• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jan Heritage Auction putting up some nice artwork
4 4

412 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 2:54 PM, stinkininkin said:

The Secret Wars pages was about investment, right? Not about nostalgia or about the merit of Zeck as an artist (and I'm a Zeck fan!). This was about potential investment or moving one currency to another currency. Not what we all got into original art for in the first place. Right?

Yes, OA is the new hot thing for Chinese billionaires doing off-shore money laundering. Some might wonder why comic art verse traditional things like real-estate or fine art, but it makes sense once you realize this is the result of the cultural export and popularity of the MCU in the Chinese market. 

Over $3.3M is wildly beyond anything I would've predicted. It reminds me of Heritage's sale of that graded Super Mario 64 last year for $1.5M. The final prices are so far beyond market price that it makes me question the legitimacy of the sale. Setting a record sales price at 20%, 30%, or 50% over what's largely considered to be FMV seems plausible to me. But this sales price is so far beyond that. Ultimately, I do believe the sale is legitimate, but it's at such a wild level above FMV where I can't help but be a tad suspicious.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:49 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Yes, OA is the new hot thing for Chinese billionaires doing off-shore money laundering. Some might wonder why comic art verse traditional things like real-estate or fine art, but it makes sense once you realize this is the result of the cultural export and popularity of the MCU in the Chinese market. 

So in OA, six figures is the new five figures.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:52 PM, KingOfRulers said:

Over $3.3M is wildly beyond anything I would've predicted. It reminds me of Heritage's sale of that graded Super Mario 64 last year for $1.5M. The final prices are so far beyond market price that it makes me question the legitimacy of the sale. Setting a record sales price at 20%, 30%, or 50% over what's largely considered to be FMV seems plausible to me. But this sales price is so far beyond that. Ultimately, I do believe the sale is legitimate, but it's at such a wild level above FMV where I can't help but be a tad suspicious.

Right?  Nobody guessed this one within 3 million.  

On 1/13/2022 at 2:52 PM, KingOfRulers said:

makes me question the legitimacy of the sale.” 😢 

”Ultimately, I do believe the sale is legitimate.” 😆 

”I can’t help but be a tad suspicious.” 🤷‍♂️ 

You've got me twisted homie 😂 

I know I'm probably the one one who cares about this, but I think the X-Men #107 cover was a record high for Cockrum art at 360K!  I would have loved to own that, but I'll have to be satisfied with my pages from that issue.

On the plus side, I picked up a cool page for less than $100 yesterday in the Heritage Weekly Auction, so not everything's unaffordable just yet.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I wish I was only paying 32% effective tax rate.  must be nice!!!

You in NY, NJ, or DC? For a VERY fair rate, I can easily cut your tax bill.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:53 PM, grapeape said:

I’ve been away for awhile fellas. Did something unusual happen today? 😆 

🍇🦍 

Must be a full moon, as a Zeck/Beatty Marvel page, NON-cover original art is valued as almost as much as a Frazetta 'Egyptian Queen' oil painting. wtf?? Goldin sniping?

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

So the question for me is does this crazy auction cause a stampede of people to sell their art causing a decline in the market due to supply or does it cause people to hold onto their art and create demand that vastly exceeds demand driving prices much higher?  Or something different, pigs fly, Hell freezes over, dogs and cats living together....just what does this mean?

On 1/13/2022 at 6:56 PM, Superhero said:

So the question for me is does this crazy auction cause a stampede of people to sell their art causing a decline in the market due to supply or does it cause people to hold onto their art and create demand that vastly exceeds demand driving prices much higher?  Or something different, pigs fly, Hell freezes over, dogs and cats living together....just what does this mean?

It means most Spider-Man art and Zeck art just went up!

On 1/13/2022 at 7:56 PM, Superhero said:

I think peeps will initially bring out some big guns seeing this insanity…next year or two will be fun.