• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 GOLDEN AGE COMIC BOOK MARKET REPORT
8 8

328 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, Mmehdy said:

These are not some "Youtubing" wanta get views doomsayers, which Youtube videos seem  to be on a roll for both real estate and stocks, as well as bonds in their  cross sights. When these guys above  talk you had better listen like E.F Hutton(please see classic commercial re 1970's 80's)

while i agree with your assessment on fear mongering on the tube, there's no question that a storm is coming so preparation is key

On 5/18/2022 at 12:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Actually, any thoughts from the GA boardies here on the grading evnironment going forward now that the competition is supposedly weaker with Borock leaving CBCS to join up with MCS?  hm

Lou, it is very interesting to see history sometimes repeat itself. Bruce Hamilton was the initial spokesperson for the CGC and left in a possible dispute reguarding a piece of the action which was not forthcoming. Might be the same thing here, Steve might of wanted some type of equity or stock or reward for bringing that company over and given the fact that the value of his company has probably gone up 5x due to the increased demand for graded collectables he might of wanted  to share in that gain or increase in income/profit streams. Beckett is looking mighty good on this purchase or merger or what ever you want to call in hindsight.

Steve was the CBCS.... he is the man....and CGC now gets a even bigger market share because of it, and the only reason why CBCS grew so much was the CGC backlog which still exits today. When CBCS first started, I thought there would be a merger with CGC, that the whole purpose of the company was to get some % of market share and merge...well they did with a vertical collectable grading company. However CGC over the last few years has simply blown them away, Their more consistent grading, superior holder and incredible auction results for CGC graded keys has made the GA/SA they grade more desirable and valuable upon resale either on E-bay, Auction houses or individual sale.

That dominance could be another factor why he chose to move on to Mycomicshop which is sort of a quasi E -bay and internet seller/ small auction  house. Steve was great at CGC and Ha and I am sure he will be a force for MCS and maybe transform them into a major auction house player....time will tell. But the clear winner in all of this change is 

One other factor might be at play here- With the weekly Ha auction results hitting 900K or possibly close to one million dollars...MCS needed a Ha guy to go after that market.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/18/2022 at 2:03 PM, Courageous Cat said:
On 5/18/2022 at 1:42 PM, Bookery said:

Dow down another 1100 points today.

guess the plunge protection team is on vacation this week hm

On 5/18/2022 at 2:45 PM, Dark Knight said:

Saw that today and experienced it too :facepalm:

Like a roller coaster ride for the past several months whereby it's like a dance where you go forward one step and then back two steps until you eventually fall off the cliff, depending upon how much runway you have built in therebefore you get to the edge.  :fear:  :wishluck:

And for the long time vintage comic book collectors here, doesn't it make you simply happy that you've got a growing portion of your retirement portfolio (even though it was never initially intended as such) coming from your personal comic book collection which seems to be a relatively far safer bet in times like this.  (thumbsu  :applause:

On 5/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, lou_fine said:

Like a roller coaster ride for the past several months whereby it's like a dance where you go forward one step and then back two steps until you eventually fall off the cliff, depending upon how much runway you have built in therebefore you get to the edge.  :fear:  :wishluck:

And for the long time vintage comic book collectors here, doesn't it make you simply happy that you've got a growing portion of your retirement portfolio (even though it was never initially intended as such) coming from your personal comic book collection which seems to be a relatively far safer bet in times like this.  (thumbsu  :applause:

This is true (thumbsu.  Certainly balances out the pain in the stock market lol

On 5/18/2022 at 2:59 PM, Mmehdy said:

Steve was the CBCS.... he is the man....

Can't remember for certain, but since Steve was the original founder (but probably not the money man) for CBCS, I assume he would have had at least partial ownership of the company when it was sold off to the huge Beckett Collectibles group or wharever they was called. (shrug)

Since history tends to repeat itself as you have already stated, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if there is a BCBGS (i.e. Borock Comic Book Grading Service) company in place to compete with both CGC and CBCS once Steve's anti-compete clause with the Beckett Corp. expires. :devil:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/18/2022 at 3:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Can't remember for certain, but since Steve was the original founder (but probably not the money man) for CBCS, I assume he would have had at least partial ownership of the company whne it was sold off to the huge Beckett Collectibles group or wharever they was called. (shrug)

Since history tends to repeat itself as you have already stated, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if there is a BCBGS (i.e. Borock Comic Book Grading Service) company in place to compete with both CGC and CBCS once Steve's antip-compete cluse with the Beckett Corporation expires. :devil:  lol

There was a very interesting story about the Beckett deal which might have been discussed on the boards in terms of Beckett's actual cost, but as it has turned out, it is a hit $$$ wise but while I see CGC growing and expanding with leaps and   and bounds and teaming up with the biggest hedge fund in the world Blackstone, silence over there at Beckett and probably due to corporate structure...again CGC is in the driver seat of tis one all the way.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/4/2022 at 5:50 PM, sfcityduck said:

I could not agree more.  I remember when this poster named Big Moov shared these tidbits back in 2015:

Here we are seven years later, no MF 73 has ever sold for more than what, $150K?  Am I right?  I know a 7.5 and 8.0 barely topped $100K.  A 9.0 is rumored to have hit $140K. Are you aware of some big MF 73 sale I've missed?  If anyone is, it should be you.

Meanwhile, the MH Superman 1 8.5 (highest graded) just sold for $5.3M.  An Action 1 8.5 (4th best at most) has hit $3.25M. Heck, even a lowly Batman 1 8.0 has sold for $1.44M.  And a 9.4 for $2.22M.  

That is a heck of a lot more than a 4x multiplier (or 3x or 2x) for Superman and Batman over "Aquaman and Green Arrow put together" in similar grades. 

And that's not even raising the issue of how many multiples the MH Action 1 or Allentown D27 would get over the MH MF 73 9.4. (I'm guessing 10x at least).  And that's post hitting the bullseye with Arrow on tv and the cresting of the wave with Aquaman movie.

So, yeah, I've seen some bad advice on this site.  :wink:  

What was Superman #1 CGC 8.0 selling for 7 years ago?

I never said my predictions are always correct.  I said that the advice on here rarely predicts the huge bump ups in value...especially if it's something we don't own.

Recently I posted on here that the very top comics should be worth $20M+...judging by the recent sales of sports cards.

Catelogging your collection now would be a big job… but that’s what the covid holiday was for!  For me though, I was already keeping a database of SA and GA mostly to know what I had in order to keep my want lists up to date.  I had a habit before of buying books I already had!  Of course, all such duplicates  paid off nicely in the end.  Sooner or later you will need to see exactly what you have, so why delay the pleasure of discovery?

On 5/18/2022 at 12:33 PM, Robot Man said:

A lot of my books live “on a busy street and are in a dangerous area”…

Oh man, that's my collecting focus right there. lol

On 5/19/2022 at 1:35 AM, lou_fine said:

I totally understand how you feel in terms of your post here as I also feel exactly the same way when it comes to my collection now.  (thumbsu

Unfortunately for me, I just don't seem to have the same intestinal fortitude like you to actually go through my collection to sort and catalogue everything and sadly, never ever did.  All I know is that I enjoy looking at them and then simply put them back in the same bag and order I found them in.  It just seems like an unimaginable task to sort and catalogue at this point with respect to the back issues I had brought back in the day since I had a nasty habit of leaving them in the order which they were brought. doh!  So, it's certainly a nice feeling to come across a few minor BA keys like Thor 165, Werewolf by Night 32, Iron Man 55, etc. :banana:which I never even remember ever having and right in there amongst all of the worthless drek titles like Man from Atlantis, Human Fly, Death's Head, etc. :p  :facepalm:  which had long been burned right into my mind. :)

No such luck when it comes to the GA books because I have so few of those and they clearly did cost me some money to acquire in the first place.  The only exception being a nice copy of More Fun 67 right there in amongst the other ones I had, and for the life of me, just can't remember when and where I had gotten it from and for how much.  Clearly only a few hundred dollars or else I would have remembered the book, but it's always a nice feeling when you come across little hidden treasures like these that you never thought you had in the first place.  :whee:

Such problems lol.

Hey...we age 50+-ers can't take our comics with us.  I mean I'd rather drop dead than depart with my favorite comic....but I really want to give the newbies on the GA forum some great advice.  So they can have fun all their life thinking about their item before they drop dead and it gets sold.  Seriously...it's good to not care about $.

In 3 years, I might need $ to pay for my niece's college.  Someone about age 30 should buy my Whitney Houston current valid passport when she passed away.  Because in the future I GUARANTEE this and her current valid Drivers License will be the 'rookie cards' of celebrities.  Worth $10M for sure...but after I croak lol.