• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I've seen Captain Marvel over a dozen times. I didn't need rose colored Marvel goggles to enjoy it. I liked the buddy road trip aspect of the movie and found it to be a nice breath of fresh air and a distraction from the very depressing and melancholy Avengers Infinity War and its aftermath. I thought the plot was tightly told in three acts and I appreciated that it didn't deviate too far into a side story or long action scene as a lot of of MCU films had been doing. I thought the dialogue was clever enough and humorous in the right parts. I thought Brie Larson (who won an Oscar for Best Acting as a reminder) was charming in the role. In comparison, I actually thought ScarJo was a little wooden in Black Widow. I thought Brie was very natural in Captain Marvel and played the part in a very naturalistic way (although I understand directing and shot editing choices have a lot to do with what appears on screen). 

I didn't go into Captain Marvel determined to love the movie. I don't work that way. In comparison, I didn't care for Ant-Man and the Wasp that much. I liked it, didn't love it. I was ready to be objective about Captain Marvel as well going into it, and was relieved that when it was over, that I genuinely loved the movie.

Well at the very least your posts are amusing.

BTW I never said Brie couldn't act, I said in THIS movie she could have been replaced by a plank of wood and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Her winning some hollyweird self appreciation award does not factor into this at all.

On 1/6/2022 at 5:07 PM, Finhead said:

Well at the very least your posts are amusing.

BTW I never said Brie couldn't act, I said in THIS movie she could have been replaced by a plank of wood and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Her winning some hollyweird self appreciation award does not factor into this at all.

I liked her in Scott Pilgram.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, ▫️ said:

The problem with making these definitive statements (like Black Widow will save the theater industry) is that they come back on you and CapraArchipelago will call you out on it. Not me, I’m the good cop. Then you have to back-pedal with “I was wrong about Black Widow but… (wall of text follows that Mexico has to pay for).”

I mean its fine to be fanatical on a character, no one here is hating on the character of Captain Marvel, just her lukewarm first film. I love girl power movies like Mad Max Fury Road but Brie didn’t bring it like Charlize. 

I don't come up with this stuff on my own. Movie theaters across America were counting on Black Widow to pull them out of the dumps as the summer winded down. They were counting on Black Widow saving the U.S. movie theater industry. That's on record. They didn't account for the Delta variant surge or that a Disney+ Premium Access option would ruin those dreams. As for Captain Marvel, it's Kevin Feige who stated years ago that soon Captain Marvel would be at the forefront of the entire MCU. Now, I honestly thought he meant Endgame which was wrong. But we're starting to see elements in Phase Four pointing in the direction that will indeed put Captain Marvel at the forefront. One of her best friends, Nick Fury, is a chief ally of the Skrulls. Her other best friend Maria Rambeau founded SWORD, the new SHIELD. When Wong seeks advice on the nature of the Ten Rings, he calls on Bruce Banner and Carol Danvers. Other than Dr Strange, who else is there? It seems to me that Captain Marvel is indeed about to be thrust to the head of the MCU class.

The logic poured into this diversity debate is wasted on an archaic notion. Equity has displaced diversity. As a notion, equity resists easy definition or quantification, broadens or narrows to suit a given circumstance, and deals in primal emotional power. It's much more formidable for mansplainers to counter with their logical appeals.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:10 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

WW84 made made $166 million worldwide. The movie was nearly universally derided and Wonder Woman probably lost a lot of fans and street cred with general audiences. The character also rapes an innocent man whose identity is stolen by her dead boyfriend.

I watched a very different cut than you did.  Was this the European version or something?  

Asking for a friend.  :shiftyeyes:

On 1/6/2022 at 10:43 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I watched a very different cut than you did.  Was this the European version or something?  

Asking for a friend.  :shiftyeyes:

I watched the HBO Max cut where Diana wishes for her dead boyfriend Steve to come back from Hell and he does or rather he possesses the body of some poor bloke who has no choice in the matter whereupon Diana gets down and dirty with the body of the poor unconsenting man which is possessed by said dead boyfriend, which under the laws of the District of Columbia I believe amounts to rape. 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:09 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I watched the HBO Max cut where Diana wishes for her dead boyfriend Steve to come back from Hell and he does or rather he possesses the body of some poor bloke who has no choice in the matter whereupon Diana gets down and dirty with the body of the poor unconsenting man which is possessed by said dead boyfriend, which under the laws of the District of Columbia I believe amounts to rape. 

Yeah, that poor guy!

On 1/6/2022 at 11:11 PM, Larryw7 said:

Yeah, that poor guy!

What if the guy was gay or had sworn a vow of celibacy? Doesn't matter if he was the straightest dude on Earth and had posters of Wonder Woman all over his bathroom. He had no choice in the act. What Diana did in WW84 was selfish and wrong, plain and simple. She could learn a few pointers about self-sacrifice from Carol Danvers.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:09 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

On 1/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

What if the guy was gay or had sworn a vow of celibacy? Doesn't matter if he was the straightest dude on Earth and had posters of Wonder Woman all over his bathroom. He had no choice in the act. What Diana did in WW84 was selfish and wrong, plain and simple. She could learn a few pointers about self-sacrifice from Carol Danvers.

Respectfully, I think that's a weird interpretation of the movie.  I understand the logic you're using but I think it's wrongly considered.  

If you look for demons, you will surely find them.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:09 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Why do we assume he was in hell?  They don't say that and he's not a bad person...

On 1/7/2022 at 2:17 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah. We could ALL learn a few pointers about self-sacrifice from Carol Danvers.

Which holy day is Hers, again?