I feel like I got a decent price. Price out the door was under GPA average. Admittedly I'm still learning the ropes, but I'm happy with my overall experience.

You won't go wrong buying books like FF 48.

On 10/12/2022 at 5:15 PM, Heronext said:

I get MCS's interest in innovating, but I could send you 6 better ideas.

I'm sure Conan would welcome your suggestions.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:51 PM, evilskip said:

I listed two items into the current Prime auction after they sat in the fixed pricing area for weeks. They sold for more than my highest prices and what I lowered them for over the weeks. Screwy, but I like it.

I've had that happen several times.  Clearly the added exposure of being in the auction helps some books.  

On 10/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, Kramerica said:

I just don't think there are that many of them (shrug)

They're hard to find in the same way that similar Atlas books of the mid-late '50s are. There's not dozens available on ebay any given day, but they're not exactly scarce or rare. Before the MCU hype, #1 in low grade was a $300-$400 book all day long, for many, many years. Issues #2-5 could be had for about $100 a pop. The pricing was analogous to The Yellow Claw series from the same era. It was a niche book for folks who like that period of Atlas.

Because Marvel retconned the character into a relative of the modern Black Knight, as soon as Dane Whitman's MCU debut was imminent, the hype machine/FOMO took off. It's so ridiculous that even the completely unrelated Black Knight comic by Toby Press is being touted by some sellers as having to do with the MCU.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195326315551?hash=item2d7a5b0c1f:g:iDEAAOSw7HdjE1h~

We even had a seller here on the Boards pull the same schtick not long ago.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:43 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

They're hard to find in the same way that similar Atlas books of the mid-late '50s are. There's not dozens available on ebay any given day, but they're not exactly scarce or rare. Before the MCU hype, #1 in low grade was a $300-$400 book all day long, for many, many years. Issues #2-5 could be had for about $100 a pop. The pricing was analogous to The Yellow Claw series from the same era. It was a niche book for folks who like that period of Atlas.

Because Marvel retconned the character into a relative of the modern Black Knight, as soon as Dane Whitman's MCU debut was imminent, the hype machine/FOMO took off. It's so ridiculous that even the completely unrelated Black Knight comic by Toby Press is being touted by some sellers as having to do with the MCU.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195326315551?hash=item2d7a5b0c1f:g:iDEAAOSw7HdjE1h~

We even had a seller here on the Boards pull the same schtick not long ago.

Just wait until Disney buys out Toby Press and adds their characters to the MCU.  If it happens, you read it here first.

On 10/12/2022 at 3:15 PM, Ablation Steve said:

@mycomicshopThat's too bad. I know I have some stuff consigned with you right now that would have probably sold already if it had "newsstand" in the title. Others I've had to drop multiple times before someone noticed what it was.

Love it or hate it, I honestly think you (and your customers) will make more money if you start labeling them as such.

I see the benefit of a newsstand indicator for both MCS and buyers, but adding that property to comic books where applicable is no small feat. It requires a proper cost/benefit analysis. To put it into perspective, seeing that the online store is database driven, one or more table fields have to be introduced and queried for. Then the UI has to be updated to display the indicator where appropriate (eg. title in search results, on product page, etc.). Plus visitors might want to filter their search by 'newsstand' which means modifying the search functionality - a critical component business might be very hesitant to touch at all. Finally, assuming business doesn't test new development in production, then you add all the QA work that goes with it. MCS has to be sure all the time and money poured into the project is quantifiably worth it.

Edited by ComicsAndCode

On 10/17/2022 at 9:16 PM, ComicsAndCode said:

I see the benefit of a newsstand indicator for both MCS and buyers, but adding that property to comic books where applicable is no small feat. It requires a proper cost/benefit analysis. To put it into perspective, seeing that the online store is database driven, one or more table fields have to be introduced and queried for. Then the UI has to be updated to display the indicator where appropriate (eg. title in search results, on product page, etc.). Plus visitors might want to filter their search by 'newsletter' which means modifying the search functionality - a critical component business might be very hesitant to touch at all. Finally, assuming business doesn't test new development in production, then you add all the QA work that goes with it. MCS has to be sure all the time and money poured into the project is quantifiably worth it.

Absolutely understand, and I'm sure it's even more involved than I imagine it to be. But this isn't something that's going away, this is the way CGC's going to label from here on out (especially as people reholder). It might be niche collecting, but it's niche collecting that brings in higher-dollar books (in enough cases). If MCS adds these to their database once, they're done, because no new newsstands are ever coming out.

I just got some newsstands with the new CGC label back last week, and while I want to send them to MCS, I'll be putting them on eBay because I can put "newsstand" in the title and get double the price much more quickly. Currently on MCS, people have to choose each individual listing in order to see scans to determine newsstands, which can delay sales and cause sellers to drop the price.

I know MCS won't be affected by missing out on a 10% cut of my $500 books, but I can see the changes paying for themselves before long. And anything they can do to help me avoid eBay would be greatly appreciated!

On 10/18/2022 at 8:44 AM, Ablation Steve said:

Absolutely understand, and I'm sure it's even more involved than I imagine it to be. But this isn't something that's going away, this is the way CGC's going to label from here on out (especially as people reholder). It might be niche collecting, but it's niche collecting that brings in higher-dollar books (in enough cases). If MCS adds these to their database once, they're done, because no new newsstands are ever coming out.

I just got some newsstands with the new CGC label back last week, and while I want to send them to MCS, I'll be putting them on eBay because I can put "newsstand" in the title and get double the price much more quickly. Currently on MCS, people have to choose each individual listing in order to see scans to determine newsstands, which can delay sales and cause sellers to drop the price.

I know MCS won't be affected by missing out on a 10% cut of my $500 books, but I can see the changes paying for themselves before long. And anything they can do to help me avoid eBay would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah I can see how CGC recognizing newsstand could motivate MCS to get with the program (so to speak). Obviously I'm in no position to speak for them, but by experience I know that this sort of thing could take a while to rollout. 

On 10/22/2022 at 2:54 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Does MCS do trades?  

@mycomicshop

When you sell books to them, you have the option to get "paid" in trade credit (which has limited usage, I believe). Does that count?

On 10/22/2022 at 3:19 PM, ttfitz said:

When you sell books to them, you have the option to get "paid" in trade credit (which has limited usage, I believe). Does that count?

That works.  Thanks.  What's the quickest/best way to solicit an offer from MCS?  I have a book I'd like to see if they're interested in.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:42 PM, Techmate said:

I tried the text option last night when I was browsing their site and just had to have something.  Loved the idea of just shooting a text over.  No clue if they got it.   My passion for the book has waned since, but I'm still interested to see their offer.  :popcorn:

On 10/22/2022 at 6:39 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That works.  Thanks.  What's the quickest/best way to solicit an offer from MCS?  I have a book I'd like to see if they're interested in.

It's been a while since I've sold anything with them, but the link from Techmate is how I did it. I didn't have anything particularly pricey, though.