This may be an unpopular opinion. CGC needs a submission freeze.
5 5

202 posts in this topic

I do not know if this is even appropriate to post, or even allowed.  I think CGC needs to follow PSA's lead from a few months  ago an freeze submissions.  I have a had good sized stack of books ready to be sent in,  that I intend to sell, but it make no sense given the lead times right now. Do others agree?  Would it even help?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Devil's advocate. What is the benefit for cgc shutting down? So people who want books slabbed now send their books to other companies with a portion of them never coming back again and possibly these other companies slabs selling for the same prices as cgc. The ones who are willing to wait, won't they just send in a huge stockpile of books and cgc will just be overwhelmed again? I can't think of any benefits of doing this for cgc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whine as much as you like but the reality is, until someone else creates a grading company with better ethics and quality, CGC is the only place to go for the best grades 

The competition is pathetic, and honestly, it's a shame, and the reason CGC gets away with its poor customer service and low quality website design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 10:57 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Devil's advocate. What is the benefit for cgc shutting down? So people who want books slabbed now send their books to other companies with a portion of them never coming back again and possibly these other companies slabs selling for the same prices as cgc. The ones who are willing to wait, won't they just send in a huge stockpile of books and cgc will just be overwhelmed again? I can't think of any benefits of doing this for cgc.

Unfortunately for the comic community, and very fortunate for CGC, they are viewed by most collectors as the industry leader when it comes to grading.  Yes there are others, but if you look at value added to a book as seen in the market, none of the others even come close.  I fully admit (which may be very short sighted of me), that I only have CGC slabs, and really only consider CGC slabs when looking for graded books. It seems clear that many consumers have the same sentiment. 

Edited by drotto
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 11:03 PM, MattTheDuck said:

So if you go to McDonald's, you don't pay until they hand you your meal?

Must not have a car either. Is it possible to get gas without paying first? Must be nice. Go to a concert or baseball game or movie and pay after the event. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 11:03 PM, MattTheDuck said:

So if you go to McDonald's, you don't pay until they hand you your meal?

Not a valid comparison.  McDonald's is not asking you to get in your car drive away and come back when they decide to call you at an undisclosed date and time.  You pay knowing you will get you food momentarily, and they fulfill that promise.  I suspect if you payed for McDonald's and you found yourself waiting for many hours for food, you would demand your money back, and leave. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the thing:  in our interactions with businesses, sometimes the process or outcomes are not what we would like.  Sometimes the reasons for this is that the business doesn't really give a "hoot" about doing things the "right" way.  Other times - most of the time - it's due to the fact that human beings are involved, and like it or not, many of them are just as flawed as we are.  I would encourage the OP and anyone else who is unhappy with this company, or any other company, to file a polite complaint stating your concerns and then take your business elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I don't think CGC should shut down, but I do think they have to address the bottle neck. Honestly, this has been going on for over a year and they've had sufficient time to improve TATs and the overall customer experience. 

I've got 14 books with them right now and I just try not to think about it. 

But from a business perspective, I don't see how shutting down makes sense.  Without fundamental changes to their operation, they wouldn't be eliminating the problems, only delaying them.   

Part of the problem (as I see it and I'm no expert) is, it's labor intensive work and difficult to streamline operations while maintaining rigorous grading standards. It's not like you can upgrade software and increase production ten fold. You need humans to carefully assess one book at a time. 

So the obvious answer is to hire more humans.  And while there needs to be training and qualifications, it does feel like cgc has had enough time to hire and sufficiently train people. I would have thought after a year of extraordinary demand, CGC could have meaningfully reduced TAT. 

I would like to see them stop the signature events until the bottleneck is cleared up.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 8:09 PM, drotto said:

Not a valid comparison.  McDonald's is not asking you to get in your car drive away and come back when they decide to call you at an undisclosed date and time.  You pay knowing you will get you food momentarily, and they fulfill that promise.  I suspect if you payed for McDonald's and you found yourself waiting for many hours for food, you would demand your money back, and leave. 

It most certainly is.  You're the one who brought up "only paying once services have been rendered" with no mention of any timelines or delays.  I don't allow weaseling out of what people said and meant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 9:14 PM, JollyComics said:

Hey I just said that about PSA in an hour ago.  I guessed that CGC is pushing themselves.

Been rumored they have expanded their operations, so growing pains are pretty much standard. 

There is no company on the planet that I'm aware of that would sabotage themselves out of making money 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Whine as much as you like but the reality is, until someone else creates a grading company with better ethics and quality, CGC is the only place to go for the best grades 

The competition is pathetic, and honestly, it's a shame, and the reason CGC gets away with its poor customer service and low quality website design.

This is all true. 

But CGC better be careful. Complacency leads to trouble. Market disruptors look for gaps and weaknesses in a given market and bring in innovations to alter those markets.   And complacent companies who can't adjust suffer greatly.  

CGC has a great product with huge demand. It's why we are all here chatting constantly. But if they continue to fail their customers, someone or something will take advantage of the gap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 9:18 PM, KCOComics said:

This is all true. 

But CGC better be careful. Complacency leads to trouble. Market disruptors look for gaps and weaknesses in a given market and bring in innovations to alter those markets.   And complacent companies who can't adjust suffer greatly.  

CGC has a great product with huge demand. It's why we are all here chatting constantly. But if they continue to fail their customers, someone or something will take advantage of the gap. 

Normally I'd agree, but let's be honest about CGCs competition 

They are deftly incompetent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5