• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm going to end up on Hoarders if I'm not careful
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2021 at 5:04 PM, Hamlet said:

It’s like the Aquarium club I go to.  When I tell them I have 12 fish tanks, they respond with “why only 12?” 

:rulez: 

Rule 1 of Aquarium Club - Don’t talk about Aquarium Club!

Rule 2 of Aquarium Club - Don’t talk about Aquarium Club!

Rule 3 of Aquarium Club - Break Rule 1 or Rule 2 and you sleep with the fishes! 

Always been difficult not to get carried away buying too much from the comic show cheap boxes, which you could really live without.  Read once and squirrelled away, not really that economical.

I called it a day when I’d run out of space in one room, and dreaded the thought of eventually blocking the lounge with stack upon stack of comics and becoming a classic, extreme obsessive-compulsive hoarder, overwhelmed by newsprint.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The main difference between hoarders and collectors is curating the collection. Hoarders never get past the accumulation phase of collecting, it just builds and builds, gets neglected, and will decline in condition due to improper storage. 

So bag n board da hoard! 

On 12/9/2021 at 7:21 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

The main difference between hoarders and collectors is curating the collection. Hoarders never get past the accumulation phase of collecting, it just builds and builds, gets neglected, and will decline in condition due to improper storage. 

So bag n board da hoard! 

These are all bagged and boarded already, and the bags aren’t even completely disgusting. I will rebag anything that I want to keep in my more permanent collection, and put the rest in my overflow boxes.

Well, they actually have unbagged books that are even cheaper, but those are all newer books than I am interested in. I gravitate towards drek from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s.  I’m sure than I’m missing some flippable books buy not paying much attention to the newer areas of the market, but I just can’t get that interested.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:33 PM, Hamlet said:

For me, I’m mostly interested in breeding the fish.  I’ve bred about 15 different species of tropical fish so far.  

Sheesh. And they call me kinky..., :shiftyeyes:

On 12/9/2021 at 1:23 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hardly even see aquarium in doctors offices anymore, yet my dentist is holding on firm.

I think mostly gold fish, but as I've never had goldfish as a pet, I didnt know they got that big.

Is it more about the aquarium or the fish? Or just both? :x

Dentists know they can save on anesthetic if you've been lulled into a relaxed state by the fish.

I see the aquarium as somewhere I can throw up if my nerves overtake me in the waiting room.  

I hope that containing my collection to nearly-all HCs and TPBs keeps me from making such a mistake.

That being said, I seemingly cannot stop from finding and buying new collected editions. Maybe I need to stop perusing IST and lists of upcoming books being printed.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I hope that containing my collection to nearly-all HCs and TPBs keeps me from making such a mistake.

That being said, I seemingly cannot stop from finding and buying new collected editions. Maybe I need to stop perusing IST and lists of upcoming books being printed.

I confess I can't quite take to TPBs and collected HC works. It has to be newsprint for me. Is it the smell, yes and mainly the way the printing appears. But for the poster, I'd have to ask the question: if I didn't want it at $1 why do I suddenly want three for $1? Weeding out my non essential comics was one of the best things I ever did, (so long as you don't go too far.)  I can focus on what I have and, more importantly, find what I'm looking for! Resist!! 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 12/9/2021 at 9:38 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I confess I can't quite take to TPBs and collected HC works. It has to be newsprint for me. Is it the smell, yes and mainly the way the printing appears.

Some of the stuff that I have collected is printed on newsprint-type paper, rather than modern glossy.

Floppies are still king, IMO, but collected editions give me the ability to have full runs and stories without breaking the bank.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:38 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I confess I can't quite take to TPBs and collected HC works. It has to be newsprint for me. Is it the smell, yes and mainly the way the printing appears. But for the poster, I'd have to ask the question: if I didn't want it at $1 why do I suddenly want three for $1? Weeding out my non essential comics was one of the best things I ever did, (so long as you don't go too far.)  I can focus on what I have and, more importantly, find what I'm looking for! Resist!! 

They’ll become my dollar boxes when I do conventions in retirement. 

0DDEAAD3-8969-48D1-BB7F-3635953028C6.jpeg

I used to hoard. But I had back surgery a few years ago and as I've gotten older, the appeal of shuffling all those long boxes around has dwindled greatly. So, last year I downsized dramatically. I'm down to 2 short boxes of the books I love most and a lot of key issues. It was freeing in a way.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, Hamlet said:

I forgot the group that I was dealing with.  My wife thinks I’m a hoarder, you guys would look at my collection and ask where the rest of it is 😀

It’s like the Aquarium club I go to.  When I tell them I have 12 fish tanks, they respond with “why only 12?” 

I dunno bout dis aquarium club. Whole thing sounds a bit fishy, if ya know what I mean. 

Something interesting that occurred to me today as I was loading up on drek-

When I started collecting in 1985, Amazing Fantasy 15 seemed like an ancient book.  It was 23 years old.  The books I bought today ranged from the late 70s to mid-90s.  They are all older than AF15 was when I started collecting.  When I started collecting, cheap books were sold in a quarter box ( sometimes bagged, never boarded ).  I just bought these for a quarter — inflation adjusted, that is the equivalent of paying 10/$1 in 1985.  For bagged and boarded books that are more than 25 years old.  Someone lost a lot of money and wasted a lot of effort somewhere along the line before these books came to me. 

I’m under no illusions that these are a good buy from a financial standpoint-  these are all books that no one at the sale ( including me ) was willing to pay a dollar for.  But they are still kind of cool.  The early ones, with their 50 and 60 cent Marvel logos, remind me of why I started collecting.  The later ones, with their $1.00, 1.25, and up prices, reminded why I stopped buying comics in the early 90s 😀

I guess I’ve Been a hoarder for a while 😆 

2 rooms in the house are taken over as “comic rooms” 

1 for graded books, 1 for raw books (the grading/ scanning office now)

Then there is my sports collectibles/ game room.  Luckily my wife is understanding 😃

- I do have a lot of selling to do though when I retire to occupy some time. (per agreement with our retirement funding) which will be good. No hurry on my end, as I have only sold a few items in person with people I know. I’m not feeling pressured to get rid of anything at the moment, have the room and hopefully have time to not leave a headache for the family. 

On 12/9/2021 at 8:42 AM, Hamlet said:

These are all bagged and boarded already, and the bags aren’t even completely disgusting. I will rebag anything that I want to keep in my more permanent collection, and put the rest in my overflow boxes.

Well, they actually have unbagged books that are even cheaper, but those are all newer books than I am interested in. I gravitate towards drek from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s.  I’m sure than I’m missing some flippable books buy not paying much attention to the newer areas of the market, but I just can’t get that interested.

This place sounds like heaven.  
I would go early and spend my entire day - and bank account - there <3