• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jan Heritage Auction putting up some nice artwork
4 4

412 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, Rick2you2 said:

One of the comments I have made here on several occasions is whether “the market” should really be considered now as a group of submarkets moving at different rates, and maybe directions. 

Totally agree with this. I feel this forum represents a subset of the comic art hobby as a whole.

There's a ton of art I know to have been sold that isn't even posted on CAF.

I decided to make a swing-for-the-fences internet bid in this past Heritage auction for an unpublished BA cover of a D-list knock-off barbarian character whose own comic barely made it to twelve issues. What it had going for it was that Joe Kubert was the artist. And it was cool.

I have a special OA fund, which I'd been saving money in for three years. Furthermore, I planned to payback what I'd need to borrow from my savings account by selling off a portion of my collectibles (not just comics), with a rough estimate of what I thought I'd be able to get for them.  So, I had a plan, and I didn't think I was bidding on a piece I couldn't really afford. 

I based my top bid on research, what other non-SA, non-superhero, and non-Sgt. Rock/Tarzan covers Kubert had done sold for in the past. 

I realized I was in trouble when an earlier lot, the cover for Kamandi 43 by Ernie Chan and only a remote Kirby connection, sold for $7200 with BP.  Kamandi! By Ernie Chan!

I ended up as the underbidder for the unpublished Claw the Unconquered #14 cover, which ultimately sold for $8,700 with BP. Did I mention I live in a state that also collects sales tax?

The thing is, I have a hard time believing that this is new money (crypto bros, whoever) driving up these prices. Why would they want some of this stuff?

I have an easier time believing the old guard has more money and seems to be experiencing some sort of irrational exuberance. 

I apologize for how this post probably sounds. I'm just venting my frustrations because the OA hobby seems to be getting further and further out of my financial reach every year. I know there's a lot of good art out there for under $8700, but we all know collectors like to go for stuff they have an emotional, nostalgic response to, and I'll admit that what pushes my buttons is expensive. I just didn't realize how expensive it was going to become.

Who pays $8100 with BP for a random Kirby Sandman page?!?

So, yeah, First World problems, these things happen, Kubert is expensive, sour grapes, etc. At least my wife breathed a sigh of relief when I didn't win!

Edited by MisterX

On 1/20/2022 at 5:31 PM, batman_fan said:

My big question is will prices actually go down at some point or will they follow the path they have in the past where they pause in the climb for some period in time before restarting their climb?  

It may depend on what you want to sell, combined with the question of whether the “posted” or “list price” is being radically undercut with lower prices, but only on the q-t, so the “market” doesn’t reflect a drop.

So long as there are Peanuts strips being reprinted, I wouldn’t worry about those. But, run-of-the-mill Silver Age? Yea.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:13 AM, RBerman said:

Quite so. It's very complicated and difficult to prognosticate. Daniel Kahneman won the Nobel Prize by showing how computer models of the stock market failed to mimic actual human behavior, because the computers were logical, and people are not.

Richard Thaler, not Kahneman. His main article about the subject is entitled "Does the Stock Market Overreact?". Kahneman won because of Prospect Theory and his experiments that laid the foundations for Behavioral Economics and Finance, but the work on stock market was pioneered by Thaler.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:47 PM, MisterX said:

The thing is, I have a hard time believing that this is new money (crypto bros, whoever) driving up these prices. Why would they want some of this stuff?

I have an easier time believing the old guard has more money and seems to be experiencing some sort of irrational exuberance. 

I apologize for how this post probably sounds. I'm just venting my frustrations because the OA hobby seems to be getting further and further out of my financial reach every year. I know there's a lot of good art out there for under $8700, but we all know collectors like to go for stuff they have an emotional, nostalgic response to, and I'll admit that what pushes my buttons is expensive. I just didn't realize how expensive it was going to become.

That's what I think. Obviously there's some new money.

But that only goes so far. Like you said, there's a lot of random stuff that nobody would buy no matter how much $ they had to waste without having some nostalgic tie to it.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:22 PM, Twanj said:

That's what I think. Obviously there's some new moneyut that only goes so far. Like you said, there's a lot of random stuff that nobody would buy no matter how much $ they had to waste without having some nostalgic tie to it.

we all know collectors like to go for stuff they have an emotional, nostalgic response to 

The value of every single collectible -- including every painting, statue, antique, relic, artifact, icon, what-have-you -- is based on some combination of emotions (of which nostalgia is one).   

You can be nostalgic for something that existed long before you.  What you're nostalgic about is when and how you experienced it.  Not about when it was made.

You can want something because you grew up hearing it was the greatest this or that.  Or just because you heard it was valuable and, gee, now that you're an adult you can that thing which seemed unattainable for you as a kid. 

You can want something you don't appreciate for anything but it's perceived value by others.  Their desire could be based on nostalgia, and you desire might be based solely on the entirely emotional desire to know that you are among the very few who can afford it and the only one who has it.

And I would define a collectible as anything you don't actually need to survive and be mentally healthy, such as shelter, food, transportation, recreation, education, healthcare, etc and/or anything which falls into those categories but is priced above its intrinsic value for any reason outside of improved function.    Even if it's a necessity but it's for other people and not for you, that's also based not on a physical need but an emotional one.  

I know people who scoff at folks spending time watching comic book movies, yet they sit in front of their TVs endlessly watching other people competing against one another over who can be the most adept at moving a ball around, or who can play fight better than the other.  I like those things, too, on occasion, and nowhere near as much as friends who obsess them just as much now as they (and I) did in grade school.  

We all harken back, from time to time, to the things we enjoyed as a child.   And those nostalgic feelings govern much of what we do as adults.  

Emotions are what we live for.  And, ultimately, however a person feeds theirs, so long as it's not a way that harms others, is no less or more than the way anybody else does. 

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

On 1/21/2022 at 12:26 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

And I would define a collectible as anything you don't actually need to survive and be mentally healthy, such as shelter, food, transportation, recreation, education, healthcare, etc and/or anything which falls into those categories but is priced above its intrinsic value for any reason outside of improved function. 

Pin on Sexy Tour

On 1/20/2022 at 8:06 PM, MisterX said:

Do you guys think FOMO is playing a part in rising prices?

Of course it is.  People have been used to a relatively steep but stable OA pricing curve, but for the key pieces they are jumping rapidly.  Pieces that were 150 jumped straight to 3-500K, and those that were the 500K pieces of last year seem to be jumping over 7 figures.  That's some serious FOMO incentive as the jump goes from barely attainable to unattainable, which is the most important jump gap for FOMO.  Get it now or settle for less tomorrow.  

On 1/21/2022 at 8:38 AM, heartened said:

Of course it is.  People have been used to a relatively steep but stable OA pricing curve, but for the key pieces they are jumping rapidly.  Pieces that were 150 jumped straight to 3-500K, and those that were the 500K pieces of last year seem to be jumping over 7 figures.  That's some serious FOMO incentive as the jump goes from barely attainable to unattainable, which is the most important jump gap for FOMO.  Get it now or settle for less tomorrow.  

But, that’s focused on top tier pieces. Most work sells for less than $5,000, perhaps less than $2,000. While some artists get hot, I don’t see that in the pieces which interest me. Worst case so far for me is around 50% in 2 years, but many increases barely move the needle.