• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Clear! Really?
5 5

210 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, MAR1979 said:

Last books I received back more than half the slabs had scuffing in nearly the same spot.  On most I was able to buff them out using Meguiar's PlastX on the others was only able to remove about 75% of the scuffing.

Those books utilized CGC's "new process". So while apparently (or allegedly) faster it appears applying damage to each slab is now officially part of the service.

I asked @Jennifer F.about all the scuffing a while back. Her response seemed to put the blame on the manufacturer - like they received them like that. Seems to indicate a "we paid for them, we're going to use them" mentality on CGC's part. Still begs the question ... why is QC finding these slabs acceptable?

On 11/20/2021 at 6:25 AM, Randall Ries said:

Doctors and nurses are in the same boat. Budgetary cuts, social "restrictions" and administration interference simply makes the enterprise "not worth it" and many went to Wall Street to become traders. Money is better and there is less hassle, believe it or not. That is not a good sign.

As I said earlier, I would be a good teacher if they cared about being taught. That running around the room thing would not be good for me or the student. I would be frank with the parents. I would praise the student if they were doing well and be equally harsh when their little angel was a failure. I imagine most parents take exception at that. Perhaps it is the rare parent who would take frank criticism to heart concerning "Daddy's Little Pumpkin".

That would be me as well. I am brutally honest with people, and some just dont like it at all. If I were a teacher I would be fired in a heart beat. As an exterminator I get praised for it. " how's it looking " ma'am you have an extreme rodent problem because you are a hoarder with too much carp in your yard.😂

On 11/20/2021 at 11:09 AM, Gaard said:

I asked @Jennifer F.about all the scuffing a while back. Her response seemed to put the blame on the manufacturer - like they received them like that. Seems to indicate a "we paid for them, we're going to use them" mentality on CGC's part. Still begs the question ... why is QC finding these slabs acceptable?

She also said every single book goes through a QC check. 

On 11/20/2021 at 11:18 AM, oakman29 said:

That would be me as well. I am brutally honest with people, and some just dont like it at all. If I were a teacher I would be fired in a heart beat. As an exterminator I get praised for it. " how's it looking " ma'am you have an extreme rodent problem because you are a hoarder with too much carp in your yard.😂

Well if that is the case when did Rick Whitelock become your favorite dealer?

On 11/20/2021 at 8:34 AM, Shawn Everidge said:

What I want to know, ma'am, is how so many carp got in your yard. We're not anywhere near a body of water. :)

Then you get the "I never had rats before"

You have to laugh inside, because there are mountains of rat poop and generations of rats around. Then ( here's the funny part) they get mad at you because you cant get rid of them in a week.😂

Edited by oakman29

On 11/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, blazingbob said:

Well if that is the case when did Rick Whitelock become your favorite dealer?

I like Rick, and I like you. I haven't bought off Rick in ten years. However I have purchased or my wife I should say purchased off you not too long ago. Thank you for that by the way.

Edited by oakman29
I wish you would have steered her closer to the TMNT 1 1st print though

On 11/19/2021 at 8:30 PM, skypinkblu said:

So, if you want an image...you have to wait an extra 10 days? Which means 2 extra weeks? 

I've never had an image done, but I guess I'd rather see the books in person two weeks earlier.

:gossip: I think they are catching up...after all the time on the economy tier is down by at least 1 day...unfortunately it's still up 20 days from 2 years ago.

If you pay for high res images like I did for my magazine slabs, you will wait about two weeks from notification of shipping. I actually got them about 5 days after I physically received my shipment. They will arrive via email for easy download.

(Few people have scanners large enough to actually scan a full Magazine Slab in its entirety.)

They do. But the photos people take of their slabs tend to be bad as well due to reflections, refraction, light glare, or perspective warping. This just makes it easier to sell in my opinion, and the images are easily kept in the cloud.

CGC3910920-004_OBV.jpg CGC3910920-004_REV.jpg

Edited by sckao

On 11/16/2021 at 4:42 AM, oakman29 said:

I'm sorry CGC for your issues, as tough as they may seem. However you should have anticipated the issues in the first place. I love your message board, and the people who comprise it. 

I'm not a fan of your business practices. 

I'm inclined to agree however they are nowhere as bad as PSA.   PSA has given their non-large customers a right good fisting. To the point it's not the condition of the card that determines the grades but the specific submitting client as well reserving the top grades only for large clients in order to maintain census population percentages aka quota system. The quota system artificially prevents a census influx of bulk 10's for modern cards and 8's and 9's for vintage thus percentages of cards at each grade level remains same without needing much increased demand to maintain price levels.

The Price Levels their larger clients now want, did I mention PSA's parent company purchased an auction house earlier this year (Goldin) who of course submits cards to submits to PSA.  Supreme Conflict of Interest. 

So say what u want about CGC they have a long way to fall down to get to PSA's level of shenanigans.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, sckao said:

(Few people have scanners large enough to actually scan a full Magazine Slab in its entirety.)

I was one of them until 7 weeks ago.

Then I picked up a Plustek OpticPro A320E. I do not sell comics, at least up until this point in my life, but for inventory and insurance purposes it's great to have. Scanner runs around $500 but at least for me worth every cent.

Please note not all slab scans will be perfect. Seems to be slab by slab basis but what I've realized is 1st Gen CGC and 3rd Gen CGC slabs usually result in excellent scans. 2nd Gen slabs some light splashing is common, still the resulting scanned images still look decent to my eyes.  I've scanned 400 Comic and Magazine Slabs thus far, and only 2 images thus far that have been totally disappointing.

BTW: It works great on Original Art that measures 12"x18" or less.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/20/2021 at 3:20 PM, MAR1979 said:

I'm inclined to agree however they are nowhere as bad as PSA.   PSA has given their non-large customers a right good fisting. To the point it's not the condition of the card that determines the grades but the specific submitting client and well reserving the top grades only for large clients in order to maintain census population percentages aka quota system. The quota system prevents influx of bulk 10's for modern cards and 8's and 9's for vintage thus cards at that grade level without increased demand.

Not to mention the parent company buying an auction house (Goldin) which submits to PSA.  Supreme Conflict of Interest

So say what u want about CGC they have a long way to fall down to get to PSA's level of shenanigans.

"I'm sorry this ground chuck is not the steak you ordered but at least it's not cow manure."

On 11/18/2021 at 11:44 AM, F For Fake said:

I'm not into yellow labels at all, but I do have several signatures on raw books that I got strictly for sentimental value over the years, a memento of meeting someone that I admired. So, I don't really have a dog in the signature series hunt, but it seems INSANE to me that CGC keeps announcing these events when they are already drowning in submissions. I understand that a lot of folks like yellow labels, and I understand that CGC likes money. And I guess the signing events were one way to get some money into the hands of some creators, and CGC, during the time when live shows were mostly cancelled. But to just keep piling on new submissions when they already have such an unwieldy backlog, it seems positively unhinged, at least to me.

Like the movie Wall Street....

"It's all about bucks, kid.  The rest is conversation."

Edited by musicmeta

On 11/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, Galen130 said:

I agree in part, but why was there a back log???  So many ‘collectors’ out there sending in 100s of comics at a time in order to capitalize on the current inflated market?  LCS’s doing the same?  Granted, there are some that are grading and selling parts of their personal collection, like me, but people are still buying loads of new stuff coming out, then shipping them off right away.  Ask our friendly neighborhood pressers…those guys have been SLAMMED!!  I’d wager one of my slabs that they are seeing a lot of new ‘junk’ along with all the hotness comics.  This is just my opinion and personal conjecture.  It still doesn’t account for the -poor QA/QC.  I’m a victim of this myself.  I will no longer send in my personal collection comics, to anyone.  They’ll stay raw, or I’ll sell them raw.  I had a stack of over 50 ready to go, SA and MA.  I put them back in the long boxes.  The entire comic book industry is a broken toy to one degree or another, and I have better things to do…like posting nonsense on the boards!!! 🤣:banana:

Here endeth the rantrant

36172C46-E30B-475E-9439-2B1304064901.gif

Slammed is right. Once Covid/CGC price increase started my definition of a large order changed. 

On 11/21/2021 at 9:19 AM, joeypost said:

Slammed is right. Once Covid/CGC price increase started my definition of a large order changed. 

For sure…those were big factors as well.  I equate it to all the Robinhood trading nonsense that caused so many problems.  Same aspect, different markets…so to speak.  Ironic thing is, from my POV, comic submissions don’t seem to have slowed much.  Correct me if I’m wrong.  Of course, I stopped for good, but I’m probably in the minority.  I hate that I’m not sending @Tony S more business because he’s always treated me well, but pressing isn’t needed if I’m not submitting.  I don’t suffer fools and I have a low tolerance for B.S.  I’ll gripe about it for a bit, but then I’ll act on my griping.  I’ve got better things to do…LIKE GRIPE SOME MORE!!! 🤣🤣🤣

9AB800EA-E090-49FF-8166-17CC9DF3B1EE.jpeg