• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Board Error Messages and Outages
5 5

101 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2021 at 10:37 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol as I said in another thread, you're probably just happy it finally worked!

Still we need to get word of mouth going off the boards, or any friends to tell them, trying to read the forums not logged in is a slog. 

Than is if you don't get 502 errors :tonofbricks: 

unnamed.jpeg

On 10/21/2021 at 12:57 PM, JazzMan said:

I would suspect that those, like me, who had the boards bookmarked and went to the old address and saw that there was a 502 error, most will chalk it up to "the boards are down again"

Out of pure curiosity I went to the main cgc page and tried the "chat boards" link. 

@denaI think there should be a redirect to the new URL from the old one so members have a chance to change their bookmarks.  Otherwise they'll just get a 502 error.

yes if possible have a redirect.  Like many I've assumed boards were down for a while then decided alternative ways to connect. 

I'm guessing some who bought in my sales thread think I've ghosted them (or they themselves haven't re-connected). 

On 10/21/2021 at 1:11 PM, buttock said:

How in the living hell did you not think to notify people that there's a new URL for the boards.  

Exactly, I was like boards gone yesterday until I logged in from the main CGC site and it was a different url.  :frustrated:

On 10/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, whomerjay said:

yes if possible have a redirect.  Like many I've assumed boards were down for a while then decided alternative ways to connect. 

I'm guessing some who bought in my sales thread think I've ghosted them (or they themselves haven't re-connected). 

I noticed that earlier. 

Normally, companies would not notify users of a simple change in their subdomain or naming scheme. They'd have a technical vendor who would actually do this correctly and have all the necessary redirects in place before cutting over to the new naming scheme. (Beyond just replacing the HTML code and website URLs and assuming everyone just uses the navigation on the website to get around.)

It seems like they didn't anticipate people bookmarking the old chat board site URL directly for some reason.

On 10/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, sckao said:

Normally, companies would not notify users of a simple change in their subdomain or naming scheme. They'd have a technical vendor who would actually do this correctly and have all the necessary redirects in place before cutting over to the new naming scheme. (Beyond just replacing the HTML code and website URLs and assuming everyone just uses the navigation on the website to get around.)

It seems like they didn't anticipate people bookmarking the old chat board site URL directly for some reason.

After 20 years they didn't think people would expect things to remain the same?  I doubt most people are even using bookmarks, you just start typing "c..." in your browser and it autofills.  I mean talk about absolute incompetence.  Whoever they're using for web development should be fired.  

I haven't been able to get on in 2 days.  Refreshed my cache, deleted my history, rebooted my computer.  My default google chrome browser still doesn't work but managed to get on with microsoft edge.  This software suucks.

Edited by thehumantorch

On 10/21/2021 at 3:12 PM, thehumantorch said:

I haven't been able to get on in 2 days.  Refreshed my cache, deleted my history, rebooted my computer.  My default google chrome browser still doesn't work but managed to get on with microsoft edge.  This software suucks.

Works fine for me on Chrome..................

Just an observation, but the number of logged in users seems to be well down, the number of guest users seems massively down and the number of posts is clearly down. We just had a 12 minute spell with no posts - that's not normal for this time is it. The site is working well enough, but my sense is that we've lost half our audience since the update.

I try to be supportive of admin as I know how stretched they are. But we were promised immediate action if there were any post update problems and, well, we've not heard a peep have we. There's clearly something wrong, many users are expressing exasperation with the URL change, there are three or four threads talking about it and, as usual, no communication from CGC staff. It's starting to feel like just another shot in the foot in a long line of them. Just another self inflicted wound. How much longer should we bear with this stuff? Be honest, reader, has the thought occurred to you recently to knock visiting this place on the head? Is it fun, anymore, visiting here? When was the last time the site ran for more than a week without problems, blow ups and angst? It's rudderless, this place, and seems to be going nowhere. 

On 10/21/2021 at 3:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Just an observation, but the number of logged in users seems to be well down, the number of guest users seems massively down and the number of posts is clearly down. We just had a 12 minute spell with no posts - that's not normal for this time is it. The site is working well enough, but my sense is that we've lost half our audience since the update.

I try to be supportive of admin as I know how stretched they are. But we were promised immediate action if there were any post update problems and, well, we've not heard a peep have we. There's clearly something wrong, many users are expressing exasperation with the URL change, there are three or four threads talking about it and, as usual, no communication from CGC staff. It's starting to feel like just another shot in the foot in a long line of them. Just another self inflicted wound. How much longer should we bear with this stuff? Be honest, reader, has the thought occurred to you recently to knock visiting this place on the head? Is it fun, anymore, visiting here? When was the last time the site ran for more than a week without problems, blow ups and angst? It's rudderless, this place, and seems to be going nowhere. 

How many other guys haven't been able to get on?  Of my local boardie friends Kimik had no problem getting on and Piper and Artboy and myself couldn't for 2 days.  At this point I expect that not getting on is more likely than getting on.

Meanwhile CGC says nothing.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:22 PM, thehumantorch said:

How many other guys haven't been able to get on?  Of my local boardie friends Kimik had no problem getting on and Piper and Artboy and myself couldn't for 2 days.  At this point I expect that not getting on is more likely than getting on.

Meanwhile CGC says nothing.

What can you do. I notified Dena within two hours of the update that I thought the site location changing (URL) was likely going to stop people logging on, as they would all assume it was the update that was the reason for the error code. We have had 48 hour outages in the past so it would be entirely reasonable to make that assumption. And then you find out there's a new URL and you could have been online 24 hours earlier. People have missed sales threads, pms and have been unable to fulfil sales activities. 

Again, what can you do. I've tried everything to spread the word. I wish, just once, CGC staff would match the effort of some of the site members when it comes to communication. Don't promise immediate action if you can't deliver it. 

On 10/21/2021 at 10:37 PM, Randall Dowling said:

If I valued this community, I would post a large message banner for a week before letting users know when they were implementing a change and when they expected to be back up.  2c

I said the same in one of the threads covering this. A banner message is possible - they did one for the Journals migration. 

Bottom line, CGC staff may care passionately about this forum. They may open a vein when it doesn't work and gnash their teeth behind the scenes. But if they never tell us, never show it, and generally go out of their way to promote the exact polar opposite position - namely that they don't give one toss - what do they expect us all to think?

We're not mind readers.