• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I miss covers with substance
3 3

273 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2021 at 10:29 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Your opinion is not empirical fact. Just because it's shared by other older members here STILL doesn't make it fact. It's frankly a little bit disgusting the way some of you are coming down on younger members and people in general, generalising them as all the tired old tropes of greedy and self-centred, just for utilising the technology of the day, same as you did in yours with what was available. Newsflash: if you were their age today you'd be doing the SAME things. 

You really ARE being a grumpy old man out of touch with it all, and I hope you're not, but you're giving yourself a bad image here and now. Treat others fairly if you want the same treatment. 

I'm also dismayed at the current state of things, particularly Marvel, but it is what it is. Maybe I'm no longer the audience, and that's okay. I've still got decades of material to read whenever I want, and much more still to collect before I run out of 'my' comics. Maybe by the time I do comics will appeal to me again. Who knows? 

I deal with teens and find them to be generally smart, optimistic and alert.  I was mostly kidding with all my comments about the younger generation.

On 12/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, Poekaymon said:

Can't we all just get along?

-Gen Xer

One can hope for true understanding between the different tribes of comic nerds, one day.

I’m a boomer attempting to demonstrate an Age-inclusive mindset in the thread. I like my Moderns.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/5/2021 at 12:57 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I like Back to the future. I watched it last night.

greatest trilogy ever made.  star wars was close but they ruined it with the ewoks and kindly fat darth vader.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:00 AM, Off Panel said:

To my peers who swore off new comics because Marvel restarted Amazing Spider-man's numbering after issue 441 or DC retconned out a ton of history with The New 52 or Jane Foster got to be Thor for a while, I'm going to give it to you straight: you're missing out.

New 52 was the catalyst for my reducing my new comic purchases to first less in a year than I had been purchasing in a month, then later a week, then eventually near zero.  I had been losing interest for many years but continued to pick up new books out of habit or "muscle memory". After seeing the collective smug hubris displayed by Didio/Johns/Lee mainly geared at boasting their 2011 bonus from Time-Warner (New 52 began Sept 1 - right in time so it would be fresh for bonus season - those who work in large corporations know this...) I decided that was my exit point.  

Marvel too did annoy me in the 90's with the renumbering, then renumbering after renumbering, but I hung on although with diminished Marvel purchases. Had it not been for New 52 I would have collected new books another 9 years until July 2020 when my LCS, owned by a good friend, closed it's doors.   

Although New 52 for example spiked sales  in the scheme of things it was short-lived and ultimately cost far more buyers that they will ever get back.  Of course as mentioned it was primary a short-term bonus cash grab not expected to be anything more than a spike.

While those optimistic like to think there are new readers to replace lost readers, there are not.  If DC and Marvel had been concerned with maintaining existing buyers, new books sales would have tapered off a lot slower. Instead they catered to the few new incoming readers whilst hemorrhaging sales year to year.   Pretty much now Marvel and DC's only purposes for putting out new books is grist for Video endeavors.  What happens when the genre declines in Film, TV etc?

P.S. I will say the few newer books I've read are great if one is in a hurry. Anyone with 5th grade reading skills can polish one off about a minute or 2 due to lack of dialog and preponderance of splashes and double page spreads. There was always some dreck put out each month, but at least in modern times you don't have to waste 8-12 minutes to get through a single book :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/5/2021 at 4:10 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Well, brother. SHOW him a more self absorbed generation, then. Maybe have to go all the way back to the 1920's. They got a good spanking then in 1929, didn't they? What a pack of infants people are becoming.

Try this exercise: Go a whole day without using the word "I". It CAN be done. But it is nearly impossible. No saying "I", "Me", "Myself" anything to do with self. Try it. There are societies in the world who can do it. Not the American society, however. Take a closer look at social media. EVERYTHING is about "I" or "Me".

One would have to be blind in both eyes and deaf or in utter denial to be unable to see the dysfunction and self centeredness in today's society. Already, there is yet another push to lower scholastic test scores because the young are so illiterate if the scores remain what they are today, a great deal of them will fail. Look beyond social media and what passes for the news. Look at actual studies and essays being written by experts who can see what is happening.

We are considered fortunate if we don't walk outside and get shot for daring to look at someone sideways. That didn't used to be that way. We are in real trouble right now. But it is never a problem until we find ourselves in trouble. Believe me: If you were ever a victim of a real violent crime perpetrated against a family member, a senseless hate crime or act, you would not be quite so arrogant.

I've never seen people more entitled than boomers. The newest generation I find much more accepting of others and often much smarter than so-called adults. Your case isn't helped by implying kids need a good spanking these days. Please.

Edited by Shawn Everidge

On 12/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

I've never seen people more entitled than boomers. The newest generation I find much more accepting of others and often much smarter than so-called adults. Your case isn't helped by implying kids need a good spanking these days. Please.

yes accepting of things like rampant looting and riots.  Not an improvemet IMO.

This generation has been known to text during job interview, show up in cut offs.  I read abt one guy who didnt show up for interview, called week later to ask if he got the job.  This stuff would literally never happen when I was young and job seeking.