• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2022 at 11:46 AM, The Meta said:

Ah I see

Well its all her fault shes different 

Wow, what a moran I am to not have seen it. 

I will start hating her post haste

Dating. I meant dating

It's not solely her fault that Captain Marvel sucks. The writer(s) and director let us all down, too. She just says a lot of dumb stuff and presents herself as an elitist. Maybe she doesn't have a PR team, or her PR team is out of touch with reality.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:51 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's not solely her fault that Captain Marvel sucks. The writer(s) and director let us all down, too. She just says a lot of dumb stuff and presents herself as an elitist. Maybe she doesn't have a PR team, or her PR team is out of touch with reality.

I've only seen Captain Marvel in Endgame, and yeah she comes off as elite 

Which, to me, was appropriate to the character. Basically being stronger than Hulk and Thor, yeah a bit of self confidence is needed

As for her personal life, I've only seen her in a interview here and there, and I am totally unable to judge her as a human being from that.

Sure she isn't as aloof or open as a lot of celebrities, but I seriously can't say she has a stick up her backside 

See Tom Cruise has a PR team, and they still can't contain his crazy

There is an elitist, and quite frankly, an misinformed ahole

Russell Crowe, a man who assaulted someone with a telephone....

The list literally rolls on, and we haven't said a word about Robert Downey Jr

On 9/12/2022 at 11:54 AM, The Meta said:

I've only seen Captain Marvel in Endgame, and yeah she comes off as elite 

Which, to me, was appropriate to the character. Basically being stronger than Hulk and Thor, yeah a bit of self confidence is needed

As for her personal life, I've only seen her in a interview here and there, and I am totally unable to judge her as a human being from that.

Sure she isn't as aloof or open as a lot of celebrities, but I seriously can't say she has a stick up her backside 

Sorry, I meant that Brie Larson says dumb stuff and comes off as an elitist. My structure should have been better.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sorry, I meant that Brie Larson says dumb stuff and comes off as an elitist. My structure should have been better.

A lot of people say dumb stuff and appear to think their poop don't stink

On 9/12/2022 at 11:51 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I remember when I saw the ET Avengers interview with Larson, Hemsworth and Cheadle. I like her previous performances. So I assumed she was trying to play into a massively powerful character, and used it in the interview.

It came off kind of flippant and competing with her fellow actors. So that triggered people assuming she felt like the big act now. Including the 'do my own stunts' famous line.

Rogue needs to come to the MCU and steal Carol Danvers powers!

I liked Captain Marvel and look forward to The Marvels (Kamala Khan show was very fun and I also like Captain Marvel/Photon as a character as well as Teyonah Parris' portrayal and want to see that character power up to what she was in the comics), I have no strong feelings about Brie/Carol Danvers. I do think Brie gets too much hate but do think Rogue is the perfect answer here. They can even use Anna Paquin if they want, she would likely enjoy the flying, super strong invulnerable version of the character. Brie goes dark for a few movies and they can film a "wake-up" scene now and use it later if they want.

I still disagree with the hate Brie Larson got from a lot of folks on here for her performance.

Folks complained she was too arrogant, a "Mary Sue" or didn't have enough of a character arc - with growth and change.

To the last point - well, then you just weren't paying attention.

But to the first two points:

She was a U.S. Military pilot - and (along with her partner) one of the first women to hit that rank - the arrogance is deserved.

Perfect parallel: Phoenix in Top Gun: Maverick

Similarly arrogant, not much of an arc - because she was introduced as one of the "best of the best" and ultimately lived up to it, despite having to ditch her jet at one point due to bird strike.

Monica Barbaro played Phoenix in Top Gun: Maverick exactly as Brie Larson played Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel - yet Larson gets hate for her characterization.

To each their own, but Captain Marvel is one of the MCU movies I've liked the least.  I completely agree that the writers did her no favors - she comes off as snarky and arrogant from the very beginning, long before she's even met any other super-powered beings and for virtually the entire movie.  She's a bit too one-dimensional I feel.  Now, some of this is based on her character being a jet fighter pilot.  They are some of the most self-confident people imaginable.  But you can write (and play) self-confidence without being condescending, which Captain Marvel definitely failed to portray.  I was really disappointed in the ease with which Thanos bested her in Endgame.

In addition, the movie comes off as the "stepping stone" it's probably supposed to be to lead to Secret Invasion and the use of Skrulls elsewhere.  It reminds me of some episodes of serial TV shows where they are intended to just set up future action and not all that much really happens.

On 9/12/2022 at 12:59 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I still disagree with the hate Brie Larson got from a lot of folks on here for her performance.

Folks complained she was too arrogant, a "Mary Sue" or didn't have enough of a character arc - with growth and change.

To the last point - well, then you just weren't paying attention.

But to the first two points:

She was a U.S. Military pilot - and (along with her partner) one of the first women to hit that rank - the arrogance is deserved.

Perfect parallel: Phoenix in Top Gun: Maverick

Similarly arrogant, not much of an arc - because she was introduced as one of the "best of the best" and ultimately lived up to it, despite having to ditch her jet at one point due to bird strike.

Monica Barbaro played Phoenix in Top Gun: Maverick exactly as Brie Larson played Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel - yet Larson gets hate for her characterization.

Sure, but Phoenix was an outlier.  In both Top Gun movies, the pilots were cocky and arrogant with their equals only.  They don't run around being condescending to the mechanics or the men and women who fuel up the planes or their superior officers.  Almost all of them are likeable characters, whereas Captain Marvel is not played that way.  Which is also fine, if the intention was to portray her as this other-worldly being who is above mere humans, but she still could have used some humility.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, MattTheDuck said:

To each their own, but Captain Marvel is one of the MCU movies I've liked the least.  I completely agree that the writers did her no favors - she comes off as snarky and arrogant from the very beginning, long before she's even met any other super-powered beings and for virtually the entire movie.  She's a bit too one-dimensional I feel.  Now, some of this is based on her character being a jet fighter pilot.  They are some of the most self-confident people imaginable.  But you can write (and play) self-confidence without being condescending, which Captain Marvel definitely failed to portray.  I was really disappointed in the ease with which Thanos bested her in Endgame.

In addition, the movie comes off as the "stepping stone" it's probably supposed to be to lead to Secret Invasion and the use of Skrulls elsewhere.  It reminds me of some episodes of serial TV shows where they are intended to just set up future action and not all that much really happens.

I had such high hopes for my enjoying Captain Marvel. Especially since I liked Brie Larson's other performances.

I bet I watched this teaser more than 20 times, as the soundtrack and visuals got me so hyped.

Unfortunately, the movie itself missed the mark for me. :(

Well I said it a while ago but for me Captain Marvel is one of my favorite MCU films. I get so tired of the dark sometimes over-dramatic effluence that gets into much of the MCU. Now the first Avengers film was a refreshing take. Very funny, very cohesive and the best "team up" effort I've seen.

I think Brie Larson pulled of her character perfectly. Her interaction with Fury was perfect. Colson's loyalty to Fury was spot on, especially considering he was a rookie back then. I listened to Brie ("don't call her Gorgonzola! She'll flp the **** out!") Larson's entire speech about "40 something white male" reviewers" and the negatives are taken totally out of context and never show the later part of that speech. I've watched the entire interviews with other MCU actors and most of them which make the rounds on a LOT of youtube complainer channels are actually the same few, edited to actually change the interactions. The furor over her is inane, inaccurate and largely fabricated so the youtubers can monetize monetize monetize. After all, isn't monetization the name of the game?

Which is why I abstain from clicking on them, especially having inside information on how they are paid and how they (if informed) abuse the logarithm on new viewers and monthly subs

This of course is all on Google, who basically uses them as slave labor, so why correct something that doesn't hurt THEIR bottom line

I am optimistic that the YouTube era is going to phase out to people learning how to actually use their computers. 

I have had and may again, built a YouTube clone, and considering how simple and inexpensive it is, totally unsure how these egomaniacs haven't caught on

But, there is a feeling of satisfaction watching the exploiters being exploited, so theres that

On 9/12/2022 at 2:46 PM, The Meta said:

This of course is all on Google, who basically uses them as slave labor, so why correct something that doesn't hurt THEIR bottom line

You said a mouthful. Google has bsically ruined what used to be a great venue. And those ads (thank heavens for ad blockers), my least favorite is the one Youtube keeps pushing to get "ad free Youtube". Almost seems like a conflict of interests. Increase the frequency of ads while charging for the removal of them. Google finally got so invasive with that horrific update a few months back that I actually went from an android phone to an iphone. 

On 9/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, PovertyRow said:

Well I said it a while ago but for me Captain Marvel is one of my favorite MCU films. I get so tired of the dark sometimes over-dramatic effluence that gets into much of the MCU. Now the first Avengers film was a refreshing take. Very funny, very cohesive and the best "team up" effort I've seen.

I think Brie Larson pulled of her character perfectly. Her interaction with Fury was perfect. Colson's loyalty to Fury was spot on, especially considering he was a rookie back then. I listened to Brie ("don't call her Gorgonzola! She'll flp the **** out!") Larson's entire speech about "40 something white male" reviewers" and the negatives are taken totally out of context and never show the later part of that speech. I've watched the entire interviews with other MCU actors and most of them which make the rounds on a LOT of youtube complainer channels are actually the same few, edited to actually change the interactions. The furor over her is inane, inaccurate and largely fabricated so the youtubers can monetize monetize monetize. After all, isn't monetization the name of the game?

Entertainment Tonight is an actual industry reporting source: not just some Youtuber.

Brie Larson claiming in her interview she did all her own stunts and then took offense when Hemsworth questioned that was interesting. Until it came out she had two stunt doubles. Where at? MTV Movie Awards, with Brie Larson presenting them to the audience.

Claiming it was just Youtubers attempting to monetize then goes the other direction - dismissing reality.

On 9/12/2022 at 3:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

Claiming it was just Youtubers attempting to monetize then goes the other direction - dismissing reality.

I never claimed it was "just youtubers". I was TALKING ABOUT youtubers. Big difference. BTW - do some searches about "How does Don Cheadle feel about Brie Larson" and similar. Try to wade though the The whole thing is blown totally out of proportion. 

Now I do not understand: it is a negative that she said she did all her own stunts. Is it a negative she would bring her stunt doubles on stage and introduce them to everyone??? She has explained the stunt double thing but of course people ignore that or discard it. Many in the Avengers cast have actually come to her defense but again people do not want to hear that. 

As far as ET goes, they are a CBS video tabloid who don't do what they do for free. After all, they ARE a business first and foremost. 

But as they say: "haters gonna hate".  

I can't post it here due to NSFW language but folks should also check out the Between Two Ferns with Brie Larson bloopers. Makes her seem a bit more human. :hi:

Edited by PovertyRow
forgot to wave :(

On 9/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, PovertyRow said:

I never claimed it was "just youtubers". I was TALKING ABOUT youtubers. Big difference. BTW - do some searches about "How does Don Cheadle feel about Brie Larson" and similar. Try to wade though the The whole thing is blown totally out of proportion. 

Now I do not understand: it is a negative that she said she did all her own stunts. Is it a negative she would bring her stunt doubles on stage and introduce them to everyone??? She has explained the stunt double thing but of course people ignore that or discard it. Many in the Avengers cast have actually come to her defense but again people do not want to hear that. 

As far as ET goes, they are a CBS video tabloid who don't do what they do for free. After all, they ARE a business first and foremost. 

But as they say: "haters gonna hate".  

I can't post it here due to NSFW language but folks should also check out the Between Two Ferns with Brie Larson bloopers. Makes her seem a bit more human.

I think you missed the posts where I have noted a number of time how much I like Brie Larson. NOT in this Captain Marvel movie. And certainly not how she dismissed her stunt doubles, and then had to publicly bring them out to recognize them. Why say you do all your own stunts and then have to admit later there actually were two (2) stunt doubles?

There is no hater here. But pretending anyone posting disappointment with Brie Larson's Captain Marvel performance or how she has conducted herself in related interviews is 'just a hater' would be someone walking around blind to reality.