• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading "invisible" comics?
10 10

264 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2022 at 3:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

They could have at least made them Sig Series :insane:

Yeah, imagine how much more money they would sell for if they were signed by "ghost" Stan Lee or "ghost" Jack Kirby! Oh, the signatures don't look real? What do expect from a ghost?  :facepalm:

Pay for grades, nothing else.  It cuts at CGC's credibility and reputation, and frankly makes them looks stupid and desperate.  Not to mention impartiality is right out the window, joke or not.  Those pointing to the hypocrisy of some of the Promise grades are correct, this is a serious strike two against a company we are supposed to be able to trust.  It doesn't make me angry, only disappointed but not too surprised.  Sigh.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:10 PM, Iceman399 said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/1627321034/

Yup they are real serial numbers

image.thumb.png.6bd4eb30cb51d6b1fcd16b929b5e6050.png

Yeah, this is a gimmick, but my main concern with this is the grade!  How the heck is this a 9.8?  I don't see a single spine tick, not a scratch, nothing at all!  This should be a 10 - Gem Mint or NG.  Who graded this one, Matt Nelson or Matt Murdock?!!:deadhorse:

On 1/4/2022 at 5:14 PM, JazzMan said:

Yeah, this is a gimmick, but my main concern with this is the grade!  How the heck is this a 9.8?  I don't see a single spine tick, not a scratch, nothing at all!  This should be a 10 - Gem Mint or NG.  Who graded this one, Matt Nelson or Matt Murdock?!!:deadhorse:

Then you'll have a real problem with the 0.5

I'm not sure if we should be shocked at the lack of response (cause that is their history in doing so).

Expanding Tat's in the past - Ignore the boards with no response as to cause or changes

Issues with SCS - Ignore the boards

Lack of inner wells - gives response contradictory to practices and poof all of a sudden it's back to "normal"

Creep Engine - These new cases are just fine you don't know what you are talking about

Newton Rings - Come on guys they really aren't that bad stop whining.

Quality Control - I mean it only took them like a year to even acknowledge there was issues and claim every book goes through a rigorous QC check lol 

Instead it's new signing announcement  :banana: 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:07 PM, Ares said:

Sorry.

You swapped out the 10.0 with a 3.5 so  no

Based on many examples I've seen from CGC that 3.5 could very well have been graded a 10  ;)

On 1/2/2022 at 8:07 AM, Sigur Ros said:
On 1/1/2022 at 9:20 PM, Iceman399 said:

Based on the grading date of Dec 2020 and the Blackstone deal not being until July of 2021 looks like this isn't their doing.

Blackstone owns the company and these books remain on the census.   They own this.

Unfortunate, because that squashes the hope a new owner would fix CGC's bad rep, not enable it.

I very much highly doubt that the Blackstone Group is even much aware of the daily goings on with CGC, less alone its intricate business details.(shrug)

Especially since the company is valued at something approaching $150B while the enntire CCG deal was worth only a tiny miniscule fraction of that at only $500M, with the overwhelming majority of that value apparently coming from the coin side of the business. :gossip: 

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will check into this.  CGC is closed tomorrow so, it's possible I won't have a statement until next week.  

Hey Mike;

So, what's the lowdown or latest on what you was able to find out from the powers that be on this little matter of interest here? hm

Of course, since it's a Friday ight does this mean we now will have to wait until Monday when their offices are opened back up again?  :frustrated:

Or are their TAT's on responses to questions even slower than their TAT's on grading books and we should expect an answer from them some time in the New Year of 2023?  :devil:  :taptaptap:  lol

Also Mike, would you be able to get someone to comment how a CGC .5 has NO Grader Notes available?
(spoiler alert - none of the issues have Grader's Notes)

From an outsider's perspective, how I'd spin this if I was a competitor, is that these grades were "Pay-To-Play".
Which in turn can call in to question the validity of other grades issued / received.

• CGC Cert #
  • Conceptual Funnies
  • Issue 1
  • Issue Date 12/20
  • Issue Year 2020
  • Publisher Bad Idea
  • Variant Invisible Edition
  • Grade 0.5
  • Grade Date 12/18/2020
  • Grade Category Modern Label Text *not an actual invisible comic
  • Art Comments Robert Venditti story / Tomas Giorello cover & art
  • Key Comments First dis-appearance in comics.
    Grader Notes Unavailable
Edited by Troy Division

On 1/7/2022 at 6:06 PM, lou_fine said:

I very much highly doubt that the Blackstone Group is even much aware of the daily goings on with CGC, less alone its intricate business details.(shrug)

Especially since the company is valued at something approaching $150B while the enntire CCG deal was worth only a tiny miniscule fraction of that at only $500M, with the overwhelming majority of that value apparently coming from the coin side of the business. :gossip: 

I would think that there is a CGC desk at Blackstone that is in at least daily contact with a counterpoint at CGC. These guys don't lay out hundreds of millions to acquire companies and then sit back and wait for the company's quarterly reports.