• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How, or why, did you start collecting comics? Here's my story....
4 4

57 posts in this topic

My first exposure was finding a cardboard carton in the cellar that belonged to my oldest brother (he was 10 years my senior). It contained a small selection of war comics and EC comics along the lines of Tales From The Crypt and Haunt of Fear. This was about 1954 which would put me somewhere around I was 4-5 years old. The war comics held little interest for me but the EC horror books fascinated me. I would go back to that carton and peruse those ECs time and again. I didn't get much out of the words but the pictures were very compelling! An interesting side effect was my having developed a recurring dream of the Old Witch cackling as she chased me up the cellar stairs. I feel this was a key moment for me as we shall discover.

When I was around 12 or 13 the Marvel Age was gearing up. I distinctly remember borrowing, in addition to Superboy comics, a comic about four scientists that went into space and came back with strange powers, and a book about a frail looking man (I actually remember his being named Donald)  who found a stick in a cave that, when struck it against the rock wall, turned him into a warrior and the stick into a large hammer. Obviously I know now these were FF1 and JIM 83. I started actually collecting around 1980 with my godson asking if I would collect comic books with him. Luckily we were a short distance from Million Year Picnic in Cambridge, MA. I basically followed his lead and picked up copies of the new releases he chose so we could discuss the stories etc. 

After a while he lost interest but I continued with the modern books for a year or so. I then ventured out to various comic shops in the Boston area (this is still early 1980s) of which there were many. I soon discovered The Outer Limits in Waltham (still run by Steve Higgins) where I got my first SA books (early Daredevils).  I clearly remember my first interaction with him. He had an X-Men 1 on the wall and there was a loose staple floating in the bottom of the bag. I pointed to the book and said "There's a loose staple in the X-Men 1". Steve thought I was being critical of the book's condition, shrugged and said something along the line of "Well that's how it is."  So I realized I sounded like I was complaining and clarified "No, I mean there is a loose staple floating around the the bag that might cause some scraping on the cover." He quickly and deftly removed the staple from the bag and thanked me. I did a lot of business with Steve and the other shops. I really started getting into the pre-Hero titles that had the heroes (post JIM 82, post TOS 38 etc) and stated getting into the various Marvel heroes. But I was also greatly enamored of the, often Ditko, backup stories that were like SF with a touch of social commentary. I remember discussing them with Steve and he pointed to a few short boxes under the back issues and said "Take a look in those."

Well, what greeted me was three short boxes of pre-code horror. As I was looking through them my interest really started to get piqued and I suddenly remembered that carton with the ECs in my childhood cellar. From there it was pre-code horror mixed with a few pre-hero Marvels before the heroes appeared. 

So that is a longish brief intro to MY intro to comic collecting.

I used to take guitar lessons on Saturdays.  When I was done, I'd have to wait for my Mom to pick me up, and while I waited there was a shop immediately next door that sold comics.  I'd go next door and read a few, but the owner would get cross and make me buy one so I could read the others.  After a time I realized I liked the stories and wanted to read the next issue so I started buying some, and then I discovered that a nearby Thrift Shop had back issues of my primary interest, and so I started buying back issues as well, but then High School and girls took over, and that was the end of my collecting until much much later.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:51 PM, universal soldier said:

There were a few moments in my life that really defined the comic collector I am now. I've always been a voracious reader. Anytime we went to a department store when I was a kid, if I disappeared, my mom knew she would simply need to find the book section and there I would be. 

When I was 5, I fell and broke a previously fractured arm that had a bone cyst in it. Initially it was diagnosed at the age of 2+ but my arm needed to grow and develop so they held off until I officially broke it.  Anyways, I remember a boy in a neighboring bed at Children's Hospital in Boston had lost a leg. He always had comic books and can recall being fascinated and wanting to read my own. At this age, my parents would only allow the cartoon books but you take what you can get.

Fast forward to around 9 years old at summer camp. One of the older kids had a suitcase full of older ASM. I specifically remember ASM #73 and wanting soooo bad to be able to read them. Being a little kid, they wanted nothing to do with me. This was the key point led me to really start buying books off the rack. We would go on camp trips to the Cape Cod mall and there was a grocery store that I would buy books off the spinner rack :cloud9:. For years after this, I would write (yes write) letters to a kid I collected with about what books we had bought recently. I can even recall picking up Iron Man 100 at Penn Station on a family trip and reading it multiple times on the train ride.

The third noteworthy part of my collecting story came around the age of 19/20. During high school I stopped collecting. I was more interested in the party and girls so comics got put on the back burner. I would still pick up the occasional comic but it was random. In college I met a great friend that is the owner of my current LCS. When he put the Perez run of the New Teen Titans in front of me, I was hooked again. I've been mostly non stop since 1985 with the exception of 88/89 -93 where I needed to choose paying rent over comics :whatthe:.

I had another memory come to mind. I wish I could remember the book but we (family) would go to the library on a regular basis. I had to have been around 8 or 9 but there was a book that chronicled the first appearance of everything from golden age to silver. I would read this over and over again. GA Green Lantern, WW, Flash Batman, Superman and all the silver age Marvel stories. Good lord I was hooked. :cloud9:

On 12/11/2021 at 11:11 PM, Mercury Man said:

7-11, Slurpee then comics rack.  If you know, then you know. 

Iron-Fist-11.jpg

hulk 191.jpg

invaders2.jpg

AzSn_168_91.jpg

Captain_America_Vol_1_197.jpg

That was the expected 'norm' growing up in Arizona.  What better way to deal with AZ summers than this??? lol (thumbsu