• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jan Heritage Auction putting up some nice artwork
4 4

412 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2022 at 4:51 AM, tth2 said:
On 1/15/2022 at 11:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, from what I heard, I believe the Disney MCU movies are now pretty much banned from the Chinese market.  (shrug)

lol That has never stopped any western film from being watched in China.

You better be careful here as HK is now officially part of China which means Xi can come in on a whim and confiscate your entire vintage collectible comic book collection.  :fear:lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/16/2022 at 10:24 AM, zhamlau said:

See I thought the 18k bid on an interior AA page was a very strong price.

Magik in a bikini. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if that was the reason. Mostly full team on the page as well. 

But a few years ago, pages were going up 7-10k range and selling easily. Looking at where the pages ended this auction, doesn’t seem like they’ve inflated nearly how other stuff has. 

On 1/15/2022 at 4:24 PM, Timely said:

I was expecting the cover to sell in the $40k area, so $23k seemed like a $17k discount to me.

Any cover that Jim Lee even breathed on selling for $23K seems like a good deal in this market.

Did this auction represent a new trend for Kirby pricing across the low end? I buy mostly Kirby in the under $20K space and was surprised to see an average Kamandi page go for almost 10... FF 83 with Crystal and Medusa (that's it) for 12... a Sandman page for 8... one year ago these prices would have been 40-50% less. 

Edited by Race

On a positive note, I just won a page that I’ve wanted, from a book where I’ve seen other pages, on dealer websites, go for more than 1000-1500 more (I know all pages aren’t created equally, but I was prepared to spend $2,500 and got it for $1,500)

so there are still opportunities out there, but man it requires patience!

(probably didn’t hurt that it was late in the day on Sunday too…)

On 1/16/2022 at 3:23 PM, Bill C said:

WHOA!

Is this the Art Adams effect? (I think this issue was taken from an Adams story?) What If (Vol 2) #12 splash page by Valentino/De la Rosa with Asgardian X-men/New Mutants (and Loki with his back to camera) goes for 7.8K! I could be wrong but offhand I don't remember any Valentino art going for more than that specifically at public auction (private sales are a different matter).

Even the decent Valentino/Montano GOTG panel page that was bouncing around a few times over the last few years basically triples in price and goes for $900. Hey now.

The page had a lot going for it… but I was already surprised it jumped from 500ish to over 2K the day before lives. That it ended higher than some of the actual Adams pages boggles the mind. Congrats to the seller!

On 1/16/2022 at 5:23 PM, Bill C said:

WHOA!

Is this the Art Adams effect? (I think this issue was taken from an Adams story?) What If (Vol 2) #12 splash page by Valentino/De la Rosa with Asgardian X-men/New Mutants (and Loki with his back to camera) goes for 7.8K! I could be wrong but offhand I don't remember any Valentino art going for more than that specifically at public auction (private sales are a different matter).

Even the decent Valentino/Montano GOTG panel page that was bouncing around a few times over the last few years basically triples in price and goes for $900. Hey now.

I was the underbidder on that What If.  I loved that issue, and actually read it before the Adams story.  It's a great shot of everyone involved and would've been really nice to have, but I couldn't justify paying that much for a Valentino piece, even with the nostalgia involved.  

On 1/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, filmboyuk said:

Question for more experienced bidders - my maximum bid (pre-premium) is showing as being the same as the winning bid (pre-premium) and yet it says I've been outbid on the piece. What did I do wrong?

I am guessing that 2 of you put in that exact bid amount, in which case the person who entered it first wins.

Malvin

On 1/16/2022 at 5:19 PM, Race said:

Did this auction represent a new trend for Kirby pricing across the low end? I buy mostly Kirby in the under $20K space and was surprised to see an average Kamandi page go for almost 10... FF 83 with Crystal and Medusa (that's it) for 12... a Sandman page for 8... one year ago these prices would have been 40-50% less. 

I was wondering the same thing. 

May 2014 I paid $1613.25

image.png.5c8193630d8fee3cba46e43ea46d9ecc.png

November 2014 I paid $1,374.25.

image.png.0b353b66dd7f2a97f1d8668c04b8c830.png

What is that in todays market?  Full figured Superman, and a Kirby Signature.  Black Falcon (who has become a major player these days) in full costume, plus Steve Rogers?  

On 1/16/2022 at 11:44 PM, malvin said:

I am guessing that 2 of you put in that exact bid amount, in which case the person who entered it first wins.

Malvin

Thanks - my guess as well, but it seems to indicate a flaw in their system - which should be able to accept one bid and reject the other, rather than accepting both - which might then lead to confusion (I thought I'd won the auction, as I'd bid the winning amount, all a bit disappointing!)

On 1/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, AnkurJ said:

I thought the MCP Wolverine cover I consigned went very cheap. Heritage had estimated it at 20k. :tonofbricks:

If it was the Lightle cover then I agree that was a good deal.  I probably should have bid on it, but I've mostly been discouraged from bidding in the Signature Auctions due to the high fees and taxes.  Out of curiosity, did you ask them to provide estimates?  I've consigned with them multiple times and never gotten estimates (but I do provide my own rough estimates to them for insurance purposes).

On 1/16/2022 at 11:28 PM, Ted_L said:

If it was the Lightle cover then I agree that was a good deal.  I probably should have bid on it, but I've mostly been discouraged from bidding in the Signature Auctions due to the high fees and taxes.  Out of curiosity, did you ask them to provide estimates?  I've consigned with them multiple times and never gotten estimates (but I do provide my own rough estimates to them for insurance purposes).

Yup was the Lightle. I asked their estimate.