• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jan Heritage Auction putting up some nice artwork
4 4

412 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2022 at 11:59 PM, stinkininkin said:

I don't track Gil Kane art as closely as some other artists, but I'm thinking that Kane/Sinnott FF 143 cover at 150k is a new high water mark for non Spidey Kane art. Does that sound right?

Looking at Heritage, the X-Men #95 cover went for $155K in 2016, but apart from that I"m not aware of any higher non-Spidey Kane art.  Of course Giant-Size X-Men #1 would easily break that record if it went up for sale again.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:23 PM, Ted_L said:

Looking at Heritage, the X-Men #95 cover went for $155K in 2016, but apart from that I"m not aware of any higher non-Spidey Kane art.  Of course Giant-Size X-Men #1 would easily break that record if it went up for sale again.

You're right of course about those key Xmen books. I forgot about them and they would easily be top tier value examples. With first appearances all the rage these days, I'm guessing the @delekkerste cover for Tomb of Dracula #10 would be another coveted and extremely expensive Kane cover.

Edited by stinkininkin

On 1/16/2022 at 6:02 AM, Bronty said:

Very curious to hear your impressions about the 129 in person.   The pictures with Fishler left some questions in my mind as to the condition and whether it was vellum whether it was pasted together, etc.   Any comments?  

HOS 92 is a beauty but I don’t see 3m on it.   Maybe I’m wrong but as of right now I’d take the under. 

Not being a OA collector or even having much interest in them, I would definitely not be the best person to ask about this.  :bigsmile:

All I know is that the HOS 92 cover was indeed a thing of beauty with just the artwork itself and no words or logos to detract from the image.  Being much more of a GA type of collector though, I was floored by the OA cover for 'Tec 28, but probably because I have always loved that cover and also certainly surprised to see such an early classic GA cover just surviving to this day.  :cloud9:

On 1/17/2022 at 7:54 AM, Timely said:

I’ve got 2 Kane Spidey covers. Neither are keys per se, but one is the 2nd appearance of Meteor Man and the other is the 2nd appearance of Xandu, both are Steve Ditko created characters!

47840950-930F-4A70-BF2F-906AC9A13EE3.jpeg

100AF260-F94F-47C4-A065-50F6BF83E257.jpeg

:applause: Two awesome covers.  As a kid, Gil Kane was the first artist I could recognize on site.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:52 AM, Timely said:

I own 2 consecutive pages from HOS 92. I wonder what they are worth these days? The 1st page is also the origin page!

43D3EDB5-A3C1-4AEC-898C-22C6922A4C3E.jpeg

I saw a similar page recently change hands in Seattle for mid $30k.  Another was offered at $60k but the buyer passed at that price.  Hopefully that helps ballpark.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:41 PM, stinkininkin said:

You're right of course about those key Xmen books. I forgot about them and they would easily be top tier value examples. With first appearances all the rage these days, I'm guessing the @delekkerste cover for Tomb of Dracula #10 would be another coveted and extremely expensive Kane cover.

No way.  This isn't worth much, and I have tried to graciously relieve him of this boat anchor in his collection.  :takeit:

On 1/17/2022 at 11:43 AM, Xatari said:

I saw a similar page recently change hands in Seattle for mid $30k.  Another was offered at $60k but the buyer passed at that price.  Hopefully that helps ballpark.

I would have thought more. Comic connect sold 2 pages 4 years ago from HOS 92 for $72,222 and $66,500… and 4 years ago in the OA market is a lifetime ago on sales prices. Happy I have them either way!

Edited by Timely

I both love and admire most of Gil Kane's work, and although he's not usually listed among the greats of the 70's Marvel artists, one can argue that for talent, productivity, and distinctive style, he's right up there. 

Love those MTU covers!  One of my favorite titles from my youth.

And if I had any money at the time, I would have bid on this cover as well that was auctioned off recently -- it's a beaut.

Gil Kane and Klaus Janson Giant-Size X-Men #2 Cover Original Art | Lot  #91015 | Heritage Auctions

On 1/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, Timely said:

I would have thought more. Comic connect sold 2 pages 4 years ago from HOS 92 for $72,222 and $66,500… and 4 years ago in the OA market is a lifetime ago on sales prices. Happy I have them either way!

Did those pages have Swamp Thing on them? I wonder if that perhaps was the difference. 

On 1/17/2022 at 1:13 PM, Drummy said:

I both love and admire most of Gil Kane's work, and although he's not usually listed among the greats of the 70's Marvel artists, one can argue that for talent, productivity, and distinctive style, he's right up there. 

Love those MTU covers!  One of my favorite titles from my youth.

And if I had any money at the time, I would have bid on this cover as well that was auctioned off recently -- it's a beaut.

Gil Kane and Klaus Janson Giant-Size X-Men #2 Cover Original Art | Lot  #91015 | Heritage Auctions

I remember when this was being offered up not too long ago on a dealer's website for what I thought was an outlandish price for a 70s X-Men cover not featuring the new team. Now, given how wild the market has become, that price doesn't seem so outlandish.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:22 AM, Xatari said:

Did those pages have Swamp Thing on them? I wonder if that perhaps was the difference. 

Just checked. As hypothesized, Swamp Thing on both. That’s most likely the difference for the price gap. 

On 1/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, Xatari said:

Just checked. As hypothesized, Swamp Thing on both. That’s most likely the difference for the price gap. 

One of mine has Swamp Thing on it in 2 panels.  The other one is the origin page where he’s being dragged into the swamp. I’m guessing those comicconnect pages are now worth 150k each. 

On 1/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, buyatari said:

Peter Porker Spider-Ham #1 ?

You know, I bet that piece wouldn't do too badly in this environment.

Over/under?

25k?  More, less?

I know that sounds crazy, but is it?   Maybe it is.   I can't tell anymore.   

Edited by Bronty