• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men # 1 Cover by Jim Lee
1 1

127 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2021 at 10:58 PM, igotnogame said:

Not that I'm in the market for it, but where was it posted it will be for sale?  I saw Jim's IG post showing it, but would have thought he would have said something.  Not criticizing, just curious.

Regardless, it's awesome to see.

The announcement is made on Torpedo’s Instagram. They are taking offers up until September 15. 

On 9/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, vodou said:

I still do.

well, I think he bought it closer to 1998, so I'd say day he lost money the first 10 years. If he sold it all now, maybe 4-6x his money? I'm not sure that's a good return compared to other things he could have bought in the late 90's that would be 20X now easily. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 9/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

well, I think he bought it closer to 1998, so I'd say day he lost money the first 10 years. If he sold it all now, maybe 4-6x his money? I'm not sure that's a good return compared to other things he could have bought in the late 90's that would be 20X now easily. 

You probably already know, so this is for everyone else - my comment wasn't about the future speculative aspect of ROI. It was about the art, at any price above salvage. I know that's super provocative sounding, but it's not intended to be. This stuff is for the kids that were ten years old in 1990, that just wasn't me. The long hard road of Cockrum 2nd run X-Men getting any respect in relation to Byrne or 1st run...that's me. I was the ten year old kid a decade earlier.

The new owner will ‘predictably’ separate these for 💰 in oh, IDK, ten years? Or they will be given the Michelangelo treatment and have a special house of worship built for them?

I appreciate them for what they are. This does seem like the time to sell them. Still ten years from now should they come up again they no doubt will blow past whatever they sell for now.

Remarkable times.

September 15...... :popcorn:

On 9/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, Michael Browning said:

They make one large cover, so I doubt they will ever be broken up. And, why would you only want ONE part of the entire cover?

Greed.

it’s disturbing but I see a thought process where an ‘investor’ rationalizes separation of the boards as commodities. I hope I’m wrong. These belong with a deep pocket fan boy.

Edited by grapeape