• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect Signature Placement
5 5

137 posts in this topic

Being an aficionado of Signature Series books I have looked over thousands in my quest to expand my collection.  One of my main criteria for either purchasing or dismissing a book is the placement of the sig.  I have seen some truly horrendous placements and will not list the names of the guilty, but I'm sure most of us know some of them.  In this thread I want to see the absolute perfectly placed signatures out there.  I'll leave the criteria up to you, but for me it means no covering of the artwork or on the flip of that, done in such a creative way that it becomes a part of the artwork.  Also the clearer the signature is, the better.

I'll kick it off with this recent acquisition:

Image 1 - Justice League Of America #45 CGC SS 9.8 David Mack

On 11/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, GACollectibles said:

The greatest signature placements are done by Neal Adams.  How do I know this?  He has told me repeatedly.

He does have a very tidy signature that he seems to be able to squeeze into unobtrusive spots on covers, hence avoiding covering up his wonderful work.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:16 PM, s-man said:

He does have a very tidy signature that he seems to be able to squeeze into unobtrusive spots on covers, hence avoiding covering up his wonderful work.

I will give him credit, he is very meticulous about sig placement.  I still like to bust his chops though.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, GACollectibles said:

I will give him credit, he is very meticulous about sig placement.  I still like to bust his chops though.

Be careful, he might go mad one day and deface a perfectly good cover!:goodvsevil:

On 12/4/2021 at 1:02 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I think Bill Sienkiewicz did a good job of placing this one . ( one I just got back today from the in house signing)

2021-12-03-0007.thumb.jpg.c2d5917d6397932e657777132a03417d.jpg

Great head sketch!

Here's another CGC SS (as usual, cropped out the slab in my archived scans -- prefer my slideshow that way).  Despite having 3 sigs plus remarks by all three, managed to minimize impact on artwork, especially the faces and Enterprise! 

1632903655_StarTrekYearFive(2019)1(CGC9.8SS)-croppedt.thumb.jpg.d7d71083da9d0190d52df164376c6239.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

On 12/4/2021 at 9:37 AM, Pantodude said:

Here's another CGC SS (as usual, cropped out the slab in my archived scans -- prefer my slideshow that way).  Despite having 3 sigs plus remarks by all three, managed to minimize impact on artwork, especially the faces and Enterprise! 

1632903655_StarTrekYearFive(2019)1(CGC9.8SS)-croppedt.thumb.jpg.d7d71083da9d0190d52df164376c6239.jpg

Very nice.  Its tough when you have multiple sigs to not make it look messy.